The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

May I ask a staff person to do another backup of my forum?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved May I ask a staff person to do another backup of my forum?

Post by CalvinNHobbs2 on January 27th 2017, 5:34 am

First topic message reminder :

Technical Details

Forum version : #PunBB
Position : Founder
Concerned browser(s) : Mozilla Firefox
Who the problem concerns : All members
When the problem appeared : Last week
Forum link : http://darrencrissfanforum.forumotion.com/

Description of problem

Hello,

Due to an error on my part, some posts were lost last week. I did a back-up as of the most recent date (January 19). I was wondering if a staff person in the office would be so kind as to do another back-up, so that I can restore all the posts that I lost?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by CalvinNHobbs2 on February 11th 2017, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
CalvinNHobbs2
Forumember

Language : English

http://darrencrissfanforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: May I ask a staff person to do another backup of my forum?

Post by CalvinNHobbs2 on February 11th 2017, 4:06 am

Thank you both for your replies.

Thanks for the answer about the limit of how many backups can be done on a day.

So I understand that I lost some posts and they are gone and cannot be brought back, because I made a mistake in the backup process. I understand nothing will return those posts. I accept that. I just want to understand what mistake I made that resulted in my losing the data, so that I do not repeat that mistake the next time I need to do a backup.

SL Gray wrote: Example: You want to restore your forum on January 1, 2017. There were 5 new topics and 100 new posts on January 31, 2017. When you restore your forum to January 1, 2017, you will lose the ones on January 31, 2017. If there is a bcakup date of February 1, 2017, you can restore those on January 31, 2017. So you will have to do 2 restore dates: January 1 and February 1, 2017. This also applies to members. It depends on what kind of backup you pick to do.

I thought I did this, but I must have done something wrong, because the members' posts made January 20-23 were not returned. On January 23, I accidentally deleted a thread. So on January 23, I went to my Founders' Tools and selected "January 19" to do one backup. Then I waited until today, when I did a backup using the date of "February 9" on my Founders' Tools. But the posts from January 20-23 did not return. What did I do wrong? I know I did something wrong, just not sure what. I know my posts are lost forever. I accept that. I just want to know what I did wrong so I don't make the same mistake in the future.

@APE wrote: . . . first of all you did a backup of a set date and there was no other dates to back up from so you did the one at the top of the list that was something like the 19/01/17 then you did the same one again. now there was no other date newer than that so the backup took you to the last date showing. you then lost posts made after that date.

APE, your understanding of what I did is mostly correct. I did one backup for the date January 19. (I did not do a second backup for that same date January 19; I only used the date January 19 once).

Then today, I did a backup today using the date of February 9.

I'm ok now with the realization that due to a mistake I did, that I lost the posts after January 19. But can you tell me a step-by-step way that I would have done the backup correctly (so that I will know for future reference how to do a backup without losing data).

Is this the correct way to have done the backup, so that I would not have lost the posts after January 19:

--Wait until there was a backup date was available on my Founders' Tools that was on or after the date I accidentally deleted a thread/topic (so I should have waited until a date on/after January 23, which was the day that I accidentally deleted a thread).

--Once a date on/after January 23 became available, do a backup using the second most recent date on my Founders' Tools (February 2),

--Then do a second backup with the most recent date on my Founders' Tools (February 9)?

Would this had been the correct way so that I would not have lost the posts after January 20. I guess I should have waited, because I did the first back up using a date (January 19) that was too early?

CalvinNHobbs2
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on February 11th 2017, 5:57 am

You should have done the restores on the same day. Do the first one then wait 5 minutes and do the next one.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 38226

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CalvinNHobbs2 on February 11th 2017, 8:53 am

SL Gray, got it. Thanks. Also, thank you APE too. Have a good week.
CalvinNHobbs2
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on February 11th 2017, 12:14 pm

Problem solved & topic archived.
Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8501
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: