The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

7-13-10 Error Syntax message in chatbox

View previous topic View next topic Go down

7-13-10 Error Syntax message in chatbox

Post by OLOV on July 13th 2010, 3:42 pm

We have 3 problems on the forum.

1. We keep receiving an ""error syntax" message in the chat box.

2. Then we have to Log Out of the forum + it takes over 5 minutes to Log IN the forum.

3. Each time we enter the chat box we receive an "Error Syntax'' message and the cycle repeats.

Please advise.

For a hopeful solution I will do the following:

1. Increase the length of time to remain online.
2. Switch to Fire Fox
3. Disconnect the chat box and reconnect.
4. Clear the cache.

Last edited by OLOV on July 14th 2010, 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

OLOV
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Re: 7-13-10 Error Syntax message in chatbox

Post by OLOV on July 23rd 2010, 7:34 pm

Not solved.

I've spent --- many hours -- doing research in phpbb's technical support -- in order to solve our problem -- in that a member can not staying logged in the chat box.

We did ( everything) suggested ..

One member can log in the chat box (but he cannot remain in the chat box for a long time) -- but he can stay logged in the forum.
Now -- there's no error message sent.

Please advise.

Should an Administrator here contact ''the Godfather of technical support'' to investigate the problem ?

Please send me a PM and I will send you our forum link.
Thanks so much !!

Last edited by OLOV on July 23rd 2010, 7:37 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

OLOV
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on July 23rd 2010, 11:31 pm

Hello,

What you read on the phpbb's support forum doesn't necessarily work here on forumotion, because we are not true phpbb.
Yes, we use the base platform of phpbb (hence the copyright & links back to them) but we use our own style of coding called SITU, which is basically a home made coding style.

There is no need to contact The Godfather, if we need a technician's intervention, we will ask our Lesion Typlo to help out Smile

First and formost the problem;

What browser is this occuring on?
Is this occuring to all users or a few specific users?
Can we have the forum's URL, and a screenshot of whats going on.

Just to let you know, you can be in the chatbox forever, however, if you don't seen a message of any sort within 10 minutes, you are logged out.
However, as per your settings for how long a user can be online ( as opposed to offline) if specifically for the forum.
Admin panel >> Users & Groups > user options > Time in minutes before a member is considered "Offline" :

11 - Personalization of time in minutes after which the member is considered "offline"
: the admin can configure it according to their wishes in minutes (max.
60 minutes). If the user exceeds the time set by the admin without any
action on the forum, he will be considered "offline".

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by OLOV on August 11th 2010, 10:04 pm

Hi Darren -- thank you for replying.

I spent numerous hours on research in this phpbb section on how to solve [all ] possible connection problems... and I did my job well -- to save in the Admin panel all I needed to do.

The problem is only occurring with one member.

He switched to firefox browser ( problem not solved).

He had his computer fixed recently 8-09-10-- (with no success -- that is -- he can log in the forum, log in the chat box, but he can't always remain logged ln --he's booted off --- and he can't get back in the chat box.)

He is no longer receiving a syntax error message in the chat box. (8-11-10)

He logs in the chat box -- he can stay for 15 minutes -- sometimes he can stay logged in for 2 hours -- but it's not reliable online time.
He can't log back in the chat box at all . He is not receiving a syntax error message any more.

You wrote: "There is no need to contact The Godfather, if we need a technician's intervention, we will ask our Lesion Typlo to help out"

Please, we may need a technician intervention to help out. I will send you the cite address by PM.

Thanks so much for the support. I trust you all. You all are a tremendous amount of help.

Please note, he has lack of power problems in his country. But ironically, he can log in AIM successfully, and another forum, and another phpbb chatbox forum and remain online to chat, but not mine. I wonder why?

Last edited by OLOV on August 11th 2010, 10:50 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

OLOV
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on August 12th 2010, 2:19 am

Hi OLOV,

Thanks for the reply & the PM notification Smile

I'm not to sure how to approach this because I haven't seen a syntax error until you brought this up, but ill do my best.
Would you be able to provide me with an account to check out the forum & view/use the chatbox for myself.

So, from my understanding, he is no-longer receiving the "syntax error" message, but can enter the chatbox & talk for 15 minutes then the server kicks him off without a moderator kicking him - would the be correct?

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on August 13th 2010, 4:31 am

According to PM's;

@OLOV wrote:
We have done all we can do on our end to research and find all the
solutions you all offered here and other possible solutions on the
internet. We have saved all changes in the Admin panel.

Arrow The problem only 1 member is booted off the chatbox -- he can't log back in.
Arrow The one member's computer was recently repaired and the problem remains the same in the chatbox :

Arrow Some days he can stay logged in the chatbox for 20 minutes, the suddenly -- he can't get log back in the chatbox.
Arrow Other days he can stay logged in the chatbox for 2 hours (for 3 consecutive days in a row).
Arrow There is currently -- no syntax error message pop-up window in the chatbox.
Arrow He switched to firefox browser.
Arrow
He can remain logged in another phpbb forum chatbox, he can remain
logged in AIM, and log on another forum -- but not on my forum.

Please keep me updated on what you will choose to do next.

I look forward to hearing when you decide to contact the Typlo, reporting this problem to the Techies.
Please reassure them we have done all we can do on our end -- before -- contacting them.

Could you please provide me an account to view the forum & access the chatbox.

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by OLOV on August 13th 2010, 10:30 pm

@Darren1 wrote:Hi OLOV,

So, from my understanding, he is no-longer receiving the "syntax error" message, but can enter the chatbox & talk for 15 minutes then the server kicks him off without a moderator kicking him - would the be correct?

---------------
Correct.

When he switched to firefox browser and logged in the forum only with firefox, the " Syntax error" message no longer appeared.

--------------

Arrow He logs in the chatbox. Types a message -- sends it -- but Arrow he can't see his sent message Arrow it's a new warning sign he'll be booted.

Could you please provide me an account to view the forum & access the chatbox.
Yes, I'll do both & send it by PM. Thanks!!

OLOV
Forumember

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum