The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fake email addresses

5 posters

Go down

Fake email addresses Empty Fake email addresses

Post by efbe January 27th 2009, 10:17 am

Not sure where to put this but i recently banned 2 members, presumably the same person, who registers using a disposable email address.. ending in @spamcorptastic.com
He spammed my forum a little so i banned him of course but when i went to ban the ip address it comes up as a non legitimate ip so you can't ban that.
So my advice is not to activate an account with an email address ending with @spamcorptastic.com
Sorry if this is in the wrong section or has been mentioned before. Confused
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Male Posts : 455
Language : english

http://www.chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Fake email addresses Empty Re: Fake email addresses

Post by ~Chris January 27th 2009, 11:24 am

That's actually an interesting problem. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think, that there are ways to hide your IP address, make it anonymous. This person might have done that.

But if you come across people like that, they could well have intentions of causing trouble, so if I couldn't view somebodys IP address, i'd probably boot them right away.
~Chris
~Chris
Forumember

Male Posts : 722
Language : English, some italian.

Back to top Go down

Post by thealbertross January 27th 2009, 9:41 pm

yes, there are proxys where you can hide your ip address but they are very unsafe and you open yourself up to hacking
thealbertross
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Nelsaidi January 27th 2009, 9:50 pm

Proxies ARE safe.

By using a proxy, it means all your stuff goes through that server, hence thats IP thats used. For example imagine my ip is 123.123.123.123 , and i use a proxy with the IP 255.255.255.255, as my connection is going through there, and the proxy requests the page, and sends it to me, i am using the proxy servers internet connection.

I dont know what proxies you use, but a proxy is safe, and does not open you to attack. (unless your pc is insecure, in which case either way your already open)

There are web proxies (work through a browser) and a normal proxy (your itnernet connection).
Nelsaidi
Forumember

Male Posts : 508
Language : English

http://forum.erepublik.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini January 27th 2009, 10:04 pm

~Chris wrote:But if you come across people like that, they could well have intentions of causing trouble, so if I couldn't view somebodys IP address, i'd probably boot them right away.
Then you would make unjustice to many people.

Proxies are safe, but they are trackable.
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1351

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe January 27th 2009, 10:40 pm

What i have been reading is @spamscrptastic is a free 10 minute email service. If you have your activation settings set to user , any one can get on your forum.. i have noticed other forums with other forum providers are having the same problem.. this is i big issue now, how many more of these free 10 minute email servers are out there and how would some of us know if they are legitimate or not? To me if some one can't use a legitimate email address to register, then i class them as untrustworthy.
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini January 27th 2009, 10:44 pm

efbe wrote: To me if some one can't use a legitimate email address to register, then i class them as untrustworthy.
What do you class as untrustworthy ?
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe January 27th 2009, 10:55 pm

Tarogasini wrote:
efbe wrote: To me if some one can't use a legitimate email address to register, then i class them as untrustworthy.
What do you class as untrustworthy ?

Someone who uses a fake email address to gain entry to a forum, especially when they use one of these 10 minute email services .. but that's just my personal opinion. Very Happy
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Nelsaidi January 27th 2009, 10:59 pm

And you cant hide your IP.
Nelsaidi
Forumember

Male Posts : 508

http://forum.erepublik.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe January 28th 2009, 12:25 am

Nelsaidi wrote:And you cant hide your IP.

The 2 fake email user that i banned from my forum also had ip addresses that were fake. I checked them out and the first one says it came from the Netherlands and the second was from Africa.. So obviously he used a hide my ip. So i placed a ban on those but doe's that stop them? It didn't after the first ban because he came back. Mad
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarogasini January 28th 2009, 12:54 am

efbe wrote:Someone who uses a fake email address to gain entry to a forum, especially when they use one of these 10 minute email services .. but that's just my personal opinion. Very Happy
Well some people classify gmail and hotmail as "fake" providers, because you can open unlimited free accounts and use them for whatever you like. Thats why i asked.

Nelsaidi wrote:And you cant hide your IP.
Well technically you are correct... You can CHANGE your IP.

efbe wrote: So i placed a ban on those but doe's that stop them? It didn't after the first ban because he came back.
Of course it didnt stop them. If they are using proxy servers, they can change their IP to whatever country they want and its even easier with programs, like Tor. All you gotta do is click Flush and you already have a new IP.
Tarogasini
Tarogasini
Active Poster

Back to top Go down