The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

CAN I SEE THE IP OF A MEMBER NOT ONLINE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CAN I SEE THE IP OF A MEMBER NOT ONLINE

Post by jayjay23 on December 2nd 2009, 12:57 pm

Hi,

Yes, I have a spammer and would like to know what IP address they are using when they sign up?

And if possible can i ban their IP address from making new accounts?

jayjay23
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Re: CAN I SEE THE IP OF A MEMBER NOT ONLINE

Post by Jophy on December 2nd 2009, 1:16 pm

it will be hard to know if the guest registering on your forum is a spammer, if a user keeps changing ip address, then you can't do more than that, but you can ban and ban the user, if you caught them online, you can ban their ip address or if they're not online, go to the member list via admin panel and look for their username, you'll see beside them their ip adress.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 on December 2nd 2009, 3:23 pm

Hey,

when they are not online i cannot see the ip address.

I go.

admin panel > users and groups > search users >

i can see a list of users and on the right is the modify symbol, no ip, if i click modify it has a list of options to modify their user account but not the ip they used to create the account.

jayjay23
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on December 3rd 2009, 3:39 pm

You can find ip address of a user, when he is online or from any of his posts.

To IP ban a user, more info is provided here.
http://help.forumotion.com/frequently-asked-questions-f5/banning-a-member-t10774.htm#56010

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikigaming on March 11th 2011, 10:04 pm

I know this is an old post but instead of making a new thread I did a search and came across this thread. My problem is relevant to this.

I have a "profile spammer" which means they added a spam link as their signature and as their personal website in hopes that the profile will be visible and indexed by search engines. This type of spammer does not actually make any posts as they don't want an admin to catch them spamming and remove their profile. "Profile spammers" have been referred to as secret spammer even though not quite as accurately named as spammers who do post but put their text as white on a white background hoping to deceive admins.

Anyway since this type of spammer does not post, how do I find out the IP? Following the suggestions in this thread and the other thread linked to in this thread I have tried the steps but this is what I see instead:

It is important to me to see not just the name and email but also the IP as when a member spams I submit them to Stop Forum Spam blacklist database and BotScout blacklist database as I am a long time spam fighter.

I know that this type of spam is allowed on SOME forums but I do not wish for my gaming forum to be used for advertising. However since the links are to a gaming site I want to make sure that this person isn't a spammer and the site is trustworthy. I have checked in WOT and McAfee SiteAdvisor and there are no bad marks against the site advertised so not immediate danger or anything, but I still wish to make sure by checking the IP against blacklists. I can only check against 2 out of a possible 13 I regularly check with the email. I do wish to be able to see IP's since I help administrate other phpBB3 forums for others and know that other phpBB3 forums are able to see IP's even of member's who never post. This member has been known to do the same type of spamming on other forums with 2 other spam links (so far gamegab.com, revo-sys.com and inmovision.com.ec and always a different birthdate but same year - 1985-09-14, 1985-05-07, 1985-06-14, 1985-07-08) Why is this option so hard to find in forumotion phpBB3 forums? Or am I just not seeing it? Please click on the image to see a larger version to see what I see and how the IP is missing even though that member is registered.

nikigaming

http://niki.freegametalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt on March 12th 2011, 12:43 am

Thanks for the heads up on profile spammers nikigaming I had caught 1 last weak doing that & didn't know what was going on & just banned them.
After reading your post I went back through my member list & found 1 other profile spammer that I have now banned.
So far I haven't ran across any sneaky ones using white text yet lol.
But I do wish that forumotion would show the members IP when they join it sure would make things easier.

Colt
Forumember

Male Posts : 94
Language : English, Redneck, & Texan

http://thegalaxy.findtalk.biz/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum