The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Showing of unread messages

3 posters

Go down

In progress Showing of unread messages

Post by Guest November 23rd 2015, 10:09 pm

Hello,

I have searched alot about this on the forum and did not really find a sollution as to being 'as is' currently.

My problem: When I did not read all messages and close my browser/log off and come back all unread messages are marked as read. Thus I do not know what I did or did not read.

In one of the suggestions threads one told to make a link after using the advanced search function. And make a short url from that to post at the bottom of the categories. So users can click on that to see at least the latest active topics.
The suggestion was:
Put an * in the author field
Select 1 day or 7 days as parameter

But if I do that no posts/topics come up on our forum.
Am I being silly here? Nothing seems to get the 1 day or 7 day topics to pop up in my search.

I guess there is no option to script it to not mark unread topics as read if you did not read it yet?

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Showing of unread messages

Post by brandon_g November 23rd 2015, 10:37 pm

Hello,

I believe if you log out, it will automatically either mark all things or else forget what was read and what was unread. Thus the reason for your problem. It may also vary on how long goes by between each visit, whether your viewing on different devices or browsers, etc.

-Brandon

Showing of unread messages Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Showing of unread messages Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Showing of unread messages Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106
Language : English

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 24th 2015, 12:01 am

Thank you for your swift reply.

Yes that indeed is the problem, but as I understand it we can not avoid this?

We would rather like it that the forum does not 'forget' what we did or did not read.
In my opinion a simple cookie would do the trick, but I am no coder...

But also my question was if we can get a list of topics from 1 day or 7 days where a post has been placed.
So we have at least 'something' too see what topics where active in a short period.

I am unable to get a list out of the search function with recent postings.
A 'workaround' was posted by SophieDophs in this thread: https://help.forumotion.com/t60978-an-option-to-show-all-your-unread-postssince-joining-the-forum
But as stated, I could not get that to work...

Sorry for the trouble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape November 24th 2015, 1:16 pm

Hello. Yes we do have a problem where the icons change to marked read This is not really our side this is down to your browser thinking you have read your posts when you log out of your forum or close the page down.

We are sorry you are facing this problem i can make a report on this matter but as i said it may be that we can not do anything about it if the cookies are not saved on your browser .

Make sure your browser lets you save cookies if your not sure how to do that let me know and i will talk you in with easy steps .. All i will need is what browsers your using.

APE

PS Please also leave a URL to your forum so we can run more tests.
Without this i can not make a report to our team.

Showing of unread messages Left1212Showing of unread messages Center11Showing of unread messages Right112
Showing of unread messages Ape_b110
Showing of unread messages Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19084
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 24th 2015, 2:13 pm

Hello,

Well that is a bit weird then when all users have this problem on multiple forums.
FireFox, Chrome, IE it happens to all. And it does not matter what forum we use, it happens on this one too.
Also does not matter if the browser and such are up to date or not. And my browsers do not clean themselves up either.
And people have complained about it before and made suggestions for it to change.

Forumotion is the only one I have come across this. I can open and close a vBulletin as much as I want and nothing gets marked read.

As we do like Forumotion we only are looking for a workaround on it, if that is possible.
As I would be content with the suggestion made by SophieDophs in the link I gave too. But I do not really understand how she made her search to display the recent topics. If I put an * in the author field and select 1 day or 7 weeks it does not generate a result at all. dozens of postings are made each day, so that is not way it doesnt display a result.

Thank you for all the help, much appreciated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape November 24th 2015, 2:21 pm

ok if you give me your forum URL i will send this on to our tech team to take a look at it...

I do remember a post about this before come to think of it but right now i can't find it

if you Don't want your URL in the main forum you can send me it by PM Wink i will be happy to look in to this for you some more

APE

Showing of unread messages Left1212Showing of unread messages Center11Showing of unread messages Right112
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape November 24th 2015, 3:00 pm

Just adding to this topic .....

I have read over that topic you linked us to. That post is really old (made back in 2010)

Your forum should have the Following setting |View posts since last visit • View your posts • View unanswered posts That was put in place after that post was made.

And as for the * That was a wild care search system We no longer us that system in FM forums as it gave more problems.

As i have said give me your URL ( Forum address) and i will send this on to our team.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray November 24th 2015, 7:48 pm

If you log onto your forum and do not read new posts then log off, those new posts will show as read when you load on again.  New posts will only appear when you are not logged on and your members post or when someone post while you are logged on.

Showing of unread messages Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 26th 2015, 11:08 pm

Thank you SLGray, that is it indeed.
And there is nothing we can do to prevent the unread posts from being marked as read when we log off?

Sorry for replying so late

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g November 27th 2015, 5:30 pm

I am not sure if there is a script or anything that can prevent this and since it is a browser issue there is not much more we can do. I am not sure if a script exists to fix this or if there is one that could be developed. In any case, we can not help you further or develop a code for you unless we get the url to your forum, if you don't want it visible to the public, you can put it in hidden tags (
Code:
[hide][/hide]
and only those who reply to your topic and moderators will be able to see it.

-Brandon

Remember to mark your topic Showing of unread messages Solved15 when a solution is found.

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 27th 2015, 5:56 pm

I appreciate you wanting to help but that is not the issue. Nor a technical issue to have support for as Ape suggests... This is how the forum is programmed. But as many items in the code can be changed by us, I had hoped that that goes for this one too.

It is NOT a browser issue, it is how it is made. And this is for everyone.

SLGray seems to be the only one that understands what I mean Smile

As far as I understood, this afternoon reading about it, about phpbb3 there needs to be some server side information to be stored that is needed to have it save what you did or did not read.

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray November 27th 2015, 6:05 pm

Do you exactly have a forum hosted by Forumotion?  I also sent you a pm.  Please read it.

Showing of unread messages Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g November 27th 2015, 6:19 pm

It may be a combination of both how the forum is made and how all the browsers work. See when you login, it places a cookie in your browser, when you post and/or click to view a topic it will mark as read using that same cookie. Now while your still logged in your browser knows what you did and did not read based on this, however, when you log out (now this could be because its either how browsers or work because forumotion just doesnt save a copy of the cookie serverside), it will delete the cookie(s) that were set since you logged in. Now the reason other forums that established likely on a paid server, that you can log out and still have it accuratelly say what you have read and not read (in other words remmeber it), is because those forums probably save a copy of the cookie or whatever server side and link it with your account, so in other words when you login, it will remmeber it because the information is stored on the server under your account, not JUST on the browser.

Forumotion probably does save a copy of the cookies placed during your session on the browser due to the fact that forumotion is a free service providers with millions and millions of forums hosted on it, for it to save every session for every user on every forum would probably overload the servers and simply be too much. When you login to a forumotion forum, your browser and ONLY your browser gets a cookie placed in it, this cookie will remain there until you logout or else your browser cookies, whichever comes first, at which point it will delete the cookies and all information will be forgotten. All browsers work like this, the difference is on forums with paid servers, they save some of the information that your browser usually saves in each session and then forgets, on the server, so the next time you visit, it has data from your previous visit saved and all looks how it did the last time.

Hope this provides some clarity?

-Brandon

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 28th 2015, 10:35 pm

Thank you for the additional information Brandon_g.

Yesterday it did work from around 18:30 all night (CET time). and everyone was happy about that.
I do not know who or what but it almost worked as it should.

Today we are back to normal it seems Sad

Back to top Go down