The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Add a spell checker to the admin panel?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Add a spell checker to admin panel?

79% 79% 
[ 58 ]
21% 21% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 73

Add a spell checker to the admin panel?

Post by Mrs S on October 5th 2008, 3:10 am

First topic message reminder :

I am a member of several different forums who's members can't spell so it makes reading their posts fairly difficult, one forum had that many complaints about people's spelling mistakes that they installed a spell checker and the quality of the post dramatically improved. Would it be possible to add a spell checker to the admin panel that can be activated or deactivated by the admin? It would be joined to the text box icons so that it can be used every time a person makes a post or sends a pm. Do you think they're a good idea?

Mrs S

Female Posts : 17
Language : English

http://the-phantom-foxes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Add a spell checker to the admin panel?

Post by InsanityVonMike on January 4th 2009, 9:18 pm

problem solved! now can a mod please close this thread?

InsanityVonMike
Forumember

Male Posts : 362
Language : Swedish, English

http://www.ecuhq.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles on January 5th 2009, 10:34 am

InsanityVonMike, what gives you the right to decide what is solved and what should be locked? Only the thread author or a staff member can make that decision!! Do that again, and you will get your first warning!

Thread UNlocked!

Daijiro wrote:If they can't spell they shouldn't be on your forum. I am yet to come across a 13 year old that can't use basic grammar or spelling.

If they are under 13, they shouldn't be on your forum.

Daijiro

Daijiro, enough of the insults on members! I KNOW you know this rule! As you know, since you have been banned before, you are not privy to the 3 warning rule, but rather the 1 ban rule. One infraction will result in an immediate ban, and this is it.

Member Banned!

To comment on what has been said in regards to this insult and this suggestion...

As others have stated, there are MANY people who are not as fortunate as others when it comes to spelling. Some of the most brilliant people I know, in regards to science, math, inventors couldn't spell worth a crap. I have also heard of many famous writers who could not spell very well either, but that just means their special talents are else wheres. This doesn't mean they do NOT have the right to go places due to their abilities and talents, or there lack of.

In regards to those saying that it is just as simple as getting Firefox. Yes this is true....and by the way, you don't need to download the add-on, there is one automatically installed as default in firefox when it is downloaded and installed, you just have to enable it.

Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> check mark Check My Spelling As I Type >> Click OK

But back to the Firefox solution. I volunteer at libraries, homes, and many other forums helping newbies learn basic internet functions....and basic computer functions as well as other things depending upon their learning level.

A great part of these ppl are elderly. And the computer world is very intimidating to them. Yet it is commendable that they are "trying" to learn something hard for them to comprehend. Depending on their learning abilities, I try to make things as easy and streamlined as possible.

I do teach them how to go to forums, as I have a couple security forums set up for them to get their free security program update notifications. So they do learn forums from me.

The thing is, that too much info can sometimes be WAY too much for them. And while I ALWAYS recommend Firefox as it is safer and all around easier to use, just the fact that there is two browsers on their computer is more than they can take, and it can be too overwhelming. So for some people getting Firefox is NOT an option.

Some people have slow computers or no space and cannot handle to add Firefox. So what might be a simple solution to some, might not be a simple solution to others, or even a solution at all.

Everyone here has the right to their voice and opinions here in regards to suggestions, please respect them. While this does not guarantee any suggestions to be approved, as long as this suggestion stays open and alive, I suggest that everyone keep their insulting of others who might not be as computer literate or other talents or skills to themselves.

Thank you!!

Skittles

Edited to add...

@Mrs S wrote:Why shouldn't I have under 13 on my forum?
Mrs S, I sent you a pm in regards to this. I did not want to get off topic here, in this suggestion thread. If you or anyone else has any further questions in regards to why you cannot have children under the age of 13 on your forum, then please start a new topic in the Other section of the Support forum.

Thanks

Last edited by Skittles on January 6th 2009, 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : make word correction, as pointed out by Scamite/Daijiro/Allianite)

Skittles
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

http://moonlightcafe.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalokim on January 5th 2009, 2:09 pm

Psi-chotic! wrote:
Daijiro wrote:If they can't spell they shouldn't be on your forum. I am yet to come across a 13 year old that can't use basic grammar or spelling.

If they are under 13, they shouldn't be on your forum.

Daijiro
Lucky for you that you don't have any issues with dyslexia.
my spouse has a genius IQ but can't spell for anything.
and my soon to be 13 year old is in honors english and honor roll, but occasionally has spelling errors.
Until someone can fully understand disgraphic issues, they shouldn't make declarations.

personally, I think people getting all worked up over spelling is a waste of time.
but to each their own.

I have a couple dyslectic friends so I know what its like... But leaving dyslexia aside ...
a group of Oxford students conjured up an experiment ... they wanted to check the way people read incorrectly spelled words. The results are fascinating.
Turns up that people who claim to understand a language well (so we are looking at high school kids and up) don't read words letter by letter.
Apparently all you need, is to have the first and last letter of a word in the correct place, in order to correctly read the text. One thing that is important is to have all the letters of the word.

This is actually a very interesting experiment... they even tried it at our school, and yes most people read the text without a problem... only after a while of reading did they notice the letters where incorrectly placed.
So all in all spelling mistakes come naturally and most of the time we don't even notice mistakes.

Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

http://jalokimgraphics.pl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom on January 5th 2009, 5:30 pm

I'm dyslexic I use Internet Explorer I just use the google toolbars spellchecker.

Einstein was dyslexic, It says nothing about how smart you are.

Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Female Posts : 996

http://cherrydesigns.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini on January 5th 2009, 6:33 pm

This decision was very hard for me. I ve been reading through all posts. Been almost on the side of No, but then voted Yes.

Tho :

@middo2 wrote:Tell them to get Mozilla...it comes with a spell check Wink

@Doctor Inferno wrote:Would it be better if we just use Firefox with a spell checker? It saves the techies more time and can focus on other projects.

@Pacific wrote:Well I think that they must just learn to spell... How will they learn if they have a button and it correct all their mistakes?

@ECarminan15 wrote:Firefox and Safari have a spell checker. Tell them to get either one of those.

@Base wrote:I voted no. As many member have stated, use Mozilla Firefox or learn how to spell correctly.
These people pointed out the obvious. English isnt my mother language and everything i know, i had to learn by myself. That doesnt prevent me from checking words on Google to check how they are spelled. You just need to put some effort in your posts. Its not hard.

Off : it is beyond me where Skittles saw insults in Daijiro`s post. I read it a couple of times, trying to understand it from different angles and i just cant see any insult towards any member on this forum.

Tarogasini
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1351

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on January 5th 2009, 7:47 pm

Voted yes, not a bad idea.

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on January 5th 2009, 10:37 pm

@Skittles wrote:If you or anyone else has any further questions in regards to why you cannot have children under the age of 13 on your forum, then please start a new topic in the Options section of the Support forum.
Don''t you mean the "Other Problems" forum - not the "Options" section?

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles on January 6th 2009, 12:42 am

Allianite wrote:
@Skittles wrote:If you or anyone else has any further questions in regards to why you cannot have children under the age of 13 on your forum, then please start a new topic in the Options section of the Support forum.
Don''t you mean the "Other Problems" forum - not the "Options" section?

Yes Scamite aka Daijiro. My point exactly, even people who are older can misspell, make grammar mistakes, or use the wrong word.

Allianite, may I remind you that since this is your new account, and since you have been banned, you are not privy to the 3 strike rule but rather the 1 strike rule.

Skittles
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on January 6th 2009, 12:47 am

hahaha nice nessa (not meant as insult)

and I WANT THIS

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario on January 6th 2009, 12:55 am

I love this too. We all have are moments in life where we cant spell. Even though I use Firefox I would still like one. So that I can use it on IE7 when I'm not at home.

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

http://test.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles on January 6th 2009, 1:02 am

Mario and Cherry....I had "heard" awhile back that there is an option somewhere to turn on a spellchecker on IE as well but I am not sure how or if it was accurate info. I can't remember who told me either, or where I heard that so I can't ask. I don't ever use IE, so I can't really say. But since you guys use it, at least Mario does when he is not home, have you guys seen anything like this?

But I agree I think it would be nice to have it right here, this way it wouldn't matter if the person has spell check enabled on their browser or not.

Skittles
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario on January 6th 2009, 1:09 am

Thanks for that I will ask placehold about this.

But Ive seen this but there was something I didn't like about it. You had to install a spell check on your forum so that it can work. Kind of though it was odd.

But thie feature will help people that cant spell right or just need it.

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles on January 6th 2009, 1:15 am

Especially when you have members from all around the world, where english is not their native language. I even have spell check in Swedish for me, when I am trying to write in swedish, since I am learning that language.

So this can be helpful for those who struggle with english.

Skittles
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario on January 6th 2009, 1:19 am

Right on. I'm so on the page. I would love to speak french. Its so cool to hear it.

Hope it does. At Least have an option to install it on your forum from a a host that forumotion trust.

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on January 6th 2009, 1:33 am

Hasn't this been suggest somewhere??

I'm voting yes to this, as firefox doesnt know how to spell everything, i mean the word "firefox" isnt spelt right! (maybe "Fire Fox" is correct?)

This is something we deffently (that word isnt in firefox) need!

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on January 6th 2009, 5:10 am

@Tarogasini wrote:Off : it is beyond me where Skittles saw insults in Daijiro`s post. I read it a couple of times, trying to understand it from different angles and i just cant see any insult towards any member on this forum.
I completely agree. That's what I've being trying to say to her, but she insists it was an insult.

And I say, just get a spellchecker either on IE or FireFox.

Back to top Go down

Post by LawDVHS13 on January 6th 2009, 6:32 am

Allianite wrote:
@Tarogasini wrote:Off : it is beyond me where Skittles saw insults in Daijiro`s post. I read it a couple of times, trying to understand it from different angles and i just cant see any insult towards any member on this forum.
I completely agree. That's what I've being trying to say to her, but she insists it was an insult.

I will also agreed. Doesn't seem offensive to me. xD

Umm... voted no. My Firefox and other web browser already have spell check.
So I don't really need one. Sometime it also get annoying when you spell
something and the red underline the word even though is right. Probably cause
is a name, compound, or a different foreign language.

LawDVHS13
Forumember

Male Posts : 395

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonio26 on January 6th 2009, 4:50 pm

Allianite wrote:

Because you are insulting people who may have issuses they can not help. I find it hard to believe you guys can see this. Also, Scamite Yuo insult me or someone else every time I make a spelling error. if I spelled english wrong or said aloud when i meant allowed. You tell me "Do you speak english?" It is irritating...

I voted no. Sorry, I have a spell checker on firefox.

Off topic: Cherry do you get used to it?

EDIT: I take that back. I will vote yes. People who use other browsers are not as fortunate to have a spell checker

Last edited by Antonio26 on January 6th 2009, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Antonio26
Forumember

Male Posts : 64

http://mediamania.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on January 6th 2009, 5:03 pm

Wow has this topic go off the path. Do you all realize that debating a mods decision in public and not in PM is a violation of the rules? Lets get back on topic.

I am starting to warm up to this idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by 13gentj on January 6th 2009, 9:35 pm

Voted yes. I also think that we should have a spell checker on the forums.

13gentj
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on January 6th 2009, 11:45 pm

@Antonio26 wrote:
Allianite wrote:

Because you are insulting people who may have issuses they can not help. I find it hard to believe you guys can see this. Also, Scamite Yuo insult me or someone else every time I make a spelling error. if I spelled english wrong or said aloud when i meant allowed. You tell me "Do you speak english?" It is irritating...
Scamite no longer exists. His name was changed. Scamite is not his real life name nor is it his screen name. There is no "Scamite" here, so please stop referring to him like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles on January 7th 2009, 7:29 pm

Enough with this! This thread is NOT about moderation debate, OR about who was moderated. The next one who debates or argues about this moderation decision will find themselves with a serious warning.

Allianite, I don't know why you keep referring to yourself as the third person, when talking about your other username's (scamite and daijiro), saying "his" instead of "me/my" and I don't really care, but if you continue spamming up the thread and arguing as well, it will be yet another ban for you.

Now back on topic!!

Skittles
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom on January 7th 2009, 9:15 pm

@Skittles wrote:Mario and Cherry....I had "heard" awhile back that there is an option somewhere to turn on a spellchecker on IE as well but I am not sure how or if it was accurate info. I can't remember who told me either, or where I heard that so I can't ask. I don't ever use IE, so I can't really say. But since you guys use it, at least Mario does when he is not home, have you guys seen anything like this?

But I agree I think it would be nice to have it right here, this way it wouldn't matter if the person has spell check enabled on their browser or not.

Ok just been checking this and i cant see it on the browser but i found this

http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/Time_Savers/ieSpell/[/mention] wrote:IESpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell-checks text-input boxes on a Web page. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of Web-based text entry (Web mail, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your Web application already includes spell-checking functionality, this utility is faster than a server-side solution. Plus, you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications instead of having to maintain separate ones on each application. Version 2.5.1 build 106 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
I found that here http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/Time_Savers/ieSpell/

Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Back to top Go down

so did anyone get anywhere with this

Post by tashuka on January 7th 2009, 10:30 pm

i vote yes for a spell checker function, built into the forum, i'm dyslexic and constantly mis-spelling,i use firefox, so i dont have this problem but i am searching for this for our forum uses, as it would be much appreciate, so they can spell check in their posts and reply's.

so being very confused on this, and trying to run a successful forum, did this get anywhere or not, or as an admin, could i create this for my members to use?

tashuka

Female Posts : 1
Language : english

http://www.lotusdriversclubonline.org/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles on January 8th 2009, 12:20 am

Thanks Cherry for the info and for researching it. Much appreciated!

@tashuka wrote:so being very confused on this, and trying to run a successful forum, did this get anywhere or not, or as an admin, could i create this for my members to use?

It takes a good long time before a suggestion may be approved, and then even longer for it to be implemented once it is approved. All depending upon the techs decisions, work load, etc. So it can be a long process but at least this is a start.

Skittles
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Blossom on January 8th 2009, 2:30 pm

@Skittles wrote:Thanks Cherry for the info and for researching it. Much appreciated!

No problem hun happy to help Very Happy

Cherry Blossom
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on February 16th 2009, 3:24 pm

Sounds good. I have some poor spelling members.

Back to top Go down

Post by ImProviser on February 16th 2009, 3:32 pm

lol voted yes, but WANTED to vote no -_-'

anyways... if it would be ONLY for english then its ok... if you want to spell check OTHER language i suggest not to :/ since basic translation on Serbian sucks.... too many topics explained why....

If its only English OK, if not NO TNX !

ImProviser
Forumember

Male Posts : 617
Language : Serbian, English, Deutsch

http://www.team-xenon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Whoisit on February 16th 2009, 5:04 pm

On one of my forums I use spelling cow it works a treat.

Graham

Whoisit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontifex on May 10th 2009, 6:45 pm

I voted for yes!!!

This would be a great option and would spare a lot of misspellings on the boards!

I hope this solution will be approved one day.

Pontifex
Forumember

Female Posts : 63
Language : Slovene, English, German

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum