The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

What version do you use?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What version do you use?

10% 10% 
[ 57 ]
42% 42% 
[ 248 ]
34% 34% 
[ 201 ]
14% 14% 
[ 83 ]
 
Total Votes : 589

What version do you use?

Post by Eman and Kou on October 12th 2009, 10:32 pm

What version do you use?

Why did you use it?

What is your favorite version?

Why is it your favorite version?

What version would you recommend to a beginning user and why?

----------------------------------------

The version i use the most personally is phpbb2.

Reason being its relatively simple for my users to navigate on. They don't have to search all over for most things and its pretty easy to customize. I like discovering new things to tinker with in it as well such as the templates feature.

My overall favorite version is probably going to be invision.

Reason being? It's really cool looking. The futuristic feel it gives makes it an awesome choice for more advanced forum makers. Also with its fully customizable CSS sheet its a designers paradise. The only thing i'm pretty much saddened about is the lack of template editing though i hope in the future it'll be allowed.

I'd probably recommend either phpbb2, or punbb. Both are pretty simple and easy to design and there are perhaps hundreds of tutorials and screenshots that the person could use to better design their site. Plus it allows them to grow into the development phase by giving them plenty of tools that they could use to design their forum.

Eman and Kou
Forumember

Male Posts : 367
Reputation : 6
Language : English, Spanish, Japanese, Female, HTML, CSS (working on it), GFX (Working on it)
Location : Somewhere where santa cant find me

http://ninja-generation.rpg-dynasty.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Blofeld on October 12th 2009, 11:14 pm

Invision It is my favorite because it is more modern , looks better and it rules.

Blofeld
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1088
Reputation : 18
Language : ............

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by singerealm on October 13th 2009, 12:58 am

Invision is better because it looks more cooler than others.

singerealm
Forumember

Male Posts : 172
Reputation : 0
Language : English, learning polish

http://lasertagforum.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by LH Justin on October 13th 2009, 1:05 am

I use punBB because it is the most customizable version available from Forumotion.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686
Reputation : 121
Language : English, HTML, CSS, JavaScript
Location : United States

http://www.creative-nation.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Guest on October 13th 2009, 5:03 am

phpBB2 was written in the last millennium and has all sorts of security problems. PunBB is flat-out buggy -- there's a reason no one uses it outside of forumotion.

I use phpBB3 and IPB2/Invision exclusively here on forumotion. They are FAR more stable and secure than phpBB2 and PunBB, with much richer feature sets. They require less customizing because they are better boards out-of-the-box.

And anyone who says phpBB3 and IPB2 are less customizable than phpBB2 or PunBB here on forumotion doesn't know what they're talking about. There is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING, that can't be done on these boards that people using templates are doing on phpBB2 and PunBB boards.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Tarogasini on October 13th 2009, 8:02 pm

IPB, lol Razz

I am no longer on forumotion.

Tarogasini
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1351
Reputation : 9
Language : English
Location : Simplicity is my style.

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Tizo The Hedgehog on October 13th 2009, 9:43 pm

PHB3 because I think it allows for more customizing option (except for template editing which is a real bummer) and I also think that it is one of the best board versions Forumotion offers.

Tizo The Hedgehog
Forumember

Male Posts : 107
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://sonicfamily.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by LH Justin on October 14th 2009, 3:41 am

@Dion wrote:phpBB2 was written in the last millennium and has all sorts of security problems. PunBB is flat-out buggy -- there's a reason no one uses it outside of forumotion.

I use phpBB3 and IPB2/Invision exclusively here on forumotion. They are FAR more stable and secure than phpBB2 and PunBB, with much richer feature sets. They require less customizing because they are better boards out-of-the-box.

And anyone who says phpBB3 and IPB2 are less customizable than phpBB2 or PunBB here on forumotion doesn't know what they're talking about. There is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING, that can't be done on these boards that people using templates are doing on phpBB2 and PunBB boards.
You are sadly mistaken my friend.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686
Reputation : 121
Language : English, HTML, CSS, JavaScript
Location : United States

http://www.creative-nation.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by dotDavid on October 14th 2009, 4:05 am

phpBB2 and punBB are really behind the times. I would like to see them be phased out and a new phpBB be introduced. I use phpBB3 as it may seems more modern (with the exception of Invision). Invision looks good until you minimize the screen and everything goes out of place.

dotDavid
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2404
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Guest on October 14th 2009, 4:41 am

@LH Justin wrote:You are sadly mistaken my friend.
OK...you keep believing that.

In the meantime, head over to Sourceforge and look at the bug reports for PunBB. Then go to phpbb.com and read why phpBB2 boards are the targets of choice for hackers.

And click on the weblink in my post profile.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Guest on October 14th 2009, 4:51 am

@dotDavid wrote:Invision looks good until you minimize the screen and everything goes out of place.
That's a problem with any fixed-width skin -- and it's caused by poor/lazy design. It takes some skill to write CSS that works with any screen width...

What I'm saying is, this problem isn't specific to IPB2 -- you'll find it on any Hitskin skin designed for a fixed width.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Aggie on October 14th 2009, 9:08 am

What version do you use?
Invision

Why did you use it?
Because it's beautiful to use it. I use a skin from Jalokim and I like my forum how it is now.

What is your favorite version?
Invision, but I like phpbb 3 too. I don't understand why people use phpbb 2 it's to old and it's not interesting to see and to use it.

Why is it your favorite version?
Because it's a really nice to use. I like modern stuff and not old stuff.

What version would you recommend to a beginning user and why?
phpbb 3, because there is no diffrent in the admin panel. Also you can get more members, because it looks better.
The subject of your forum is not always the part for a user to register or not. If there are 5 forums about animals and there is 1 person who take care about the skin (it looks nice and more of that positive things), then I would choose for that forum and not a forum that use phpbb 2 with maby a subsilver skin ( I don't like every other skins either).

Aggie
Forumember

Female Posts : 185
Reputation : 0
Language : Dutch

http://www.aquariumwereld.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Decent Boy on October 14th 2009, 9:45 am

Phpbb3 Its Better

Decent Boy
Forumember

Male Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Language : Urdu & English
Location : Pakistan Karachi

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by shamzblueworld on October 14th 2009, 10:16 am

i am using phpbb2 and will keep using it.
the reason for that is because personal css and coding.

i can't talk about favourites yet.

and i will recommend phpbb2 to newbies because of its easy features.

shamzblueworld
Forumember

Male Posts : 568
Reputation : 0
Language : English,urdu,hindi,arabic, basic html, css... will learn xml,javascript and jscript
Location : Pakistan

http://www.funstopforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Veljko on October 14th 2009, 1:12 pm

Punbb rules, If you know template editing. xD

Veljko
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1270
Reputation : 19
Language : Serbian, English, CSS, HTML, a bit of latin and german...
Location : Starlight road

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Walshy95 on October 14th 2009, 3:20 pm

Phpbb2 Smile

Walshy95
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1308
Reputation : 6
Language : English
Location : UK, Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by InfamouZ on October 14th 2009, 5:31 pm

IPB, cause forumotions ToS is fucked.

InfamouZ if you say F Forumotion why are you still here? Do I need to help you to a door?

@MrMario, there's no door on a forum. I think you need to go back to school. Banning me won't get rid of me. Make yourself feel important. You just a GM, nothing more. You spend your time on the computer haha, get a job, and maybe a life?

I bet $100 you will overwrite this post. Afraid of the truth?

Bye (:

I'll be back.

InfamouZ
Forumember

Posts : 94
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by MrMario on October 14th 2009, 5:44 pm

Oh really dude? I know there is no door to the forums and I do have a life and a job. So being a jerk to Forumotion and me

=> Banned

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Reputation : 1830
Language : test

http://test.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by imbakz0rs on October 14th 2009, 7:35 pm

Lol, he didn't overwrite! Very nice improvement! Would you like a cookie or a parade?

imbakz0rs
New Member

Posts : 1
Reputation : 0
Language : Englsih

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by stevenF50 on October 14th 2009, 7:45 pm

Everyone gets baned on this forum

Anyway I use Punbb because I get a background! not a colour I do edit the templates though to try and make the forum better

stevenF50
Forumember

Male Posts : 280
Reputation : 1
Language : English

http://dragcavefans.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by karkooshy on October 14th 2009, 8:24 pm

I must say Jalokim inspired so many ppl into using Punbb (includig myself lol! ) so I'm going with that... Mr. Green

karkooshy
Forumember

Male Posts : 327
Reputation : 7
Language : English

http://quable.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Mio-chan on October 14th 2009, 10:09 pm

What version do you use?

I use PhpBB2 hosted by Forumotion Very Happy

Why did you use it?

I use it because its 100% customizable and it comes with Template Editing

What is your favorite version?

My fav version is Invision, because its like the most modern in my opinion.

What version would you recommend to a beginning user and why?

I would recommend PunBB since its very easy to use.

Mio-chan
Forumember

Male Posts : 284
Reputation : 16
Language : English, Portuguese | CSS3, HTML and learning C++
Location : Rhode Island, United States of America

http://www.theolympiansclan.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by WickedSoul on October 15th 2009, 12:38 am

What version do you use? Phpbb2

Why did you use it? I like the look and set up of it.

WickedSoul
Forumember

Female Posts : 163
Reputation : 11
Language : English
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Zenocide on October 15th 2009, 2:08 am

Invision.

Zenocide
New Member

Male Posts : 23
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Luga on October 16th 2009, 1:29 am

Invision,but I'm useing Phpbb2

Luga
Forumember

Posts : 66
Reputation : 0
Language : Java!

http://techspecs.bestforumpro.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by LH Justin on October 16th 2009, 3:22 am

@dotDavid wrote:phpBB2 and punBB are really behind the times. I would like to see them be phased out and a new phpBB be introduced. I use phpBB3 as it may seems more modern (with the exception of Invision). Invision looks good until you minimize the screen and everything goes out of place.
punBB is not behind the times, you can do amazing things with it, it's just that most people lack the skill to do anything with it. phpBB2 is however outdated, I would like to see it phased out, but a new phpBB version cannot be introduced until the company releases one, even then it might be two to three years before it is installed on Forumotion.
@Dion wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:You are sadly mistaken my friend.
OK...you keep believing that.

In the meantime, head over to Sourceforge and look at the bug reports for PunBB. Then go to phpbb.com and read why phpBB2 boards are the targets of choice for hackers.

And click on the weblink in my post profile.
I've never experienced any major bugs with punBB, and all forum versions have bugs. I will agree with you that phpBB2 is broken, in fact, I'm not sure why it's still an option. As for the link in your profile, what about it? It's just an HTML page...

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686
Reputation : 121
Language : English, HTML, CSS, JavaScript
Location : United States

http://www.creative-nation.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Dark Takua on October 16th 2009, 3:50 am

What version do you use?: phpBB3, 2

What is your favorite version?: phpBB3

Dark Takua
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1012
Reputation : 23
Language : English, HTML[Know the basics!]
Location : STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS BY PM, THERE ARE FORUM SECTIONS YOU KNOW !!! >:

http://gzpower.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Guest on October 16th 2009, 4:05 am

@LH Justin wrote:
@Dion wrote:
And click on the weblink in my post profile.
As for the link in your profile, what about it? It's just an HTML page...
No...it's the homepage of an Invision board here on forumotion.

I know how to think outside the box. king

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by Eman and Kou on October 16th 2009, 4:31 am

Dion you gotta show me how to do things like that one day. Your forum is awesome man.

Eman and Kou
Forumember

Male Posts : 367
Reputation : 6
Language : English, Spanish, Japanese, Female, HTML, CSS (working on it), GFX (Working on it)
Location : Somewhere where santa cant find me

http://ninja-generation.rpg-dynasty.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: What version do you use?

Post by LH Justin on October 16th 2009, 5:18 am

@Dion wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@Dion wrote:
And click on the weblink in my post profile.
As for the link in your profile, what about it? It's just an HTML page...
No...it's the homepage of an Invision board here on forumotion.

I know how to think outside the box. king
Okay, so you used a complicated CSS, you're point?

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686
Reputation : 121
Language : English, HTML, CSS, JavaScript
Location : United States

http://www.creative-nation.net

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum