The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Improve the Search Feature

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should the Search Feature be Improved?

89% 89% 
[ 8 ]
11% 11% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 9

Improve the Search Feature

Post by rivperformance on February 16th 2007, 5:42 am

Hi,

It would be most helpful if the search feature had an option to search for words inside posts, rather than only in the subject line. Other bulletin boards have better searching power, so you can find relavent posts more easily based on the content of the post, not the title.

My board is composed of automotive discussion forums that function as a knowledge base for fellow members. We talk about all kinds of technical issues, but members don't always include key search words in the subject title. This means if someone searches for a topic, they won't always find it. They will post a new topic instead, which is redundant.

An example would be as follows:

Someone posts about an engine noise. The subject might be "Help: Grinding Noise Coming from Under Hood" After a few posts, the problem is identified as a bad idler pulley. Someone else posts instructions on how to replace the pulley.

A few months later, another member with the same problem comes to the board looking for info on replacing their failing idler pulley. They key into the search field: "Idler Pulley", but it returns no results.

If the search feature could scan post content, it would be truly useful. The way it is now, it's not that helpful to someone who is really looking for something. For example, this topic could've posted this before, but I'd have no way of knowing (I searched for "search" and returned only 3 results... none were in the Suggestion Section).

Thanks in advance for any help.

AA

rivperformance
Forumember

Male Posts : 61
Language : English

http://www.rivperformance.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Improve the Search Feature

Post by lockelymarkets on February 16th 2007, 11:53 am

I am pretty sure if you use advanced search it can enable searching by post.

But I could be wrong.

lockelymarkets
Forumember

Male Posts : 455
Language : English, French and German. Please PM for MSN address.

http://transit.forumzen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rivperformance on February 16th 2007, 4:31 pm

Thanks lockelymarkets. I explored the advanced search, and found that using the Google search option does improve search capability, but the results must not be freshly updated, as I tried searching for "advanced, wrong" and could not produce this thread.

Even with the Google option, it seems a hassle to have to go into advanced mode to do something so simple. I really like the quick and easy interface of the search feature, just wish it were more powerful.

rivperformance
Forumember

Male Posts : 61

http://www.rivperformance.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pafl3a on February 16th 2007, 10:36 pm

it will be great if will be a "advance search" option (with 1 word or combination)
u will be able to find more quickly what u looking for (all about ur wishes).

Pafl3a
Forumember

Male Posts : 103
Language : romanian & english

http://www.g-m-a.realbb.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Petal on February 21st 2007, 10:53 pm

This is a wonderful poll. I also support the option of word combinations.

May I add that the advance feature not differentiate between singular and plural words (i.e. "point" vs. "points")? Currently, 2 different lists of results come up between singular and plural types of the same word.

Petal
Forumember

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum