The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Allow forum Administrator to export the member list (with all details) to Excel?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Allow forum Administrator to export the member list (with all details) to Excel?

79% 79% 
[ 33 ]
7% 7% 
[ 3 ]
14% 14% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 42

Post by adg on March 28th 2009, 4:54 am

Allow forum Administrator to export the member list (with all details) to Excel.
I mean the information that you see in the profiles (including the fields of personalized fields) not some top secret info that forumation keep in the DB...

I think that a forum admin should be able to handle the info of his own members easily and export that info to external excel file is the easiest option and require minimum development.

Last edited by adg on March 29th 2009, 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

adg
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Allow forum Administrator to export the member list (with all details) to Excel?

Post by Darren1 on March 28th 2009, 4:58 am

NO.

Were not allowed to access the database, why would we be able to do this?

Im sorry, but its a no from me.

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Re: Allow forum Administrator to export the member list (with all details) to Excel?

Post by adg on March 28th 2009, 5:14 am

Because you may want to have access to the information of your own forum members....

I think that a forum admin should be able to handle the database of his own members easily and export that info is the easiest minimum development option.

adg
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by RoxyChick on March 28th 2009, 3:58 pm

I think it could be a good idea. I mean it would only need to have details that we can see anyway (username, email address, reg date)

Would be a great way of handling users etc.

RoxyChick
Forumember

Female Posts : 59
Language : Cockney Rhyming Slang

Back to top Go down

Post by Rin on March 29th 2009, 3:35 am

there's some good stuff, and some bad. i can't decide.

Rin
Forumember

Male Posts : 68
Language : english

http://the-senate.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by vvw on March 29th 2009, 2:18 pm

I think this is a brilliant plan. At the very least, if anything went wrong (like the site disappearing and backups failing), the Admins could then contact members to let them know what's going on and when a new site is up and running.

Vote yes from me!

vvw
Forumember

Female Posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by adg on March 29th 2009, 2:55 pm

You just gave me an Idea of another feature. Thanks Smile

adg
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on March 29th 2009, 6:42 pm

I agree with Darren, we're not allowed to access the database, which asks why would we be allowed to do this...

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario on March 29th 2009, 7:43 pm

We cant even have access to the database so why would they give us this access. If Forumotion gives us the access to the database then sure why not.

But till then no.

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

http://test.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adg on March 29th 2009, 7:46 pm

Once again - I meant the information that you see in the profiles (including the fields of personalized fields) not some top secret info that they keep in the DB...

adg
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by vvw on March 30th 2009, 6:57 am

I'm not sure why some people think this is so bad.... in my mind all that would be needed in an export would be the username and an email address. In fact I would be pretty happy just to have a list of email addresses. Others may have other needs in such a list... but the email addys are already available to us admins, so I can't see what the problem is... vote yes! Smile

vvw
Forumember

Female Posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on March 30th 2009, 12:05 pm

Voted yes! Would be useful we we need to graph out some data etc.

Doctor Inferno
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1331
Language : GeekPolice

http://www.GeekPolice.net

Back to top Go down

Post by joelj1964 on November 2nd 2010, 8:59 pm

I vote yes. As already noted, the information which exporting would posses, would not contain anything not already available to the forum administrator. Forumotion does not furnish the members of a forum. It takes long hours, hard work and dedication to build a substantial member list. These members belong to me and my forum. Not forumotion.

joelj1964
Forumember

Male Posts : 47

http://www.repairbotsonline.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fredhoggin on June 1st 2011, 5:40 pm

Voted Yes. I would like to export all my members user names and email addresses. The Reason? because the newsletter we have on Forumotion is now useless, as all mail to members with Hotmail & Live has been blocked if it comes direct from the forum. Yes I know "tell them to accept mail from Forumotion" but in my opinion it should work.

This is a great idea. thumleft

fredhoggin

Male Posts : 24
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by prussianking on June 4th 2011, 2:12 am

I agree with this suggestion. As long the information within the exported list is purely stuff wI can see no issue with it.

prussianking

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by BA_admin on June 5th 2011, 8:38 pm

@fredhoggin wrote:Voted Yes. I would like to export all my members user names and email addresses. The Reason? because the newsletter we have on Forumotion is now useless, as all mail to members with Hotmail & Live has been blocked if it comes direct from the forum. Yes I know "tell them to accept mail from Forumotion" but in my opinion it should work.

This is a great idea. thumleft

I agree. Also when I send a newsletter via Forumotion, it comes out really distorted even if I carefully checked the codes and even if it looked really perfect in the preview. It would really help to be able to export email addresses. Either that or fix the newsletter in the admin panel.

BA_admin
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on June 5th 2011, 10:46 pm

i disagree

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem on June 6th 2011, 10:21 am

No way! affraid

What's to protect the users' e-mails if they're free to access that easily?

No No No and again NO!

Plus, I've sent fancy newsletters myself before. It is possible to send them correctly, so if it's not working, just keep trying Wink

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ElMuggs on June 17th 2011, 5:06 pm

Dare I point out that one of the assumptions upon becoming a board admin is that you are automatically entrusted with the users details and to keep them safe?

I could certainly see a use of being able to download a zipped copy of the member list for backup in the event of forumotion going offline suddenly.
or belly up. From there it becomes the responsibility of the Admins themselves to ensure the data is used properly and kept secure.

It's also important for spam management to be able to keep track of email accounts that may have caused issues in the past so that in the event of creating a new forum you can pre-block any offending ones from day 1, or for forums that 'trim' their member list so that former members can have a backup if they're accounts deleted.

ElMuggs
Forumember

Language : CSS / HTML / BBcode / Javascript / Graphics and Tech Support yeech..

http://wizardswb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irian on June 18th 2011, 12:25 pm

maybe Smile

Irian
Forumember

Male Posts : 661
Language : English, Français, Spagnol, Latin, ecc.

http://www.puregroups.co.cc

Back to top Go down

Post by CPInsider on July 22nd 2011, 7:05 pm

Thats a yes from me. Also to the people about the email and dob they had the option not to give it you when the they registered by not registering.

CPInsider
Forumember

Male Posts : 190

http://allaroundinsiders.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BBUK01 on July 26th 2011, 6:38 pm

No body is asking for access to THE Database, what we forum admins would like is a way of saving our forum members details for use in excel so we can keep our records up to date, the information is not available to ordinary forum members but it is available to all Admins and what ever other information you are required to fill in at registration, so if we can already print this information out, why can it not be made easier and be able to be saved in a format that can be used in Excel. Simple realy! bwi

BBUK01

Male Posts : 14

http://derehammcc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs on August 15th 2011, 4:58 pm

I say YES - but only available to the founder admin.

We have that info anyway, just saves us the trouble of going through each user a/c and copying and pasting the address in excel.

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 361

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on April 14th 2014, 5:31 am

Member should be allowed to keep their information private in case they want their account to be deleted.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum