The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible to search POST content not just titles?

+5
daf1999
eattheword
kirk
Jophy
Kerry Kistler
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Possible to search POST content not just titles? - Page 2 Empty Possible to search POST content not just titles?

Post by Kerry Kistler May 10th 2010, 10:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Is there any way to make the search engine look at both post titles AND actual post content? This would be a very important tool for my forum so that the posts would act like a data base of info. Many times you just can't get all the important search terms into a post title.

Thanks for your help,
Kerry
http://thechalkloft.heavenforum.org/forum.htm
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Possible to search POST content not just titles? - Page 2 Empty Re: Possible to search POST content not just titles?

Post by boffer10 August 26th 2010, 4:39 am

This is a standard reply that Mr.Mario posted today:

The forum's search engine bases its research on keywords found in topic titles.

When you do a research, do you use "help", "urgent", "problem", "SOS" or "question" as keywords to look for topics about your problem/question?
Certainly not! So this is why it is important to use titles related to your problem/question. Doing this makes the researches much easier for visitors who use the search engine to get an answer to their question.
Thanks for your understanding.

Cordially
Forumotion Staff
boffer10
Forumember

Male Posts : 311

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Possible to search POST content not just titles? - Page 2 Empty Re: Possible to search POST content not just titles?

Post by kirk August 26th 2010, 5:10 am

ok my bad i can admit if am am not always 100% right or accurate.
i mean everthing is forever changing and we had no where near as half the features we have now compared to back in the day.

Alright anyway i went over to my paid phpbb3 forum

And yes i / paid phpbb3 have many more search options.

Possible to search POST content not just titles? - Page 2 Tscreen1

Possible to search POST content not just titles? - Page 2 Tscreen2

But now remember this is a paid phpbb forum that is in my previews.
forumotion may not be allowed to add all these features and offer it to it's members on there forum host because you otherwise would have to pay to have this from phpbb.

I am trying to find the link to my free phpbb test board forum and see what it's set up like on that. if it is set up like the screenshots above from my paid forum. then this might be something forumotion can consider adding in the next update.. but you have to suggest it on the suggestions board for them to see it.

But i am thinking that the free phpbb test board i have is set up the same way as forumotion is but i am not sure i have to find the link or just get another test board to know for sure.

But in either case i can agree that it would be killer if forumotion can add the features like what's in my screens above.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 August 26th 2010, 5:47 am

Thanks, Kirk. A couple points (I'll be more civil now):

- You don't need a bunch of additional search options, like your 2 pictures have. That's nice, and it lets you select where to search, but that's way beyond basic search functionality.

- Secondly, I setup a quick forum on the free forum host ProBoards.com. Their search works the way it should. It automatically searches the content of the post, I'm sure the way the paid sites do, too. But, keep in mind that searching the body, or content of a post is very basic functionality. It's almost as if Forumotion has it disabled for some reason.

My Proboard example is at http://mglavionics.proboards.com/index.cgi

Do a search for the word Odyssey. It will pull up 2 results. That word (Odyssey) is not in the Title on either of the 2 posts I created but it still pulls up the results. This is working properly.

Also do a search for Enigma. It will pull up results for this word, too and it is listed in both a Heading and a Post. This works as it should as well.

But, that's where Forumotion disappoints me. This basic functionality doesn't work. I don't wan the additional search options...I just want the Searches to look inside the Body of the post like every other PHPBB site out there. Free or not, they ALL do this except for Forumotion.

Thanks again.
lostpilot28

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 26th 2010, 6:14 am

ok well the only thing that can be done now is to suggest it.
It's something that would have to be added in the next update if they consider doing it forumotion do go through the suggestions and have added many in the past.. but they will not just add one thing at a time. when they do a update it's always a few features or options they add..

i think the last update was like 8 or so.. i cant remember.. but the one befor that was huge with like 27. and i believe a lot of those came from people voting and suggesting it..
but thats about all we can do at this point is just to suggest it.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Spyridon August 26th 2010, 6:54 am

Kirk, I have a question.

My first post was in this thread.

That's where you want suggestions placed for new updates, correct?
Spyridon
Spyridon

Female Posts : 12

http://caer-arianrhod.forummotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry Kistler September 18th 2010, 10:35 pm

I'm glad to see this thread is still active since I made first the post.

LostPilot and others really do get the problem and I think Kirk now sees it too.

But just in case, here's the deal:

I have told people that my forum thechalkloft.heavenforum.org could become the defacto database for information relating to chalk art. If a subscriber logs in and searches the word "Christmas" they will get 3 hits. But those hits only happen because the word Christmas is in the post TITLE.

What the member will never see is the 6 or 7 other posts that have important information regarding Christmas. This should not be. It is often impossible to put every relevant search word in a post TITLE.

Please move this issue up the chain of command until somebody takes notice of this very vexing problem. This is basic and should not seem like an exotic request. I visit The Magic Cafe forum all the time (totally FREE) and the search function finds the target word even if it is NOT present in the post title.

Time to get this fixed. Please.

Kerry Kistler
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by lostpilot28 September 19th 2010, 1:34 am

Good luck with that, Kerry. I tried to get them to listen, then ranted and raved and it got me no where. Confused

Unfortunately, I think it's easier for them to say "sorry, that's how it works" rather than actually fix it. It is clearly broken, and I believe they know it.

I, unfortunately, couldn't tolerate the lack of a fully functioning search, so I deleted my forum and moved it elsewhere.
lostpilot28

Back to top Go down

Post by Spyridon September 20th 2010, 1:54 am

Sad to see you go lostpilot. But considering I just moved my forum from another site to this one I don't want to force my few members to go through another move.

It just kind of sad that for such a basic search function, you have to pay for it when I don't really need anything else. All we ask is that the search include searches within the posted text and not just titles.
Spyridon
Spyridon

Female Posts : 12

http://caer-arianrhod.forummotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana September 25th 2010, 1:29 pm

Well, I'd like an update that would search for words in titles, cause on my forum it can't even do that.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry Kistler September 25th 2010, 5:33 pm

I don't think Sanket would mind me sharing this email and link. Be sure you all click on the link and VOTE to get this changed. As of Sep 21, 2010 there were 34 votes YES to resolve the Post search issue:

"Well the search function is working on titles & not the actual posts as kirk has already mentioned, the best bet would be to Provide your inputs in this suggestion
https://help.forumotion.com/suggestions-for-your-forums-f30/another-suggestion-for-better-search-function-t31353.htm

Sanket went on to say that there was no "magic number" of votes that would tip the scales to take action but, usually, the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

Vote!
Kerry

Last edited by Kerry Kistler on September 25th 2010, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry Kistler September 25th 2010, 5:40 pm

btw, does anybody know how/where to change the color of text for words that are found after a search? What I mean is, when I do a search on a particular word the "hit list" shows the words in a color that nearly matches my background color and makes it impossible to read.

Hope that made some sense...
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2