The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Black Text On Black/ Dark Grey Backdrop Bug On All Forum Dropdown Menus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Black Text On Black/ Dark Grey Backdrop Bug On All Forum Dropdown Menus

Post by Captain Hunk on October 7th 2016, 7:31 pm

Technical Details

Forum version : #phpBB2
Position : Founder
Concerned browser(s) : Google Chrome
Screenshot of problem : https://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/17/60/15/30/drop_d10.jpg
Who the problem concerns : All members
When the problem appeared : It happened after the new feature (i.e., Classified Ads) went live on October 6th.
Forum link : ( link is hidden, you must reply to see )

Description of problem

Title pretty much says it all. You can barely read the black text. When looking at the CSS fields, none of the white color codes for text work. System does not recognize.

This bug is affecting PC users. Mobile users are not affected. They see the white text in their dropdown menus. Could be a Chrome related issue. None of them use IE, or Firefox.

Captain Hunk
Forumember

Male Posts : 129
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Black Text On Black/ Dark Grey Backdrop Bug On All Forum Dropdown Menus

Post by SLGray on October 7th 2016, 7:40 pm

Well have you tried the other browsers? If they all use Chrome, it does sound like a browser-related issue.

I am use PC Firefox 49.0.1. I see white text.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Black Text On Black/ Dark Grey Backdrop Bug On All Forum Dropdown Menus

Post by Captain Hunk on October 7th 2016, 7:53 pm

None of them have Firefox installed. And none of them, including myself, wish to use IE. Not being stubborn. We're a small, private forum.

The bug is not a major problem; Just a minor nuisance.

Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on October 7th 2016, 8:03 pm

I do not see an issue.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Valoish on October 7th 2016, 8:07 pm

Did you try adding !important in the CSS for all the white text values? There might be a CSS line that was added into your Stylesheet after the update and it needs to be overwritten using !important.

Edit: I'm currently on Chrome (on PC) and I typed in something in the Username field for the login page and the text was white: Click.
So it seems like this is only happening in the Memberlist search?

Valoish
Forumember

Female Posts : 109

http://www.canvasforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk on October 7th 2016, 8:21 pm

@Valoish No, I have not added. How could I know really? I'll learn something new after this bug is fixed. lol

@SLGray I could not tell in the log in screen because it has always looked normal there: black text with a yellow backdrop. But inside the forum, where Guests are not permitted to view or post anything, all drop down menus are in black text.

It turns out that one of our members who has Android showed me what wasn't there before:

She naturally uses Chrome with her phone.

Last edited by Captain Hunk on October 8th 2016, 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected image)

Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on October 7th 2016, 8:29 pm

If you posted an image, I do not see it.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Valoish on October 7th 2016, 8:33 pm

LOL. Try adding the !important after the white color in your CSS and see if it works for you.
ACP > Display > Colors > CSS Stylesheet
Then simply look for all the areas that say "color: #ffffff;" or "color: white" and add !important at the end of the color value so it looks something like:
Code:
color: #ffffff!important;

If that doesn't work you may have to add a new line of CSS to your current CSS but before we do that let's see if this suggestion works.

Valoish
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by APE on October 7th 2016, 8:37 pm

Yes i have the same problem in the Title text color code its all black there is no color text like there should be

see the screen shot:
Screen shot:

APE
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 8609
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Valoish on October 7th 2016, 8:43 pm

@APE Is this on Mozilla Firefox 49.0.1?

Valoish
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by APE on October 7th 2016, 8:58 pm

its in firefox / IE and Chrome

APE
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk on October 7th 2016, 9:04 pm

@Valoish I'd like to try that out, but I need to see if this is just an isolated issue with my forum, or if this is affecting all forums that have non-white backdrops for their drop down menus.

I did take some screenshots and put them in this image so you can see precisely what I have described:

• Fig. A is from the Members List.
  • Fig. B is from the Smileys box.
  • Fig. C is from the character sheet when Modifying.

In light of what @APE just shared, thankfully, it looks like this:

Only the 'None (use implicit)' text is black. The rest is as it should be.

Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Valoish on October 7th 2016, 9:13 pm

@APE That's odd.. I know SLGray had a similar issue with Ange's color theme picker after updating to FF 49.. But I'm not too sure what might be causing it to not work on IE and Chrome. It might be some conflicting code from the new update that's affecting phpBB3 forums, but Idk for sure. But if it is, the best solution would be to contact a pro admin..

@Captain Hunk Ahh okay. If I remember correctly, I've seen a few topics around the forum yesterday and today about dark text on a dark backdrop after the update so I think it isn't just your forum. The suggestion I made above is a possible quick fix for the meantime. There is another one that's also CSS-based that I can think of, but I'll hold off on that one for now.
Tag me in this topic once you give my first suggestion a try and we'll figure stuff out from there. c:

Valoish
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireWicked on October 8th 2016, 6:35 pm

I'm having the same issue as @Captain Hunk , however my forum is pitch black.
Trying to type & edit posts i can't see nothing till after whatever is posted.

Alot of the members on my forum just want to use the standard bbcode, read, post information, images, edit, add links & be done with it.
Members want a simple forum to post on not facebook.

So what's with the crazy unnecessary updates?
The effect each forum difficulty & possibly in bad ways for particular browser types.

VampireWicked
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on October 8th 2016, 11:23 pm

@VampireWicked wrote:I'm having the same issue as @Captain Hunk , however my forum is pitch black.

Alot of the members on my forum just want to use the standard bbcode, read, post information, images, edit, add links & be done with it.

The effect each forum difficulty & possibly in bad ways for particular browser types.

The classified ads update should not be changing the colors of the menus or other things. I really do not believe it is the update itself, but a glitch in the release process.

If you have modified the templates. you need to check these: http://help.forumotion.com/t148489-templates-for-the-classified-ads .

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireWicked on October 9th 2016, 5:24 am

@SLGray wrote:
@VampireWicked wrote:I'm having the same issue as @Captain Hunk , however my forum is pitch black.

The classified ads update should not be changing the colors of the menus or other things. I really do not believe it is the update itself, but a glitch in the release process.

If you have modified the templates. you need to check these: http://help.forumotion.com/t148489-templates-for-the-classified-ads .
The forum isn't modified, it's not changing color of the menu but the posted text color itself.
Instead of seeing each letter typed out i see a blue line.
Members click preview & the preview displays what's typed but seeing as members type shows absolutely nothing but a blue line.

1. Is the post window showing black text on a pitch black background
1.A And YES that is the size of my forum's posting window, which was effected AWHILE back.
Before this recent update members had to turn on java script to resize the post window, & now java script on or off does absolutely nothing.

2. Is showing the actual text that was typed out but not seen while typing

3. For some reason the menu icon image links have appear as invalid..............On my forum & This one as well.

The forum was perfect when i joined in 2011 & now It's like every other update from then till now turns things worse like when PSHome got updates, effects users differently & not in good ways.

VampireWicked
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on October 9th 2016, 6:57 am

@VampireWicked wrote:
@SLGray wrote:

The forum isn't modified, it's not changing color of the menu but the posted text color itself.
Members click preview & the preview displays what's typed but seeing as members type shows absolutely nothing but a blue line.

1.A And YES that is the size of my forum's posting window, which was effected AWHILE back.
Before this recent update members had to turn on java script to resize the post window, & now java script on or off does absolutely nothing.

3. For some reason the menu icon image links have appear as invalid..............On my forum & This one as well.

The forum was perfect when i joined in 2011 & now It's like every other update from then till now turns things worse like when PSHome got updates, effects users differently & not in good ways.
Are the members who are having this issue using the same device and browser?

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireWicked on October 10th 2016, 3:16 am

@SLGray wrote:
@VampireWicked wrote:
@SLGray wrote:

Are the members who are having this issue using the same device and browser?
The majority of members having issues since the post window shrank, remember (Only Topic!) New Editor & those that decided to stay haven't gotten that tired of it yet but don't frequent as much because of it.
I'm guessing different devices different browsers but similar enough to cause the same feelings towards the updates.
Most were mobile, some were PC, using different browsers.

What update are being used on the help-forum because the layout here minus one minor problem is alot more tolerable then the forum i'm using & isn't showing the same irritating issues.

VampireWicked
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on October 10th 2016, 6:11 am

All updates that our forums get the support forum also gets.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireWicked on October 10th 2016, 9:20 pm

@SLGray wrote:All updates that our forums get the support forum also gets.
Are you replying to me because i can't tell.
Please can you either quote or tag me so i know someone has replied to me, thanks.

Secondly
If the SupportForum got the New Editor Update then why does my forum, unmodded forum has post window size problem & the SupportForum doesn't ?

Are all forums using the same server or something ?
If users forum's are screwed up or having twitchy issues & the SupportForum isn't experiencing the same issues then maybe that's where SupportForum geek squad can look into the problem.

Does the SupportForum use the same initial default settings as every other un-modded forum ?
Cause if i can see text as i type, & the post window size is normal, then maybe the default settings in the SupportForum's administrator control panel could be used to help my or anyone else's board.

VampireWicked
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireWicked on October 11th 2016, 10:04 pm

@SLGray
Hello ?
Secondly
If the SupportForum got the New Editor Update then why does my forum, unmodded forum has post window size problem & the SupportForum doesn't ?

Are all forums using the same server or something ?

If users forum's are screwed up or having twitchy issues & the SupportForum isn't experiencing the same issues then maybe that's where SupportForum geek squad can look into the problem.

Does the SupportForum use the same initial default settings as every other un-modded forum ?

Cause if i can see text as i type, & the post window size is normal, then maybe the default settings in the SupportForum's administrator control panel could be used to help my or anyone else's board.

VampireWicked
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on October 11th 2016, 10:16 pm

What new editor update are you referring to? There has been no new editor update.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by APE on October 11th 2016, 11:27 pm

Hello all members.

Lets just clear this up.

There was No editor Update this bug may have been a problem from our new Ad's software conflicting with some browsers.

This problem has been reported but we have not had any news on a fix on this as of yet.

APE
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by VampireWicked on October 12th 2016, 4:16 am

@SLGray wrote:What new editor update are you referring to? There has been no new editor update.
Are you replying to me, if so can you either tag or quote me please.

Secondly the link i posted about the small post window size isn't about a new update involving the editor (which the SupportForum never cared enough to solve), it's about whatever last editor update that caused THAT problem.

The Black Text On Black/ Dark Grey is the latest problem.

VampireWicked
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk on October 13th 2016, 2:49 am

@Valoish
@SLGray

Issue has been resolved. White text is back! Thanks Forumotion Team for fixing this.

Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on October 13th 2016, 2:55 am

Problem solved & topic archived.
Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum