The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Colorized Ranks For User Names

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you agree with being able to colorize the ranking system?

50% 50% 
[ 2 ]
50% 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Colorized Ranks For User Names

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 1:49 am

I think it would be nice if we were able to colorize the ranks that way as each member advances to the next rank, they change in color as well automatically.

*Note- This is a feature that can be already done with the member groups, by setting each group to auto subscribe at a certain post count. However this grouping system isn't smart enough and has problems. I get more into details about that here: Click Here!

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited by SPADEZ on July 22nd 2010, 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Colorized Ranks For User Names

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 1:54 am

You can already do this by adding HTML codes to the ranks.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686
Language : English, HTML, CSS, JavaScript

http://www.creative-nation.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 2:18 am

@LH Justin wrote:You can already do this by adding HTML codes to the ranks.
Will that colorize the users name as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 2:20 am

@SPADEZ wrote:
You can't have both usergroups and ranks colorize the name. It would conflict the two.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 2:39 am

@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
You can't have both usergroups and ranks colorize the name. It would conflict the two.
Thats not what im asking. You said this can be done by adding HTML codes to the ranks. I'm asking you if that will make the users name colored.

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 2:41 am

@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
Thats not what im asking. You said this can be done by adding HTML codes to the ranks. I'm asking you if that will make the users name colored.
No, it won't, it only makes the rank text colored. It's what this forum does.

For example, the code used for my rank.
Code:
<strong><font color="#883D3D">Graphic</font> Designer</strong>

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 3:04 am

@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:

Code:
[b][color=#0083d0]Graphic[/color] Designer[/b]

That is good for colorizing the ranks title, however, this is not what the topic is suggesting. The topic is suggesting the users of the ranks have color.. for example, Newbies (0-10 post) are Green, Members (10-50 post) are Orange. Etc... As they advance in rank, their color changes..

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 3:19 am

@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:

Code:

That is good for colorizing the ranks title, however, this is not what the topic is suggesting. The topic is suggesting the users of the ranks have color.. for example, Newbies (0-10 post) are Green, Members (10-50 post) are Orange. Etc... As they advance in rank, their color changes..
Well you can already do this with groups, and you can't have both the rank and groups define username color. You can however override the appearance of the username with JavaScript.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 3:33 am

@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:

Code:

Well you can already do this with groups, and you can't have both the rank and groups define username color. You can however override the appearance of the username with JavaScript.
I am aware.. Please fully read the OP and click on the link provided which redirects you to my other thread titled "smarter grouping system". This will explain fully why I am suggesting this.

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 3:38 am

@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:

Code:

I am aware.. Please fully read the OP and click on the link provided which redirects you to my other thread titled "smarter grouping system". This will explain fully why I am suggesting this.
Well as long as the groups are further up than the previous one their color ill change. That's a completely different issue.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 4:02 am

@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:

Code:

Well as long as the groups are further up than the previous one their color ill change. That's a completely different issue.
Look.. Setting up the grouping system for username to earn color as he ranks up works...But.. It keeps re-adding members to lower ranked groups all because its set to auto-subscribe by a certain post count. If a guy ranks up to Member (50-100 post) his color changes, Great. *However the guy will stay inside the lower ranked group also. I manually remove him from the lower ranked group but he is automatically auto-subscribed back into once he makes another post. This is ruining my statistics and making the site look dumb looking at a bunch of high ranking members in lower groups.

The point of this suggestions is so that I wont have this statistical problem.

All of this is already clarified if you read the OP of this topic and the other topic as I stated above.

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 4:13 am

@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
Look.. Setting up the grouping system for username to earn color as he ranks up works...But.. It keeps re-adding members to lower ranked groups all because its set to auto-subscribe by a certain post count. If a guy ranks up to Member (50-100 post) his color changes, Great. *However the guy will stay inside the lower ranked group also. I manually remove him from the lower ranked group but he is automatically auto-subscribed back into once he makes another post. This is ruining my statistics and making the site look dumb looking at a bunch of high ranking members in lower groups.

All of this is already clarified if you read the OP of this topic and the other topic as I stated above.
Well you have to keep in mind there are more forums than just yours. I don't see how having members in a lower group makes your statistics bad. You can't mess up one feature just to fix another. There will be situations where some things just don't work for everyone. The group and rank system used by Forumotion is good and is meant to try and cater to a large amount of forums. You have to consider there could be downs for other types of forums.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 4:44 am

@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:
@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:

Well you have to keep in mind there are more forums than just yours. I don't see how having members in a lower group makes your statistics bad. You can't mess up one feature just to fix another. There will be situations where some things just don't work for everyone. The group and rank system used by Forumotion is good and is meant to try and cater to a large amount of forums. You have to consider there could be downs for other types of forums.
How are you not able to see that this makes my statistics bad? If I wanted to see what members of the site are "Regulars", If i click the "Regulars" group, I'm going to see a bunch of members in their who are regulars and who are higher ranks. If I was somebody new to my site, I wont be able to tell the difference and I will assume all those members are "Regulars" when in fact they aren't. If I have 100 members in that group but only 80 of them belong in there, Clearly this is messing up my statistics.

I cant accurately see how many members I have who are "Regulars" because the group is infested with "Regulars" and members who are higher ranks. Hence my point, bad statistics. It's improper.

If I was a new member on my site and did a member search for "Regular" members and a bunch of unnecessary members show up.. This is another example of inaccurate statistics....

Back to top Go down

Post by bob8972 on July 22nd 2010, 5:18 am

I like the sound of this, voted yes.

bob8972
Forumember

Male Posts : 460
Language : English

http://gamingforum.free-message-board.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem on July 22nd 2010, 9:13 am

Oi both of you, could you please keep only the quote of the posts above you, because the quote of the quote of the quote of the quote of quote... It eats up the page Razz

I'm afraid I'll be voting No for this one :/
As LH Justin showed, you can colorise ranks with HTML. You can also colorise groups through the ACP.
With ranks, it's the highest that's shown, so there, no issue about with color is shown. With groups, it's the one with the lowest order that's shown. I know you have a suggestion for a better organisation, but for now, this'll have to do Smile

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 9:31 am

@Caihlem wrote:Oi both of you, could you please keep only the quote of the posts above you, because the quote of the quote of the quote of the quote of quote... It eats up the page Razz

As LH Justin showed, you can colorise ranks with HTML. You can also colorise groups through the ACP.
With ranks, it's the highest that's shown, so there, no issue about with color is shown. With groups, it's the one with the lowest order that's shown. I know you have a suggestion for a better organisation, but for now, this'll have to do Smile
Please refer to this post here: http://help.forumotion.com/suggestions-for-your-forums-f30/colorized-ranks-for-user-names-t74617.htm#479931

Which explains the downside of the grouping system, although it works great for me, that is the only problem i am having with it. Inaccurate statistics.

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin on July 22nd 2010, 9:37 am

@SPADEZ wrote:
@Caihlem wrote:Oi both of you, could you please keep only the quote of the posts above you, because the quote of the quote of the quote of the quote of quote... It eats up the page Razz

Please refer to this post here: http://help.forumotion.com/suggestions-for-your-forums-f30/colorized-ranks-for-user-names-t74617.htm#479931

Which explains the downside of the grouping system, although it works great for me, that is the only problem i am having with it. Inaccurate statistics.
Then this suggestion doesn't really have a purpose then does it? Razz

I think you should just stick to the other thread and maybe try to work out a system that will make it work.

LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem on July 22nd 2010, 9:43 am

A quote of a quote
I'm gonna take out me trusty shovel if it keeps on LH

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on July 22nd 2010, 10:22 am

@LH Justin wrote:
@SPADEZ wrote:

Then this suggestion doesn't really have a purpose then does it? Razz

I think you should just stick to the other thread and maybe try to work out a system that will make it work.
Actually this topic is my suggestion for a solution to the group system problem. That is its purpose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on April 22nd 2013, 7:07 pm

Suggestion Clean up

-> Old suggestions(Please feel to create a new thread for the garbaged old suggestions)
-> Implemented suggestions
-> Suggestions which are currently suggested (Please use the SEARCH function)
-> Suggestions which are already possible
-> Unclear Suggestions

=> Please read the guidelines for the suggestion section: http://help.forumotion.com/t93899-suggestions-for-your-forums-how-to
=> Please take a look on the frequently suggested features for your forums:
http://help.forumotion.com/t79095-frequently-requested-suggestions-for-your-forums

Locked & Garbaged

Jophy

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum