The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible to search POST content not just titles?

+5
daf1999
eattheword
kirk
Jophy
Kerry Kistler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Possible to search POST content not just titles? Empty Possible to search POST content not just titles?

Post by Kerry Kistler May 10th 2010, 10:52 pm

Is there any way to make the search engine look at both post titles AND actual post content? This would be a very important tool for my forum so that the posts would act like a data base of info. Many times you just can't get all the important search terms into a post title.

Thanks for your help,
Kerry
http://thechalkloft.heavenforum.org/forum.htm
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Possible to search POST content not just titles? Empty Re: Possible to search POST content not just titles?

Post by Jophy May 11th 2010, 3:27 am

You can search both on topic titles and actual post but not at the same time, there's already a feature to choose where to search(either on the actual posts or topic titles)
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Possible to search POST content not just titles? Empty Re: Possible to search POST content not just titles?

Post by Kerry Kistler May 11th 2010, 4:04 am

I don't think so because when I click the Search button on my forum (see first post for address), it says "Display Results as..." and then you can select posts or topics. But that doesn't actually toggle between searching posts or topics. I've run a couple of tests and know that it won't find key words that are in old posts. Those posts won't show up in the results list.

If you are right, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kerry
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry Kistler May 11th 2010, 6:43 am

I don't know what you mean by "what kind of forum". It's a forum. People post comments under different topics. See link in first post if you want to take a look.

Here's an example of what's happening. I can search on the term Noah. It will find 1 post which has the name Noah in the title. But I know that there are several other posts which have name Noah in the body of the post. the search engine does not pick up on those posts. Same with the word Christmas.

Zoids25 said "You can search both on topic titles and actual post"

He may be right but then why doesn't it work for me?

Thanks
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 11th 2010, 6:50 am

oh you have to go to the search option in your navigation bar. then it has the option to choose post or topics. i think if you do the search bar that appears on the forum then it's only topics.

i was asking what kind of forum so i can give a description on what you can search for to see what works and comes up.. you have to remember the search feature for the forum is not like google.. although the forum dose offer a advanced search as well or you can choose to do a google search.

Anyway the option you are looking for is in the search from the navigation bar.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by eattheword June 27th 2010, 12:52 pm

kirk wrote:oh you have to go to the search option in your navigation bar. then it has the option to choose post or topics. i think if you do the search bar that appears on the forum then it's only topics.

i was asking what kind of forum so i can give a description on what you can search for to see what works and comes up.. you have to remember the search feature for the forum is not like google.. although the forum dose offer a advanced search as well or you can choose to do a google search.

Anyway the option you are looking for is in the search from the navigation bar.

I don't think it is -- the search button still only lets you search for keywords inside thread or post TITLES. What is lacking is a way to search for keywords inside post BODIES. It's very frustrating not to be able to search inside the content of posts. For example, I want to find a post of mine that I know is in a particular thread, but I cannot remember when I made the post. So at the moment the ONLY way to find the post is to go to the thread's first page and manually look for the post stepping through each page one at a time. When there are 68 pages in a thread you can see how tedious this gets. SMF allows for searching insidie post bodies, so why not forumotion? It's very frustrating.
eattheword

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry Kistler July 25th 2010, 4:57 am

Yes! Eattheword understands the problem. I cannot find any way to word-search the contents of all the posts in my forum. The only "hits" that appear in the results list are those where the search-word is in a topic TITLE.

Anybody??
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by daf1999 August 16th 2010, 3:12 pm

I have exactly the same issue, I rarely want to search Thread Titles, I usually want to find posts which contain the word in question
daf1999

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 24th 2010, 4:28 am

Has anyone figured out how to do this?? Or, can the owners of Forumotion fix this?? This is a big problem.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by boffer10 August 24th 2010, 5:18 am

confused I don't understand what Kirk is saying either. Look how often forumotion mods jump on posters for making non-descriptive titles because "that's what the search engine looks at" ?

I'm with everyone else-the search function doesn't look at post content, and it leaves a lot to be desired. We know that we have a lot of valuable information getting buried, and it's frustrating. We've played with a Wiki as a means of cataloging the info, but it's just going to be too time intensive to go that route. I know we would sure appreciate an improved search function.

boffer10
Forumember

Male Posts : 311

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 24th 2010, 5:37 am

Kirk doesn't understand the problem. Here's a clear description: The Search button at the top, or even in the Advanced Search area, will not search the content of someone's post, it ONLY searches the title of a post.

This is BAD. Say it with me..."BAAAAAAD"

Why is this the ONLY forum on the planet that has this option disabled? Does anyone know a way to fix it??
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 24th 2010, 6:51 am

you have to hit search in the navigation bar.. then you have the option to choose post or topics.

see where it says search in our navigation bar at the top of the page click that and you will see.

If you do not have that in your nav bar then you will have to add it to your forum.

And i did get mixed up a lil at first..but check out the search feature in the navigation bar next to FAQ at the top of this page.

Just for the record i have removed my first post.
it was not intended to sound sarcastic.You have to understand that you have to explain things in full details and we are not mind readers miracle workers. for all i know you could be talking about the google search bar.

But dont sit here and try to say i don't know what i am talking about. if it's something i don't understand or know what someone means then i will say so.And we staff are not perfect and make mistakes as well sometimes.
but the feature for searching post or topics are in the nav bar.
that still dose not mean everything you may be searching for will come up.

Last edited by kirk on August 24th 2010, 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 24th 2010, 7:02 am

Yes, I am clicking Search in the navigation bar. Do YOU see where it says "Display results as " in that little box?

That means how your results will display, NOT WHAT IT IS SEARCHING. It is NOT - I repeat, NOT - searching the Body of the posts.

There are so many posts on Forumotion that it's INSANE. This is a REAL problem, not just somebody not understanding how to do a search.

I am happy to explain this further if you STILL don't understand, but by now, you really should know what I'm talking about.

Update: OK, I'm sorry to sound sarcastic, too. I'm just VERY frustrated that the Search button is not really searching the content of posts.

Second update: I don't think you fully understand how the Search button is working. Go to my forum http://mglavionics.forumotion.com and do a search for Kirkforumotion It will NOT find anything. But, I titled that post to say CrazyWomen so if you do a search for CrazyWomen, you WILL find the post. The problem is that the Search does NOT look inside each post for key words.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 24th 2010, 7:12 am

yes it is searching the post.

look check it out i just did a search.. i typed the word(scroll) in

now you go down the list and you will see many post with the word scroll highlighted in the post.

it's all in your key words.

but you know what.. i gave my answers so i will just direct a global mod to come here and try to help you out on this one.

because i do not understand what you to expect to come up.
it would all depend on the key words you are doing the search on.

i am going to go on a couple large forums and do some random searching as well.. but will pm a global mod for you too to see if they can help out or answer your questions a lil more.

oh hers the link.. like i said i just added scroll.. and you can see many post with the word highlighted right in the post.

https://help.forumotion.com/search.forum?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=scroll&show_results=posts
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Spyridon August 24th 2010, 9:54 am

Huh, I'm having the same problem. I know I posted the term "By the Light of the Moon" but when I place it into the search, it does not come up. However when I post Harry Potter into the box, those threads with the term in the post title pop up as well as highlighting the context within the posts (which is weird). The same things happens when I try to use the story titles that are contained in the post content itself ONLY but not in the titles which contain the fiction pairing.

You said I can add this search so it can check the text inside all the posts, if so how can I do that?

I think this is the only issue I have with this forum host.
Spyridon
Spyridon

Female Posts : 12

http://caer-arianrhod.forummotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 24th 2010, 3:28 pm

Kirk, It does not work for anyone else. If I enter "Scroll" in the Nav bar search the Search button that sits in the middle of FAQ and Create a Free Forum and it brings me to a page where "Scroll" is in the Topic Title. Same thing happens when I put "Scroll" in the little search box on the upper-right of this page.

It works this way for EVERY BODY on my forum. Have you tried the example I mentioned? It's broken on my page, and apparently many other's too. Please help.

Someone..help...please. Please? Moderators? Owners? Please?
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 24th 2010, 3:30 pm

Edit: kirk
Message to staff.This is not a double post. i had a post of mine in between this but delete it by mistake instead of editing it.My bad... Embarassed

Spyridon, it's the only issue I have, too. If there's a setting somewhere, then please tell me! This is a big problem for forum members trying to find information.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 24th 2010, 3:33 pm

One more thing, Kirk. I looked at your link for your Scroll search...I think the reason it highlights all the words in the post is because the word "Scroll" is still in the Topic Header. If you do a search for a word that is ONLY in the body, your search will not find it.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by boffer10 August 24th 2010, 4:42 pm

In May, some regulars on my forum made up a word: 'bofferamus'

We've been keeping track of the times it has been used; we're up to 36 times the word has been used in a post and nowhere else. It's still not showing up in any searches.

What is the threshold in order to be listed in a search?
boffer10
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 24th 2010, 7:28 pm

Thanks, Kirk...please have one of the higher ups contact me for a better description, if needed. Can we get an idea of how long it will take to fix this?

Also, I'm more than willing to help via telephone or teleconference to address this. We can use WebEx or something if needed.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 25th 2010, 2:10 am

Hey guys, just checking to see if one of the higher ups have looked at this yet. How long does it usually take for someone to get back to us? Maybe a status update would be good?
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by boffer10 August 25th 2010, 2:21 am

lostpilot28 wrote:Hey guys, just checking to see if one of the higher ups have looked at this yet. How long does it usually take for someone to get back to us? Maybe a status update would be good?
LMAO Possible to search POST content not just titles? 262465

We might be communicating here on the forum at near the speed of light, but info travels by a slow boat to France when it's time for changes to be made. Better pull up a chair and get comfortable! Possible to search POST content not just titles? Guish2
boffer10
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 25th 2010, 11:46 pm

here is a screen shot of my example when i typed the word (scroll) in as a search.

i you can see that it is highlighted in the post there for it is searching post content.

So i dont know how the search is set up here..but i am pretty sure it is just set up to try to narrow down certain key words that you place in your search.. it still dont mean that everything will come up every time.

so i realy have no answer or or understand what it is you exspect it to do?

i did a search for scroll and many post and topics came up.
as you see if you scroll down the list after doing a search you will see some post with the word scroll in the post. so once again it is searching post content. (key words)

Possible to search POST content not just titles? Screen1ct

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 25th 2010, 11:55 pm

kirk wrote:
so i realy have no answer or or understand what it is you exspect it to do?

Here's what I would like you to do. Go to MY forum, and type in the test that I asked you to do. This will show you that it WILL NOT find the post with "kirkforumotion" in it. The word "kirkforumotion" was ONLY used in the body of a post to show you that the search does NOT search in the body of a post.

So Kirk, if you can run your test on MY forum and post screenshots of it working, then I'll stop bugging you. Until then, your test is NOT valid because the word "Scroll" is IN THE POST HEADING.

Really, at this point you need to stop looking at ANYTHING in the heading and ISOLATE the body of the post if you want to see what people are trying to tell you.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 25th 2010, 11:59 pm

By the way, if you intend to keep saying "it still dont mean that everything will come up every time" then I swear I'm going to explode. I'm not even sure why you're saying that. A search should find ANY character string that you put in, whether it's in the body or the heading title.

If you don't believe me go back to my earlier post and try doing a search on MY forum for both different words I told you about. Neither word is a real word (kirkforumotion and crazywomen). As a matter of fact, I could post asdfghjkl in the header and IT WILL FIND IT. But, put it in the body of a message ONLY, and it will not find it.

lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by Spyridon August 26th 2010, 12:33 am

You can even use my username as example. I put my user name into the post body only in the member introduction thread (pg 5 somewhere if you want to check). But when I put it into the search box on this forum, the post doesn't show at all. For me at least.

The only thing we are asking is for someone to add the ability to search through the body context regardless of what it says in the post title. Please.

EDIT: Just want to say when a search in failure, it's quite misleading when the page says that "No topics or posts meet your search criteria when there is a post that fits it. It should only read "No topic title meet your search criteria". I think this is the reason why one of the requirements when posting a question is put the nature of your question in the topic title, as they know the body content won't be read, never mind the fact that it makes it easier to find when others have the same question. .

Last edited by Spyridon on August 26th 2010, 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added some more thoughts.)
Spyridon
Spyridon

Female Posts : 12

http://caer-arianrhod.forummotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 26th 2010, 12:41 am

lostpilot28 wrote:By the way, if you intend to keep saying "it still dont mean that everything will come up every time" then I swear I'm going to explode. I'm not even sure why you're saying that. A search should find ANY character string that you put in, whether it's in the body or the heading title.

If you don't believe me go back to my earlier post and try doing a search on MY forum for both different words I told you about. Neither word is a real word (kirkforumotion and crazywomen). As a matter of fact, I could post asdfghjkl in the header and IT WILL FIND IT. But, put it in the body of a message ONLY, and it will not find it.

What ever i am not going to argue about it. i have no control over how the search features works, so pm a global moderator or admin and see if you can get a tech to upgrade it or something.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 26th 2010, 1:04 am

Wow, Kirk...just when we proved to you that it doesn't work you run for the hills. Way to go, man. The only reason this ever turned into an arguement was that YOU were not listening to what everyone was saying. We are frustrated.

So, tell me how to PM a global moderator or admin and I will. Hopefully they won't be dismissive of a REAL problem when it's shown to them like you were.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 26th 2010, 3:34 am

lol Razz Razz Razz

i am not running nowhere my friend..I just prefer not to deal with the likes of you. i have been doing forum stuff for over 14 years, worked here on this forum for a Lil over a year and have been an active member of this forum about a year befor that.So dont even go there and try to insult my integrity.We are not miracle workers or mind readers and we are not the techs that do all the designing for forumotion,there data base or operating systems etc......

I mean you are realy barking up the wrong tree if you think i am going to sit here and listen to your smart remarks over something as silly to do with you are unhappy with forumotions search options the way they have it set up.

I am a dedicated moderator and dedicated to help all members to the best of my abilities for all that i can help with. there are many here i have helped in the past and they know i will go out of my way to see a problem resolved or atleast try to come up with some sort of options close to getting what ever it may be they are inquiring about.. so kirk dont go running! i am here to help and if i can i will dang it!!!! but if i can avoid argument with unhappy members such as your self for something to do with an option such as this then i will try to avoid it instead of haveing to give warnings out for a member being disrespectful to staff for only trying there best to answer a question or help with a problem.

If you go to paid phpbb boards and do a search you will see it's set up the exact same way.And i mean your forum search is not ask.com yahoo, or google. as far as i know forumotion uses the same set up for the search as the regular phpbb forums do.. and all phpbb forums have been set up like this for years. if this is the case which i am pretty sure it is.. that means forumotion would have to develop and incorporate a whole new search feature of something that is better then how phpbb has there's set up.

And this is not just something they can slap together right way or may even consider doing.. but i am not a tech so i can not speak for them.

And i am listen to what you are saying but some members seem the answers we provide are never good enough.. i mean what are we to do.. you can go suggest better features for the search option for the forums on the suggestions board or ask a admin or global mod for any other additional information.

Honestly i do not think they are going to be able to provide you with any other answers then what i have provided. they will most likely say you can sagest this on the suggestions board.

To contact a global mod or admin just go to there profile and hit contact to message them.. if your going 5to pm a admin i would try luky first and request if he can bring it to typlos attention.

And you can go here and suggest it as well. i will vote yes for it.
https://help.forumotion.com/suggestion-section-f29/

But just to reiterate real fast. you have to realise that us support staff have nothing to do with what features are added or the performance. i tried to explain the best i can.. i mean i hate to say things like it is what it is. but in this case thats what it is and only forumotion can upgrade it. If i knew of a way for something you can add to your forum to get better results and performance your damn right i would tell everyone how to do it. but unfortunately this is not the case.

lostpilot28 wrote:Thanks, Kirk...please have one of the higher ups contact me for a better description, if needed. Can we get an idea of how long it will take to fix this?

Also, I'm more than willing to help via telephone or teleconference to address this. We can use WebEx or something if needed.

lostpilot28 wrote:Hey guys, just checking to see if one of the higher ups have looked at this yet. How long does it usually take for someone to get back to us? Maybe a status update would be good?

lostpilot28.
Double posting back to back within a 24 hour period is prohibited on forumotion support.Please refrain from doing this in any future post.Next time wait for a reply or add any additional content you may have in your previous post via the post edit button.
Thank you
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 26th 2010, 4:33 am

Alright Kirk, my apologies if I've offended you. The reason I am so frustrated is that because you seem to not understand the problem even though it's been explained to you several times, and not just by me.

And no, the other forums out there do NOT work the way the Forumotion forums do. They DO IN FACT search the body of a post, even if a key word is not in the title. If you want to see how it DOES NOT work, then just try the example I provided you on my forum. 14 years experience or not, you ARE WRONG about this problem. No disrespect...honestly, man. I don't mean to sound angry, but you really are incorrect about this.

Every other PHPBB forum I belong to works just fine with searches. My Forumotion forum (and apparently a few others here, too) can clearly see that they do NOT search the body of a post.

As for you just being a moderator & support staff...I get it. You're not a dev. Once again, I am sorry for pushing you so hard to help with this real problem.

As for a solution, I looked around and found a post by the Forumotion owners (sorry, I don't have the link) about Searches. They EXPLICITLY say in their post that searches ONLY WORK FOR TOPIC HEADINGS. This is exactly the problem I have. Every other forum host out there allows searches to be conducted on the post contents. So, I may have to go with another Forum provider, or set up a server and host my own.

Again, sorry for coming across harsh...I was just frustrated that you didn't take the time to investigate the problem given the EXACT variables that I explained to you, therefore to you there was no problem.

Thanks for your help.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next