The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Password Protection Feature

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you like to have a password protection option for each forum?

85% 85% 
[ 34 ]
13% 13% 
[ 5 ]
2% 2% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 40

Password Protection Feature

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on January 10th 2010, 12:48 am

First topic message reminder :

I am working on moving my board from a different provider to this one. From what I've seen thus far, password protection is not an option. I would like to be able to password protect some specific areas. It fits in with the theme of my board and I would like to have areas that are open to people who figure out the password from riddles and such. It also makes it possible for the members to have "private clubs" in the forums.

Last edited by MHMavisCerdwin on July 22nd 2010, 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

MHMavisCerdwin

Female Posts : 18
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Password Protection Feature

Post by Darren1 on August 13th 2010, 9:56 am

At face value & a a long search of the admin panel the suggestion appears to be a suggestion, I don't find it to be the face value suggestion, Ill explain.

Alike some people above me, Marc, & Justin have said, this is already possible (even though were all most likely using a different script, it would be similar) thus making the suggestion invalid. (Hence the face value of the suggestion) tongue

I would like to see this suggestion to integrate a default-value option to have a password, which would be in the permissions.
Now yes the same old argument, why bother with a guessable password, when permissions does a far better job?

It's called password-permissions; it where you set it so only user A,B,C & D can view the forum via the password.
However if user B gave user G the password, he can't enter.
However, user C gave the password out to user H, and he also gets the denied message, however, because I the admin have given user H permission to access the forum, he can already see it.

Again, simple JS, easily coded, easily inter graded into the Admin panel.

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by MHMavisCerdwin on August 15th 2010, 2:02 am

Again, I want anyone who ends up with the password to be able to get in there. Permissions doesn't work for my site. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't want ANYONE completely unable to get in areas. If they are clever enough or need to be able to post in there because of the plot, then I want them to be able to. Permissions doesn't do the job, nor does any of the script or code that I have tried and been given. It doesn't do the job. Again, what is so hard to understand about it?

MHMavisCerdwin

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on March 30th 2013, 9:15 am

We will continue with the following same suggestions thread, since it has more Yes votes as on 49 to 34 here.
http://help.forumotion.com/t37401-forum-with-password

Thread Locked

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum