The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Good idea?

89% 89% 
[ 415 ]
11% 11% 
[ 50 ]
 
Total Votes : 465

No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Waddle50008 on July 16th 2007, 4:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

I suggest their Be a button in options that you can choose that will disable the post count for users so that when a users posts something, their "Posts:" will not rise.

Title edited by Skittles ~ to add title of merged topic

Waddle50008
Forumember

Male Posts : 75
Reputation : 1
Language : English

http://waddleworldltd.fullboards.com

Back to top Go down


Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Tymon on January 18th 2008, 7:02 pm

@Vito wrote:First, I want to clarify that the subject line of this message precisely states the matter on which I voted "Yes" for this suggestion. I want the option to be able to hide or disable post counts. If it's possible to apply that option selectively for individual forums or users, that's fine with me, but frankly I'd be satisfied if it were just an option that I could turn off for my entire forum.

I cannot understand how anyone could possibly object to this suggestion as an option. There is nothing in the original suggestion requesting that the post counting feature be completely disabled for all users of all forums. That would be silly—I mean, obviously there are many reasons to keep track of the number of posts, and no one has suggested that the post count feature be killed entirely.

As I understand it, the original suggestion requests the ability to selectively turn off post counts. If that suggestion can be implemented—and the posts in this thread already have provided excellent reasons why it should be implemented—then there should be unanimous agreement. If you don't want to turn off post counts on your forum, then simply don't use that option. If you have the option of keeping post counts active on your own forum, this suggestion takes nothing away from you.

I suspect that all the people who have voted "No" simply do not understand that this suggestion cannot be a disadvantage to them in any way whatsoever. I can think of no rational reason why anyone would object to this suggestion.

As far as the subject of driving away users is concerned, that is an excellent observation. In fact, that's precisely why I want the option of turning off post counts. I do not want my forum to attract the kind of users who would be upset about their post counts not showing. I want forum members whose principal interest is in the substance of what they contribute to the community, not members whose principal interest is in showing how many times they can hit the "Send" button.

joker

I agree Wink

Tymon
Forumember

Posts : 114
Reputation : 1
Language : Maltese/English

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Deathania on January 19th 2008, 12:57 pm

I voted Yes.
I just thought how to express myself when i found that. In my forum, post count too. You can get ranks with these. But its annoying that you can´t see real posts. You can only see real post plus posts in games. So i think that it would be best to put on some topics, and not for others.
I totally agree

Deathania
New Member

Female Posts : 8
Reputation : 0
Language : Estonian
Location : Estonia

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by nimiel on May 23rd 2008, 12:41 pm

@Julebrus wrote:I was thinking of making this suggestion myself Smile

Im sick of people SPAMing for better rankings.

Like this you mean rigt?:

Help forum. Here the postcount will grow as you post Smile

Off-Topic. Here if you post in this forum, the post count will not change Smile

I LOVE the Suggestion Wink YES, FTW Razz

nice suggestion. many members are really abusing the fun corner.. alien

nimiel
Forumember

Male Posts : 519
Reputation : 0
Language : english
Location : PH

http://www.funstuff.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Caz on June 22nd 2008, 1:45 pm

@Waddle50008 wrote:Yes, but my users can gain cerain ranks with certain amount of posts, and they are gaining those ranks from post in a "Posting Games" section, and i want that to be their for fun, but for no further benefit of the users

That is exactly why i would like this option too. I voted yes

Caz
Forumember

Posts : 30
Reputation : 0
Language : english

http://www.femmemetalforum.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Doctor Inferno on June 22nd 2008, 2:24 pm

voted yes, but for certain forums only.

Doctor Inferno
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1331
Reputation : 30
Language : GeekPolice
Location : Singapore

http://www.GeekPolice.net

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Broly Ss10 on June 23rd 2008, 8:42 am

Nice suggestion, Waddle. I think I know you from somewhere.

Broly Ss10
Forumember

Male Posts : 349
Reputation : 13
Language : English/Spanish
Location : Melbourne

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Guest on June 23rd 2008, 1:28 pm

great Idea

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by lightning yoshi on August 9th 2008, 5:51 pm

i was thinking the same thing, we have a spam forum, and thats where everyone posts.

lightning yoshi
New Member

Male Posts : 17
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by ECarminan15 on August 9th 2008, 6:21 pm

Yes. It can work. Enough said.

ECarminan15
Forumember

Male Posts : 200
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://rolemakers.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by elfie on August 24th 2008, 1:36 am

We have certain things which require a certain post count to be able to unlock them and some forums, such as the gaming forum and great hall rpg forum, require members to post less per post which ups their post count unfairly against those who post elsewhere on the site. We have put written post length restrictions though this often gets ignored.

So yes I am very for this idea

elfie
Forumember

Female Posts : 126
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://hogwarts-experience.heavenforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Brian Fan on August 26th 2008, 7:44 pm

@ilo wrote:Yes that would be good for Introduction thread, dont want people geting ranks just buy saying hi and wellcome to someone. Very Happy

You know, that would make perfect since. Cause the Introduction and Game thread, and maybe like on LiveDaily where they have a ban log, that's not really on topic, so if a mod or administrator for example, bans someone and says why in the ban log, that post shouldn't really even be counted.

Now I have a question of my own. Could I do like they have on LiveDaily and do my own ban log on my site? I mean, everyone who comes on there behaves pretty well, but say I have to ban someone for not following the rules, I don't want half a dozen PMs or e-mails of them asking me why they were banned... so I wonder if I could do something like that? That idea came to me just now.

Brian Fan
Forumember

Female Posts : 71
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : North Dakota, United States

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by The_Great_WZ on August 26th 2008, 8:20 pm

Just Voted !!!

ReGaRdS Very Happy

The_Great_WZ
Forumember

Male Posts : 162
Reputation : 5
Language : Arabic, French, English & Italian
Location : Tunisia

http://paradise-forum.realbb.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by dian on September 2nd 2008, 12:48 pm

I was really looking for this option at Forummotion sadly, this is not yet activated or implemented. This would really help a lot the moderators to monitor the members and that the members will not take advantage of posting unnecessary stuff so that their post counts will increase, to higher their rank.

dian
New Member

Female Posts : 24
Reputation : 0
Language : english, chinese, tagalog, lil french and korean

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Auwris on November 3rd 2008, 7:14 pm

Voted for Yes thumleft

Auwris
New Member

Male Posts : 11
Reputation : 0
Language : Lithuanian/English
Location : Kaunas

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by D41V30N on November 5th 2008, 6:32 am

"Play your favorite forum games here. Posts do not count." - I've seen that description on many forum sites, beneath the forum games forum.

It's a must for the Forum Games Sector and the Newbie Sector. I've only recently opened a site on forumotion but I do know that the Forum Games sector are the hottest sectors in a site so it's a must!

It's hightime someone started it? I voted YES! Lol

D41V30N
New Member

Male Posts : 10
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : N0TH1NGN3SS

http://m4dn3ss.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by fhelix on November 14th 2008, 3:40 pm

yes for me Very Happy Very Happy

fhelix
Forumember

Male Posts : 55
Reputation : 0
Language : english

Back to top Go down

I Must Be Missing Something...

Post by Vito on November 14th 2008, 5:02 pm

I fail to comprehend how there can STILL be people who vote "No" on this proposal. Did they vote without understanding what the OP proposed? Did they not read the posts in this thread? Did they vote "No" by mistake and really intended to vote "Yes"? Or are they just malicious people? I honestly don't get it.

Perhaps I'm missing something. That's certainly a possibility, and I'm genuinely open to instruction on this point. I'll spell it out—again—and if there's some part of this issue that I haven't grasped, perhaps one of the "No" voters will be kind enough to explain the part I'm missing.

    The proposal is to make it OPTIONAL whether you choose to display post counts on your forum. As proposed, the default condition would be that post counts would display on ALL forums, just as they do now. That is...

    • If you want post counts to show on all of your forums, then you wouldn't need to take any action whatsoever. For you, nothing would change. In other words, a "Yes" vote on this proposal would not affect you in any way.
    • If you don't want post counts to display on one or more of your forums, you would need to select that OPTION for those forums.
    In other words, if the votes on this proposal were unanimously "Yes" it wouldn't actually change anything for those who want all post counts to display, for all forums, at all times.
A "No" vote on this proposal makes absolutely no sense at all to me. I invite any of the people who voted NO to explain, right here in this forum, how this proposed OPTION would take anything away from you. If you voted no because you think that disabling post counts would be a bad thing for YOUR forum, be sure to explain how letting others make that choice for themselves—for THEIR forums, not yours—interferes with you in any way.

jocolor


Last edited by Vito on November 15th 2008, 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deleted colored text per moderators' preferences)

Vito
Forumember

Posts : 32
Reputation : 2
Language : English

http://fraternex.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Rok on November 14th 2008, 5:50 pm

I don't think this poll should be passed because users/members need to reach their standard goals/ranks in posting. Also (like what Skor[y said in the second reply of this thread), you wouldn't to be tell if a member/user is active. Also, if you don't want a member gaining a post by just saying "Hey", "Cool!", or ect., then just create some rules (that's what a responsible admin should do). If you don't state any rules, then your forum could be havoc.. Anyways, yeah.

Rok
Energetic

Male Posts : 6823
Reputation : 232
Language : idk

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Vito on November 14th 2008, 9:45 pm

@rokstrsk83rdude wrote:I don't think this poll should be passed because users/members need to reach their standard goals/ranks in posting.
rokstrsk83rdude:

Sorry, amigo, but I don't know what you're talking about. When I started my forum, I didn't sign any contract that said my "users/members need to reach their standard goals/ranks in posting." I don't use ranks or goals, and if I were to use them, I would base them on some criterion besides the frequency with which members can hit the Send button.

If you want to use goals/ranks, go right ahead. If you want to base them on post counts, that's OK with me as well. I'm not telling you how to run YOUR forum. What I don't get is why the people who vote "No" (essentially) want to dictate how I run MY forum. confused

Your statement above suggests that you don't understand the proposal. If you understood it, you would realize that you will still be able to use goals/ranks based on post counts if this poll "passes". That feature would not be removed. Instead, it would be something that those who DON'T want to use it could turn off. If you want to use it, don't turn it off.
@rokstrsk83rdude wrote:Also (like what Skor[y said in the second reply of this thread), you wouldn't to be tell if a member/user is active.
I think you mean "Skorpy"...and did you read the part of the post that says...
@skorpy wrote:...No harm if it is an option though
Well, that's exactly what the proposal specifies—that it should be an option. Get it?? Option!! That means you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Just leave it alone and everything will remain the way it is now.

But as long as you mentioned it, Skorpy's post assumes that post counts are the only way to determine user activity. That's not true. If you want to tell whether a user is active, you don't need post counts to do it. In fact, post counts provide very little information about a user's activity, and they certainly say nothing about the quality of their activity.

The first thing I do to check whether a user is active is go to the Memberlist, where I can immediately see when each member last visited the forum. I can also click on any member's username to view their profile, which immediately tells me when they joined, when they last visited, the number of private messages they've posted, their total number of posts (although I don't actually care how many times they can hit the send button).

But most important of all, I can click on the link that says "Find all posts by (username)", which immediately calls up ALL of that user's posts in a single collection, where I can instantly see what they've posted, and when, and how often. I'm not sure how much more ability you need to be able to tell whether "a member/user is active", or how post counts provide better information.

jocolor


Last edited by Vito on November 13th 2011, 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Deleted bold and colored text per moderators' preferences; fixed typos)

Vito
Forumember

Posts : 32
Reputation : 2
Language : English

http://fraternex.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Demonspike on November 14th 2008, 10:22 pm

@Vito wrote:I fail to comprehend how there can STILL be people who vote "No" on this proposal. Did they vote without understanding what the OP proposed? Did they not read the posts in this thread? Did they vote "No" by mistake and really intended to vote "Yes"? Or are they just malicious people? I honestly don't get it.

Well how about the fact that EVERYONE has their own opinion and does NOT have to agree with stuff just because others do. This may go against what people really want... you never know.
I wonder, did you make this suggestion expecting everyone to just fall into your train of thought and oppinion and agree with whatever you wanted to happen?

Sadly for you, things don't work that way, people don't work that way, LIFE doesn't work that way.

I personally think your idea will only suit certain people who think the same as you, I would NOT want this on my site, and therefore say MAYBE...neither yes or no.

Reason being, this idea may suit you, but may not suit others, as we have seen already, many people don't want this... I think if it's added as a feature, it should be up to the user to decide if they want this or not.

Demonspike
Forumember

Male Posts : 458
Reputation : 10
Language : English
Location : United Kingdom

http://darkrealms.roleplaylife.net

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Vito on November 15th 2008, 12:10 am

@Demonspike wrote:...I wonder, did you make this suggestion expecting everyone to just fall into your train of thought and oppinion and agree with whatever you wanted to happen?...I personally think your idea will only suit certain people who think the same as you, I would NOT want this on my site, and therefore say MAYBE...neither yes or no...I think if it's added as a feature, it should be up to the user to decide if they want this or not.
Demonspike:

Thanks for your reply. I acknowledge that you don't want the proposed option. What you did not explain is how it creates a problem for you. It's an option. If you don't want to disable post counts, don't disable them.

There are two points of clarification in regard to your post:

  • It's not my suggestion. If you read the OP, you will see that the poll was created by Waddle50008.
  • You say it should be up to the user, but it's not clear what you mean by "user". As the admin who started and maintains my forum, I'm the user of forumotion's service. This is a forumotion poll about how that service should be configured for its users—namely, forum admins—not how admins should run their forums, or which options they should choose, or what options they should offer to the members of their forums. I would not presume to tell another admin how to configure his/her forum.
Actually, your post exposes the fact that the problem is in the poll ITSELF. A proposal like this never should have been made as a Yes or No poll, but Waddle50008 didn't have any choice. The forumotion rules for suggestions prohibit anything BUT yes or no polls. There is a "multiple choice" option, but the rules say:
@Tristou wrote:- the multiple choice option must not be activated in the poll, just add two options : "yes" or "no" Wink
I can certainly understand why a Yes or No poll is necessary for features that would affect all users (that is, all admins who use forumotion's service), but when the poll proposes an optional feature, the poll should simply be a referendum on how many admins want it. The poll is not a referendum on whether some admins would choose to disable post counts. It's a referendum on whether all admins should be able to make that choice for themselves.

For the record, I don't care whether anyone agrees with me about post counts. It's none of my business. I'm not depriving anyone of their ability to say "No" to disabling post counts. The "No" option is already built into the fact that the proposed feature is optional. Anyone who doesn't want it automatically gets to say "No" by simply not using the option.

That's where they'll be able to cast the "No" vote that counts the most—the one that applies to THEM. Why vote "No" here? Why not let others make that choice for themselves?

jocolor


Last edited by Vito on November 15th 2008, 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Replaced bold and colored text with underlined text, per moderators' preferences)

Vito
Forumember

Posts : 32
Reputation : 2
Language : English

http://fraternex.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Demonspike on November 15th 2008, 12:23 am

It's so much a Problem for me per say, more of a personal oppinionated possible problem from members of the Forum, I think you have brought up some decent and very valid points about the poll itself.. and your views.

However, when I asked about your suggestion, it was the "I fail to comprehend how there can STILL be people who vote "No"on this proposal"which I was referring to, as it sounded like you said that thinking everyone would see what you saw and would agree, just because you thought they should, whether they reall wanted to or not.

I'm sure this clears that up for you, however.. this itself is a tough call because you are divided in thought, down one side you have YOUR personal views as an Admin of your Forum, along the other hand, you have the views of the Players of the Forum.. so it's hard to decide a proper..Yes or No.

Also, before you get into trouble with a Mod on the Forum, may I suggest you refrain from using colour, they don't like people using it, that's all, however, if you wsh to ignore what I say in good faith, then carry on using the colours.. it's your choice.

~DS~

Demonspike
Forumember

Male Posts : 458
Reputation : 10
Language : English
Location : United Kingdom

http://darkrealms.roleplaylife.net

Back to top Go down

I Think I Get It Now

Post by Vito on November 15th 2008, 1:23 am

Demonspike:

First, thanks for the word of warning about using colored text. As a relatively new user of this forum, I plead guilty to being unaware that the mods don't like it. I'll refrain from using it in the future. I did read the rule specifying that users not abuse colors, capitals and bold text. I didn't think I was abusing them, but in re-reading the rules I now see that it says they're "reserved for moderation, therefore don't use them." My bad. I probably misunderstood it to mean "use them in moderation".

At any rate, here's the good news for all the "No" voters: Anyone who is deeply opposed to disabling post counts can rest easy. I've researched the way the feature already is implemented in phpBB3, and I have confirmed that post counts are indeed enabled by default.

That means the burden of using the option is on those who don't want to use post counts. They will have to actually go into the advanced permissions for each forum and disable the post count feature. All admins who want post counts enabled can simply do nothing.

Really, the only question here is whether forumotion will implement the existing feature in phpBB3. I suspect that many admins won't even know that the feature is there unless they read the update notices. Even so, the only people who will care about it will be those who want to use it. Everyone else will just go about their business. Mr. Green

I really do appreciate your posts. I didn't understand how people could possibly vote "No" on a proposal for a feature that they ultimately would never have to use anyway if they didn't want it. After reading your posts, I think that the most likely reason for all the "No" votes is a deficiency in the way the poll is set up in the first place.

That's really not anyone's fault. I probably wouldn't have done any better than Waddle50008 in setting up the poll. I never would have anticipated that the optional nature of the proposal would be so widely misunderstood.

Cheers,

Vito

jocolor

Vito
Forumember

Posts : 32
Reputation : 2
Language : English

http://fraternex.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Demonspike on November 15th 2008, 1:58 am

I am happy that you feel this way Vito, really am.

I am also pleased that you can see sensibly and see that my posts were NOT meant to offend you or anyone else in any way.. however, let's move on amicably shall we, as it seems to suit yourself also.

The main thing is yes, as you have said, it already exhists, so choosing No, is a more a personal view from Admin who already do not use this.

This topic has gone too far to be honest, and either people didn't know that this feature exhisted, didn't care and still posted, or really didn't know it exhisted, such as yourself and myself.

As for the warning about colour, you are more than welcome, It's not an attempt to moderate you, it was a friendly heads up.
I did the same thing that you did and got jumped on for it.. >,<

Also, by me warning you, it saves a Moderator getting annoyed and jumping on you also for breaking rules.

The main question now is, what's going to happen with this Poll? I think it should be closed to be honest, but it's not up to me, thats just my oppinion.

Demonspike
Forumember

Male Posts : 458
Reputation : 10
Language : English
Location : United Kingdom

http://darkrealms.roleplaylife.net

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Vito on November 15th 2008, 3:20 am

Demonspike:

I think the poll should continue to run. One of the benefits of the kind of back-and-forth exchange that we and others have been through in this thread is that it it helps folks to see what issues have already been raised. They can still decide for themselves which arguments have merit, but I think it saves them the time of having to start from square one.

I would expect the forumotion team to look at both the voting results and the posts to see what kind of arguments have been raised for and against. I'm sure they realize that there's always the potential for people to misunderstand the poll question, and the posts certainly reveal that. Plus, I think the feedback in the posts helps them to determine whether the proposal would truly be a benefit to users.

That's just my opinion, of course. I expect that the forumotion team will use their own criteria to determine how long the poll should run.

Best regards,

Vito

jocolor

Vito
Forumember

Posts : 32
Reputation : 2
Language : English

http://fraternex.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Demonspike on November 15th 2008, 3:27 am

Oooooooooh, arguements is such a hateful word, let's use... debates...or even better, disscussions.

I would hope for the same thing Vito. I have a general rule that if two people are debating, then interlectual debate is ctually agreeablee, to a point, if it becomes flame war style or anything else out of line, then it should be stomped all over.

I also value yours and all other members opinions, and as such, this topic really needs to get back on track or it WILL be locked and we will be smacked with the naughty stick.

So, to that end..it's been a pleasure talking to you.

Demonspike
Forumember

Male Posts : 458
Reputation : 10
Language : English
Location : United Kingdom

http://darkrealms.roleplaylife.net

Back to top Go down

Disabling post count on a particular board?

Post by Angelbeast on November 26th 2008, 6:24 pm

I created a new forum and I've just been informed that the feature to disable post count on one forum is not available yet. I think that this feature would benefit all forums because it helps to reduce spam. What I wanted to do was set up a general board where members can discuss topics unrelated to the forum's main subject. In order to do this, I would prefer to be able to disable post count in that area to reduce the amount of spam posts. I've been a moderator myself on a couple of large forums that had this feature and it worked really well. Is this something that you might consider adding in the future?

Thanks! Very Happy


EDIT: Sorry forgot to add a poll


Last edited by Angelbeast on November 26th 2008, 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Poll added)

Angelbeast
New Member

Posts : 7
Reputation : 3
Language : English

http://www.animedia.fforum.biz/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Doctor Inferno on November 27th 2008, 4:01 am

hell yeah!

Doctor Inferno
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1331
Reputation : 30
Language : GeekPolice
Location : Singapore

http://www.GeekPolice.net

Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by Guest on November 27th 2008, 4:10 am

Mmmm. of course I would like this. All other types of boards have this.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: No post count/Disabling post count on a particular forum

Post by APE on November 27th 2008, 5:26 am

as i said in the other poll i would love to see this added on my site
its a Big YES for me





APE
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 8631
Reputation : 756
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha
Location : STUCK IN FORUMOTIONS SERVERS HELP ME !!!!!!

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum