The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Grant an ignore/block ability to registered members.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

67% 67% 
[ 8 ]
33% 33% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 12

Post by Petal on February 8th 2007, 9:17 pm

Moderators and administrators cannot always be present to diffuse bad situations before they become problems. Spammers and griefers can do a significant amount of damage to a forum community in less than an hour's time. Submitting reports do not give the immediate relief of swift justice that the presence of a moderator or administrator gives.

So then, in addition to allowing our members to report, I am requesting that they be allowed to block those that they feel are offensive to them. The feature would block all posts, chats, profiles and PMs of the ignored individual from the eyes of the member ignoring him/her. Basically, the ignored individual will cease to exist to whichever member is ignoring him/her. I further propose that individual ignore/block lists be supplied to each member to be seen only by that member. This way, the member may keep track of who he/she is blocking. This list would allow the member to add or remove individuals to ignore. Also, if it does not strain any space or bandwith limits, each member's list should either be limitless or have a very high limit.

Thoughts?

Petal
Forumember

Female Posts : 84
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Grant an ignore/block ability to registered members.

Post by Caihlem on February 8th 2007, 9:31 pm

Sounds good Very Happy

Hard to do (I think) but I like the idea Wink

P.S: Multi-vote option removed

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xaphania on February 8th 2007, 9:57 pm

Hmm... I don't really like this idea. I can see the benefits, but I think on a community site it could provoke arguments and anger between members.

Say there's a general chat thread, and you have a person on a block list, it will appear as though you're ignoring their posts on purpose - making you look mean and perhaps creating ill feeling.

I know all too well how things on a message board can degenerate into petty arguments, but these things need to be sorted out, not blocked and swept to the side.

xaphania
Forumember

Female Posts : 371
Language : English, French

http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster on February 9th 2007, 12:43 am

@Caihlem wrote:Sounds good Very Happy

Hard to do (I think) but I like the idea Wink

P.S: Multi-vote option removed

not hard to do at all its just a "MOD".

I vote yes, because users should have this right, however I never use it, lol.

Buster
Forumember

Male Posts : 547

Back to top Go down

Post by Isabel_Kitty on February 9th 2007, 5:11 pm

I like the idea of an ignore list. If you don't want to read what someone is typing, you can ignore them. I think it would be good if it made it so you didn't see/read their posts at all. And they can't PM you.

Isabel_Kitty
Forumember

Female Posts : 131

http://mommahaven.goodforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by elfie on February 10th 2007, 8:43 pm

I like the idea with regards to the pm's, though I agree with Xaphania that this could just cause further problems with the community side of the board

elfie
Forumember

Female Posts : 126

http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Petal on February 10th 2007, 9:28 pm

Good points made against the original proposal. So then, perhaps add specifics to the ignore list? For example (and, please, pardon the crude MS Paint drawing):

I had originally thought of keeping out the option of blocking forum posts. But I too believe that members should have the right to decide what he/she may or may not view. Will everyone use the feature? I honestly do not believe so. But the option to have this feature empowers our members on an individual level.

Please keep in mind the situation that happened not too long ago, expressed in the threads titled "Banning Proxy Servers, Multiple Log Ins", "How to banproxy servers? Urgent!!" and "Banning Proxy Servers pt3" which eventually led to the involvement of the US FBI. I agree that this situation is one that does not happen to all forum boards. Also, this situation is of the extreme nature. Then again, it is such an uncommon occurance that most of us (if not all of us) are all-too-familiar with these types of scenarios.

Yes, it is the administration team's duty to take care of these issues via warnings and bans. But the members suffer in the meantime. They must tolerate the individual(s) while they wait for the administration team to take action. The members are powerless to do anything but submit a report.

By the way, perhaps it would be best if the use of this feature was decided by the administrator? To be enabled or disabled for the entire site just as private messages are able to be enabled or disabled?

Petal
Forumember

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum