The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

User Activation not working

3 posters

Go down

In progress User Activation not working

Post by Dr.Intern March 1st 2016, 4:12 pm

Technical Details

Forum version : #Invision
Position : Founder
Concerned browser(s) : Google Chrome
Who the problem concerns : All members
Forum link : chaoticbackup.forumotion.com

Description of problem

Our forum allows user activation of accounts. A while back, the setting was changed to Admin authentication. I received a bunch of emails and paid no attention to them until a new user had sent a message saying their account required admin authentication. I went to the admin panel and changed it back to user authentication.

I haven't seen any new emails concerning this, so I assumed the problem was solved. Yesterday I received a new message saying they required admin authentication. I hadn't received an email and after checking the settings, it was still set to user authentication. Today I found out that another of our admins was receiving these emails instead.

On a side note, we've recently have had an influx of new accounts from "free-mail". I saw a post that had said the domain was blocked, yet new accounts were created today. Are these problems related?
https://help.forumotion.com/t145966-2040-false-email-free-mail-top
Dr.Intern
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: User Activation not working

Post by brandon_g March 1st 2016, 4:35 pm

Hello,

The problem that your are having with it auto resetting back to admin activation, is due to our anti spam system, if your forum is inactive (meaning doesnt get alot of posts a day or maybe a post every couple days etc), the system will force the setting to remain at admin activation until the forum is active again, at which time it will automatically switch it over to the setting you set it to (in this case User activation). When your forum has gotten more activity, it will automatically revert your setting, but until then you or another admin must manually activate each new account by hand.

As for the free forum thing, the one was banned on our systems was @free-mail.top , anything else with .top or any email address dubbed free-mail with no .top, will still go through.

If you have something from @free-mail.top , it is probably a slightly older registation that has been awaiting activation. I would just delete the account, as it is most likely a spammer Wink.

-Brandon

User Activation not working Brando10
Remember to mark your topic User Activation not working Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

User Activation not working Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape March 1st 2016, 8:41 pm

I would like to add a little on the Free-mail thing

One good way to fix this is to ban this your self

ACP >> Users & Groups >>  User Activation not working Utilisateur Users >> Ban Control >> Ban an Email address

in the Box add this
*@free-mail.top
or the Email address you have a problem with but only add the last part from @ making sure you add the wild card tag >> * before the @

User Activation not working Left1212User Activation not working Center11User Activation not working Right112
User Activation not working Ape_b110
User Activation not working Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19084
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Intern March 1st 2016, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the response. The anti-spam does make sense.

I would like to know why specifically my account is not receiving the admin activation emails.
Dr.Intern
Forumember

Back to top Go down