The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Permissions access for posting contributions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should we be able to restrict the access of members dependant on how many posts they have contributed?

50% 50% 
[ 2 ]
50% 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Permissions access for posting contributions

Post by Witchs-Haven on March 25th 2008, 2:06 pm

Okay I am not sure if this should be in this section so I will plough ahead any way. I am sure that other forums are having the same problems as me getting people to post. I have all these members but most of them are lurkers. So I have a suggestion which I have seen work on other forums which are not affiliated with this platform.

1. When a person registers to a forum they would only have access as in viewing and posting only certain parts of the forum, such as the introduce your self section, lounge (general discussion), and what ever else you have in this section of the forum. This is what I have: The Hearth consist of Merry Meet, The Lounge, The ladder out of the Slough of Dispond, and Frolicking fun. So if you understand what I am getting at these new members until they have posted a certain amount of posts they can not view or post in any parts of the forum. Witch's Haven is a reference forum so it has a lot of people coming in and reading and not posting.

2. The next level of permissions depends on the member how oftend they visit the forum and post, if they don't post after a while they will revert back to new member status and loose the privilage of reading what is in the rest of the forum.

Is that understandable? If not ask me to explain further. I am not sure if this should be an update for all forums but I think it would benefit everyone. As there is nothing worse in a forum when there is no new posts from other members to get the circulation running and stopping the stagnation.
WH

Last edited by Caihlem on April 6th 2008, 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding Pol doesn't really need one but have to.)

Witchs-Haven

Female Posts : 19
Language : English

http://witchs-haven.forumotion.com/admin/index.forum?sid=a737d60

Back to top Go down

Re: Permissions access for posting contributions

Post by Guest on March 25th 2008, 2:20 pm

It is possible now.
For new members set up a group called for instance "initiates" and set the permissions for this group to only the introduce yourself post.
Then for subsequent ranks set the permissions to only view the parts you want them to see.
Set a minimum post count for each of the groups and there you have it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim on March 25th 2008, 2:23 pm

you must add a poll to your suggestion

Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

http://jalokimgraphics.pl

Back to top Go down

Post by Witchs-Haven on March 31st 2008, 2:25 pm

badger11 wrote:It is possible now.
For new members set up a group called for instance "initiates" and set the permissions for this group to only the introduce yourself post.
Then for subsequent ranks set the permissions to only view the parts you want them to see.
Set a minimum post count for each of the groups and there you have it. Very Happy

Thanks Badger again, I will have to start organising groups. I have only incentative groups so far, which require a certain amount of posts to join and then they get certain access. I think I read some where that you can cancel add for some members after they have posted a certain amount of post. I also run writing competitions which promise the user that their articles will be published to promote my site on certain sites that we are affiliated in our community. The work is never done...lol, time to get the whip out again and get back to work.

Witchs-Haven

Back to top Go down

Post by KQ on April 1st 2008, 1:36 am

But do the minimum post counts on the group mean when they reach these minimum post counts they are automatically joined into that group there afterwards Badger? Or does it have to be manually done.

KQ
Forumember

Male Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post by Witchs-Haven on April 6th 2008, 3:28 pm

@KQ wrote:But do the minimum post counts on the group mean when they reach these minimum post counts they are automatically joined into that group there afterwards Badger? Or does it have to be manually done.

At the moment they have to be manually added, so you have to keep up on your members list which will show you how many posts they have done. I have just implemented this in my forum so far so good.

Basically any one that joins are just normall members whom have basic privilages such as reading and replying, and voting in pols. The member in the Top posters group have access to editing and deleting their own messages and creating a pol, they also have access to certain forums which the normal memebers don't. It took me so long to go through all the permissions for each forum to get them just right and then add all the members whom have posted above the ten post mark. A lot of work but now it is done

Witchs-Haven

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem on April 6th 2008, 3:34 pm

Poll limited to Yes and No, other options removed, and Mulltiple Choice option removed

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by tyhodge07 on April 6th 2008, 3:40 pm

i voted yes, since this would be great to have, say 50 posts to be able to view the classifieds on my forum

tyhodge07
Forumember

Male Posts : 708
Language : english

http://rcmodzone.all-up.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on April 6th 2008, 4:26 pm

This was already suggested before you here: http://help.forumotion.com/suggestions-for-your-forums-f30/mod-forum-auth-by-post-count-t7182.htm

I guess all that work I did to list all the suggestions in one topic still dont prevent double posting..................

Back to top Go down

Post by Witchs-Haven on April 23rd 2008, 9:14 am

@Kilsek wrote:This was already suggested before you here: http://help.forumotion.com/suggestions-for-your-forums-f30/mod-forum-auth-by-post-count-t7182.htm

I guess all that work I did to list all the suggestions in one topic still dont prevent double posting..................

I visited your link and noted that it was posted in 2007, the way these forum go the oldest post some times get lost so when searching for such things if you don't have the exact wording it won't come up on the radar so to speak. The more it gets notice maybe one of the upgrades will soon be this one, although I think it might be a bit to detailed to happen over night...Smile
WH

Witchs-Haven

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on March 25th 2013, 12:26 pm

Suggestion Clean up

-> Old suggestions(Please feel to create a new thread for the garbaged old suggestions)
-> Implemented suggestions
-> Suggestion which are currently suggested (Please use the SEARCH function)
-> Unclear Suggestions

Locked & Garbaged

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum