The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Password Protection Feature

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you like to have a password protection option for each forum?

85% 85% 
[ 34 ]
13% 13% 
[ 5 ]
2% 2% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 40

Password Protection Feature

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on January 10th 2010, 12:48 am

I am working on moving my board from a different provider to this one. From what I've seen thus far, password protection is not an option. I would like to be able to password protect some specific areas. It fits in with the theme of my board and I would like to have areas that are open to people who figure out the password from riddles and such. It also makes it possible for the members to have "private clubs" in the forums.

Last edited by MHMavisCerdwin on July 22nd 2010, 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

MHMavisCerdwin

Female Posts : 18
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Password Protection Feature

Post by babaganoosh on January 13th 2010, 8:22 pm

If somebody solves it, can't they just spread it to other members and then everybody knows it and the password is completely useless and just makes it more work for a member to access specific sections?

Also, you'll need to add a poll.

babaganoosh
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on January 15th 2010, 5:44 pm

No, never had a problem with that.

And no, they enjoy the riddles and sometimes only certain members need to access an area, but, if someone is clever enough to figure out the password then I am perfectly fine with them getting in there. Besides, except for a few specific areas, I changed the passwords every certain amount of time. I want certain people to be able to get into certain areas, but I don't want it to be completely closed off to anyone. It all fits into the site genre and I have seen many others who do similar things.

And like I said, the private club thing. I want people from different groups to be able to get in, but not all of the people from those different groups.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hilm on January 16th 2010, 9:10 pm

Why not set up a new group and put the people you want to see it in and then set the permissions to view that section to only you and that section?

Hilm
Forumember

Male Posts : 58
Language : english

http://www.totalsportingforums.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on January 16th 2010, 10:48 pm

Because they need to be in specific groups and I would have to make a lot of groups. And like I said before, I want other people to be able to get in if they are clever enough. I want nothing completely off limits to any of the members.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan da Man on April 12th 2010, 12:45 pm

I think this is a good idea for people you know to be able to join and people you don't know to not be able to enter certain areas. If you add people in a group then you don't know who you're adding. The person may say he's someone but he could be someone else. If the website's password protected, then you only tell the people you want to give access to.

Dan da Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan da Man on April 12th 2010, 9:18 pm

This has 100% votes could we have this added as a feature please?

Dan da Man

Back to top Go down

Post by RAtSoaDM on April 13th 2010, 4:14 am

YES! That's exxxxactly what I need for mine! (BEGS)

RAtSoaDM
Forumember

Male Posts : 525

http://bootlegmatrix.netgoo.org/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan da Man on April 13th 2010, 6:13 pm

Yes exactly can we add the feature PLLEAAASSEEE

Dan da Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on May 16th 2010, 12:08 am

Plenty of people have wanted this and I still would really love this as a choice.

To be clear, we want each forum to have a password protection option. It shouldn't be difficult. Just have the option and an area where we specify the password.

If someone does figure it out, it could just be changed.

This would seriously help my site and, as I can see, other sites as well.

I don't understand why this is being ignored.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by rblatch on May 16th 2010, 12:09 am

@MHMavisCerdwin wrote:I am working on moving my board from a different provider to this one. From what I've seen thus far, password protection is not an option. I would like to be able to password protect some specific areas. It fits in with the theme of my board and I would like to have areas that are open to people who figure out the password from riddles and such. It also makes it possible for the members to have "private clubs" in the forums.

Can I just say, that this is possible....

Thanks,
Rob Cool

rblatch
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1042
Language : HTML & CSS (Learning)

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on May 16th 2010, 12:22 am

It's possible to make passwords for each forum? I've made news ones, just today and saw no such option. How is it done?

I do hope you don't mean the permissions area. I literally want to be able to make it so that you have to type in a password to enter a forum or even a sub-forum.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by rblatch on May 16th 2010, 12:30 am

Yes, It can be done. PM me and I'll tell you how to do it Smile

rblatch
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1042
Language : HTML & CSS (Learning)

Back to top Go down

Post by Master Marc on May 16th 2010, 12:31 am

Kirk has seen my tutorial about password protection.

He told me that he's trying to make this possible with forums.

The only way I know at the moment, is to hide a forum and use my script to find the forum by using a password.

Private message me and I'll give you it, Wink ( it can't be posted anywhere else )

Master Marc
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
Language : English and Spanish.

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on May 16th 2010, 12:32 am

It is a secret? Hmmm....do I have to join a cult to find out?

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spuddie978 on May 17th 2010, 12:05 pm

i like a password protection it also stops certain hackers Very Happy

Spuddie978
Forumember

Male Posts : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on May 17th 2010, 9:46 pm

Someone chose "no" since I was last on and didn't give a reason? Hhhhmmm...

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfSports on May 17th 2010, 10:39 pm

It is possible but requires some outside knowledge. I've done it on my forum. You just need a code, a HTML page and some more code. =P

KingOfSports
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2487
Language :
Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on May 17th 2010, 10:46 pm

Most providers make it an automatic option. Someone did send me a code for it and I'm trying to get it in there correctly. Dunno yet if it is what I need.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by afish2far on June 13th 2010, 3:24 pm

has this been resolved yet? My board is in the process of changing hosts and there are loads of places where you have to guess the password in order to join in the activities, so I could really do with someone to tell me if/how this is possible!

Thanks a lot Smile

afish2far

Back to top Go down

Post by Serena34 on June 13th 2010, 5:00 pm

This would be a GREAT feature, I have voted yes.
Dont want to mess about with scripts though..

Serena34
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on June 13th 2010, 8:16 pm

Some like to think that it has been resolved, but I'd like to think that it isn't.

Thus far I have to make a forum in which to put a password forum in order to password protect one specific forum. It takes a lot of time and has made me run out of forum room, so I have to make a whole other board for another section of the board.

I really don't see why this feature isn't possible. Every other board that I have been on has simply had an area when making the forums where you type in a word and it's automatically password protected with that word.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by amoon on June 16th 2010, 6:06 pm

I do not for the life of me understand why this important feature has not been implemented.
Members on my blog make ebooks. we are about to start a feature where each ebook will contain a password - if you have the book, you are allowed in that section of the forum.
To make a group (as had been suggested) and have to add additional members every time someone bought any of the 60 or so different titles would be totally impractical.
Like the other poster, without this feature, I will need to pack up and move to one of the other forums that have this facility - and as far as I can see - that is all of the others.
I do not want to do this - I really don't as it will be a hell of a job and we would lose so much from a forum that has matured over years here.
Why such a simple and popular facility is not implemented is difficult to understand.
Why have none of the moderators answered this question?
Forumotion, we love you and want to stay!

amoon

Language : uk

Back to top Go down

Post by IndestructibleGoddess on June 19th 2010, 12:32 am

I think it is a great idea and I wish they would implement it. I've actually thought of changing servers since it doesn't have that option here.

IndestructibleGoddess

Female Posts : 22

http://thesickness.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on July 22nd 2010, 10:40 pm

I'm starting to think about that too. There are so many things that I do like about fourmotion, but the password thing is real important for my forum. Really, what keeps me from switching over is how long it will take to make the new site and that it will be inconvenient for my members. If I could just automatically move everything over to another provider, then I would.

The lack of moderator reply has bothered me as well. Perhaps someone else should start a new thread on this subject and give it a title that will catch their attention. It might be that I annoy them. I don't know.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 11:46 pm

@MHMavisCerdwin wrote:I'm starting to think about that too. There are so many things that I do like about fourmotion, but the password thing is real important for my forum. Really, what keeps me from switching over is how long it will take to make the new site and that it will be inconvenient for my members. If I could just automatically move everything over to another provider, then I would.

The lack of moderator reply has bothered me as well. Perhaps someone else should start a new thread on this subject and give it a title that will catch their attention. It might be that I annoy them. I don't know.
Well it seems like a rather useless feature for most forums. And Marc says he has a script that can do the job, try that out. That's the thing about Forumotion, just because there isn't a magic button for everything doesn't mean you can't do it. Smile

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686
Language : English, HTML, CSS, JavaScript

http://www.creative-nation.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on July 30th 2010, 10:28 pm

Well it seems like a rather useless feature for most forums. And Marc says he has a script that can do the job, try that out. That's the thing about Forumotion, just because there isn't a magic button for everything doesn't mean you can't do it. Smile

A "magic button"? Wow, you are clever.

The script doesn't do the job that I want and that is a feature that has been used in most forums that I've been to that give the option (which are all over forums).

And I have used another way to do it, but I had to make two extra forums and use HTML code to do it. Because of that, I had to make a whole other site because it took up so many forums to do. That took ages and it doesn't even work right most of the time and both were quite pointless because people could just click on the link to go to it without using a password.

So, that script does not do the job.

I'm just going to switch to a different forum and I suggest that everyone else who needs password protection do so as well. Apparently forumotion isn't willing to do what it needs to do to make it's use easier and more convenient. Must be run by a bunch of amateurs because every other forum provider has the option and didn't seem to find it a difficult thing to provide for it's users. Reminds me of most local businesses. They want everyone to shop there to "help the city", yet they are rude to their customers and do not provide a good service.

MHMavisCerdwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bata on August 12th 2010, 8:06 pm

could someone who knows this password HTML thing PM it PLZ. i need it.

Bata

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem on August 13th 2010, 7:55 am

@Master Marc wrote:It can't be posted anywhere else

Two options:
> Propose it as a tut for the Tricks and Tips
> Propose it as a Tuesday Tip

Knowedge should always be shared tongue

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Master Marc on August 13th 2010, 8:31 am

@Caihlem wrote:Knowledge should always be shared tongue
Fine, fine... I'll talk it over with Typlo in about 1 or 2 weeks ( for Tips Tuesday ) after I sort our a few things with him.

I'm thinking an extra backlink can benefit me in exchange for the script. ( But, I'll have to create a new script, which behaves in a different way but same purpose )

I saw that Sports King staff reviewer dude backlinking to his/her forum from that last tutorial about color changing or something. ( I was shocked because such a simple script could have been made by a child in less than 5 minutes... So, I figured, almost every tutorial which includes codes of some sort, can be accepted, lol )

Also, I was sharing this script at my website design forum, but since I've closed my forum for good, this is why I'd share a similar script which I'll re-create and share with forumotion users. ( I like tips Tuesday because it's being displayed in the admin panel of every forumotion forum. )

PS. JavaScript isn't something to be used for protecting data. This is just something that I put together because people were only complaining about wanting password protected forums...

Master Marc
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
Language : English and Spanish.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum