The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum "Terms of Service" editing

2 posters

Go down

Forum "Terms of Service" editing Empty Forum "Terms of Service" editing

Post by ShinyFirefly January 16th 2018, 5:29 pm

I noticed that I can only add to the terms of service agreement provided by Forumotion.  The Terms of Service actually has wording in there that I would never use, probably because it's translated from French.   Like this:

"If you post informations which come from another site
, look first if the site in question doesn't forbid it. Show the address of the site in question in order to respect the work of their administrators!"

First, there's an error in spacing.  Second, that is not efficient wording.  "Informations" should be "information," no 's'. Anyone who posts information on our forum from somewhere else should link the source, not just "show the address of the site in question..." Linking helps SEO.

There are a couple other translation issues as well.  It makes it look a bit disjointed and amateurish.

I'm going to post my own rules for how I want my posters to post. Terms of Service for use of a forum really shouldn't have anything to do with whether I let them use SMS-style speaking or not.  And it shouldn't even refer to how or when the moderators move or delete messages.

It also refers to French law.  My domain is registered in the U.S., therefore content published through that domain is subject to U.S. law.

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like this can be changed very easily, if at all.  The powers that be should really take a look at addressing this issue.

I'm going to have to basically recreate a more thorough Terms of Service and say, "disregard that up there, here's what it should REALLY say."  TOS's should refer to account privacy, minimum ages, license to publish, privacy policy, etc.  None of that is in there.
ShinyFirefly
ShinyFirefly

Female Posts : 21
Language : English

http://www.spoilerthings.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Forum "Terms of Service" editing Empty Re: Forum "Terms of Service" editing

Post by brandon_g January 16th 2018, 5:35 pm

Hello,

You are correct. You can edit the tos text that is on the sign up page, all you can do is add on to it. What I recommend is making a topic with the terms of use you are going to be enforcing and then add a link to it on that tos page. That is what I have done on my forum and it works with no hassles.

I agree the english is not that good and should be edited. It is the same with the faq, I personally have tried several times to get the faq edited but it never happens, mainly because our team is focused on fixing bugs and new features and the tos and faq are so minor (most people probably don't even read it after all). I don't think either will be edited for quite some time unfortunatelly. Until then, all you can do is create a topic with your own terms of use and post a link to it on that page.

-Brandon

Forum "Terms of Service" editing Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Forum "Terms of Service" editing Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Forum "Terms of Service" editing Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106
Language : English

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down