The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What a option to show unread posts since joining the forum?

88% 88% 
[ 22 ]
12% 12% 
[ 3 ]
 
Total Votes : 25

An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by michael.h.o on December 21st 2009, 11:14 am

On my forum we get around 100 posts each day. Sadly not all members have the time to read all posts everyday. So when the log on one day and use the option "show posts since last visit" they see the posts. Sadly the member don't have the time to read more that 50 posts at that time. Later that day the same person then logs on, wanting to read the lasts 50 posts. The member then uses option "Show posts since last visit" but the 50 posts the member did not read on last logon is not there.
That is a common problem on my forum so i will suggest a new option:

"Show unread posts (since joining the forum)"

michael.h.o
Forumember

Male Posts : 85
Reputation : 0
Language : Danish
Location : Denmark

http://kingsalliance.danskforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by mostlycichlids on December 23rd 2009, 9:25 pm

I agree been a problem on my forum for almost two years, hoping it will get some attention!

mostlycichlids
Forumember

Posts : 149
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by michael.h.o on December 24th 2009, 1:14 am

@mostlycichlids wrote:I agree been a problem on my forum for almost two years, hoping it will get some attention!

Well right now it's not getting that much attention but we can always hope Smile

michael.h.o
Forumember

Male Posts : 85
Reputation : 0
Language : Danish
Location : Denmark

http://kingsalliance.danskforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by mostlycichlids on December 31st 2009, 1:33 am

Two no votes but with no discussion?

mostlycichlids
Forumember

Posts : 149
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by mk1rceme on January 11th 2010, 3:25 am

I would like to see this option as well. There is a "todays active posts" link but it resets at midnite everyday. Kind of useless, but helps a little.

I just got a request for this option today from one of my members.

mk1rceme
New Member

Posts : 8
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by wrightyrx7 on January 12th 2010, 10:11 am

Yea i got a request for this today. Anyone willing to help us? lol

wrightyrx7
New Member

Male Posts : 20
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Manchester

http://worxclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by matt_m on January 12th 2010, 7:43 pm

I can't think why people would vote no to this. It is just a small link on the forum that says "click here to show unread posts". A VERY useful feature.

Voted YES.

matt_m
Forumember

Posts : 322
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by michael.h.o on January 12th 2010, 8:54 pm

They have votede NO and haven't said why Sad

It is a good thing to get on the forums

michael.h.o
Forumember

Male Posts : 85
Reputation : 0
Language : Danish
Location : Denmark

http://kingsalliance.danskforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by babaganoosh on January 13th 2010, 8:06 pm

Alrighty...if you guys keep wanting a reason for why not...

What if there are topics I don't want to read? I won't click that thread and then everytime I click that same link to use that feature, that topic will stay there forever. After a couple months, everytime I click that link I'll have to go through tens of pages of threads just to find the ones I actually want to read. Not everybody reads every single post on a forum and not having any type of reset feature based on time would just make this a bigger problem with each passing day.

Also, you mention the "no" votes who didn't give a reason, but there's also like 4 or 5 "yes" votes without reason too. If you're going to call out people, do it for everyone or don't do it at all.

babaganoosh
Forumember

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by matt_m on January 14th 2010, 9:46 pm

What if there are topics I don't want to read? I won't click that thread and then everytime I click that same link to use that feature, that topic will stay there forever. After a couple months, everytime I click that link I'll have to go through tens of pages of threads just to find the ones I actually want to read. Not everybody reads every single post on a forum and not having any type of reset feature based on time would just make this a bigger problem with each passing day.

Also, you mention the "no" votes who didn't give a reason, but there's also like 4 or 5 "yes" votes without reason too. If you're going to call out people, do it for everyone or don't do it at all.

Hmmm, nice of you to try and think of a reason for voting no but I still obviously think the advantages of such a feature far outweigh the negatives, as the poll concludes Smile.

Now, there are many work arounds for your proposed problem. There could be a checkbox and delete style system, like there is when viewing PM's, for example. So those that you don't want to read you can remove and thus will no longer remain.

But, more importantly I think you're missing the point. This feature is optional for those that want to use it. If you wish to carry on using the forum as you always have done, then so be it. Nobody is forcing you to click that link Smile. For example currently we have "view posts since last visit" - I don't use this and just scroll down and look through the forum in a traditional manner.

So i've still yet to hear a valid and well thought out reason for somebody to vote no....

An excellent feature suggestion and one that would be benefitial to many members of many forums. I would also think this is technically doable. Very Happy

matt_m
Forumember

Posts : 322
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by babaganoosh on January 15th 2010, 1:41 am

@matt_m wrote:
Hmmm, nice of you to try and think of a reason for voting no but I still obviously think the advantages of such a feature far outweigh the negatives, as the poll concludes Smile.
Obviously additional features have more advantages than disadvantages (unless your suggestion is really THAT bad), so to say that the poll concludes it doesn't mean much. The poll should be used to gain support in numbers or a large percentage of voters and single digit votes with a approval rate of 75% isn't concluding much.

@matt_m wrote:
Now, there are many work arounds for your proposed problem. There could be a checkbox and delete style system, like there is when viewing PM's, for example. So those that you don't want to read you can remove and thus will no longer remain.
And none of these were proposed in the suggestion, so to say that an imaginary (at this point) work around is a valid solution isn't going to help matters. You'd have to put it in the suggestion to implement them all at once or the suggestion still has my flaw because nothing will be corrected if this suggestion is implemented as described.

Also, removing all these threads manually seems like it's more work than just choosing which topics to watch and going into them the next time you log in.

@matt_m wrote:
But, more importantly I think you're missing the point. This feature is optional for those that want to use it. If you wish to carry on using the forum as you always have done, then so be it. Nobody is forcing you to click that link Smile.
Saying something is optional is a rather weak argument. A rough guess of 90-95% (possibly even more) of these suggestions are optional, so does that mean everybody should vote yes anyways? Is this going help the techies prioritize what suggestions are more important and wanted? If you just vote "yes"' for everything optional, then there's no point in anybody voting in those threads at all. You should not only be voting for the perceived usefulness of the feature, but also to demonstrate how high on the priority list it should be. And unfortunately, this isn't a high priority update and blowing sunshine isn't going to help the techies identify what users feel are more useful.

@matt_m wrote:
So i've still yet to hear a valid and well thought out reason for somebody to vote no....
Nice parting shot. Real classy.

babaganoosh
Forumember

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by matt_m on January 17th 2010, 4:09 pm

Thanks. I thought so too. I'm not saying you should have voted yes, I'm saying you shouldn't have voted no, which are two completely different things. Are you really objecting to having an extra link on the forum index? You never know, some of your members might find it useful even if you don't.

matt_m
Forumember

Posts : 322
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by babaganoosh on January 17th 2010, 8:04 pm

@matt_m wrote:I'm not saying you should have voted yes, I'm saying you shouldn't have voted no, which are two completely different things.
See these reasons for why I did vote no. I don't see why I shouldn't vote no when I have reasons to do it.
And none of these were proposed in the suggestion, so to say that an imaginary (at this point) work around is a valid solution isn't going to help matters. You'd have to put it in the suggestion to implement them all at once or the suggestion still has my flaw because nothing will be corrected if this suggestion is implemented as described.

Also, removing all these threads manually seems like it's more work than just choosing which topics to watch and going into them the next time you log in.


@matt_m wrote:Are you really objecting to having an extra link on the forum index?
See the following quote for why I have not voted for an extra link. While the focus is not on the feature being optional, the argument is still the same.
A rough guess of 90-95% (possibly even more) of these suggestions are optional, so does that mean everybody should vote yes anyways? Is this going help the techies prioritize what suggestions are more important and wanted? If you just vote "yes"' for everything optional, then there's no point in anybody voting in those threads at all. You should not only be voting for the perceived usefulness of the feature, but also to demonstrate how high on the priority list it should be. And unfortunately, this isn't a high priority update and blowing sunshine isn't going to help the techies identify what users feel are more useful.


You should go through my replies before posing questions where the answers were already posted.

babaganoosh
Forumember

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by mostlycichlids on January 20th 2010, 5:47 am

From my stand point I have missed a lot of posts as have a lot of my members. My forum in particular deals with live animals. It is a aquarium hobby forum. There are hundreds of other aquarium forums and competition is tough. Answering posts on my forum sometimes is crucial when it comes to disease, feeding, or an aquarium emergency. Missing posts because of not having the feature may result in life or death for the animal. In which case the member will go where they can get a quick accurate resolution or answer. The feature would benefit me and my forum. I would rather spend time to check off posts I don't care to look at then to miss one, also I like to see new information on my forum it is a sign of growth.

mostlycichlids
Forumember

Posts : 149
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by dotDavid on January 20th 2010, 7:42 am

The whole thing would contradict itself and stuff up. You say "unread". Just posting the topic will mean it has been read, and therefore you will have no topics in that list whatsoever.

dotDavid
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2404
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by mk1rceme on January 20th 2010, 9:03 am

Other forum hosts have this option and it works very well...I don't see why there is criticism about it. It is a very handy thing to have.

mk1rceme
New Member

Posts : 8
Reputation : 0
Language : English

http://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by SophieDophs on January 20th 2010, 11:19 am

I vote yes.

I totally get where you're coming from, Michael. There are forums that I frequently go on but can't read all the posts in one, two or even three sittings, as I don't always have the time. Plus, I've noticed that the timeout sometimes kicks in too soon and the new posts don't come up at all.

I agree that it should be optional, though, whether we implement this setting and it could even sit alongside the current "view posts since last visit" option, so members have a choice.

WORKAROUND:

In the meantime, I have gotten around this problem by adding two links in the navbar on my own forum:

1. View posts in last 24 hours.
2. View posts in last 7 days.

To do this, you need to use the search facility on your forum and do a search as per the above criteria (i.e. 24 hrs / 7 days or whatever else you need). Make sure you put an asterix * in the search field "Author".

This will bring up a list of your forum's unread posts and in your browser address bar, you'll seen a long URL. Copy the long URL and then go to htp://www.tinyurl.com and paste in the info to create a short URL. Then, take this shortened URL and create a link in your forum's navbar with it.

Hope this makes sense!

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by matt_m on January 24th 2010, 11:01 pm

@mk1rceme wrote:Other forum hosts have this option and it works very well...I don't see why there is criticism about it. It is a very handy thing to have.

Agree 100%.

matt_m
Forumember

Posts : 322
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by matt_m on January 24th 2010, 11:04 pm

@babaganoosh wrote:
@matt_m wrote:I'm not saying you should have voted yes, I'm saying you shouldn't have voted no, which are two completely different things.
See these reasons for why I did vote no. I don't see why I shouldn't vote no when I have reasons to do it.
And none of these were proposed in the suggestion, so to say that an imaginary (at this point) work around is a valid solution isn't going to help matters. You'd have to put it in the suggestion to implement them all at once or the suggestion still has my flaw because nothing will be corrected if this suggestion is implemented as described.

Also, removing all these threads manually seems like it's more work than just choosing which topics to watch and going into them the next time you log in.


@matt_m wrote:Are you really objecting to having an extra link on the forum index?
See the following quote for why I have not voted for an extra link. While the focus is not on the feature being optional, the argument is still the same.
A rough guess of 90-95% (possibly even more) of these suggestions are optional, so does that mean everybody should vote yes anyways? Is this going help the techies prioritize what suggestions are more important and wanted? If you just vote "yes"' for everything optional, then there's no point in anybody voting in those threads at all. You should not only be voting for the perceived usefulness of the feature, but also to demonstrate how high on the priority list it should be. And unfortunately, this isn't a high priority update and blowing sunshine isn't going to help the techies identify what users feel are more useful.


You should go through my replies before posing questions where the answers were already posted.

Very sorry but what you quoted there are not legitimate answers to my questions. For example saying "does that mean everybody should vote yes anyways?" is not a good answer nor does it relate to the original point anyway. I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, I seriously feel that you are having trouble justifying your vote.

matt_m
Forumember

Posts : 322
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by babaganoosh on January 25th 2010, 9:05 am

Lol...there's legit answers to your questions now? Care to venture one then since you seem to know what answers are and aren't legit?


For example saying "does that mean everybody should vote yes anyways?" is not a good answer nor does it relate to the original point anyway.
Just because you can't make the connection, doesn't mean it doesn't relate.

Original point for why people voted no:
Because voting yes for a marginally advantageous feature does not help technies prioritize which features should be implemented first.

How does that not relate?

I seriously feel that you are having trouble justifying your vote.
And I feel you have trouble refuting anything that I've said. Your work-around to the problem I brought up in the first post was an imaginary solution that isn't possible, nor was it ever proposed, so that doesn't magically solve the problem. Then when I responded to the 3 sections of your post, your next post didn't address anything I brought up and you just asked questions that were already addressed. And now your latest post didn't explain why my answers didn't qualify for your standard of legitimacy. You just said they don't and then again disregarded everything posted.

If you're just going to disregard everything anyways, why bother asking for reasons why people voted no?

babaganoosh
Forumember

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by mostlycichlids on February 3rd 2010, 10:59 pm

Voice your opinion, I am sure other foruotion users would like the option!

mostlycichlids
Forumember

Posts : 149
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by michael.h.o on February 11th 2010, 11:26 am

If the problem is that you get many posts in the list, then why don't you use the option there is now, "Mark All Forrums As Read". That is somthing you can do any time if there are no more posts you wan't to read Smile

The use og post the last 24 houres og last 7 days aren't always that good when you get over 1.000 posts a week.

The option will solve alot of problems for me and the users of my forum, and it also looks like it might help other people too. That makes it a good suggestion.

michael.h.o
Forumember

Male Posts : 85
Reputation : 0
Language : Danish
Location : Denmark

http://kingsalliance.danskforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by Dave.cyco on December 11th 2012, 1:15 am

@mk1rceme wrote:Other forum hosts have this option and it works very well...I don't see why there is criticism about it. It is a very handy thing to have.

Absolutely right. Voting no for this feature is akin to saying "I have no use for it, so because I don't want it or think it's useful or important, nobody should ever benefit from it". What nonsense, frankly.

Why don't we have this option? It should be easy to implement. See my concern here as well: http://help.forumotion.com/t69849-first-unread-message#772868

And this thread, for example: http://help.forumotion.com/t64585-view-unread-posts?highlight=first+unread, should never have been locked. The answer given by NaXuh is dead wrong. View posts since last visit only shows the last post. Hem

Dave.cyco
Forumember

Posts : 31
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by SLGray on October 10th 2015, 9:05 pm

Bumping to move this suggestion to the first page.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35667
Reputation : 2375
Language : English
Location : United States

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by Cú Chulainn on December 12th 2015, 7:48 pm

Voted "yes". Recently some of the users on my forum have been asking for such functionallity (phpbb2). The good old "show all unread since last visit" does not always do the trick, as sometimes one can't get through every new post during the visit. Would really appreciate having it added.

Cú Chulainn
New Member

Posts : 3
Reputation : 1
Language : English, Polish

http://nothing2lose.gameproforums.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An option to show all your unread posts(since joining the forum)

Post by Chromo on April 13th 2016, 8:48 am

Voted yes.

Chromo
Forumember

Male Posts : 122
Reputation : 19
Language : said the Captain

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum