The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forumotion to log User IPs at the time of their registration and include this info in the email that's sent to site Administrators

92% 92% 
[ 134 ]
8% 8% 
[ 11 ]
 
Total Votes : 145

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on August 10th 2010, 7:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

At the moment, when users register an account, the only way to see their IP address is (a) if they have already posted on the forum or (b) in the ACP, but you may not always be online at the same time as them so this method is not very effective.

What we need is the user IP address to be logged by forumotion at the time of their registration and this info to included in the email that's already sent to site administrators.

It's not that difficult to implement!

EDIT: Can I just make this clear... what we are asking for is not for the
individual member to submit their IP during registration, but for
Forumotion to GIVE us this information.


Last edited by SophieDophs on August 22nd 2012, 5:15 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info for clarity)

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down


Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by RSguideMaker on August 10th 2012, 1:47 pm

Voted YES!

RSguideMaker
New Member

Male Posts : 17
Reputation : 3
Language : English UK
Location : United Kingdom

http://superiorgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on August 21st 2012, 10:32 pm

Thanks everyone. If we can get the votes to over 100, then maybe the techs might take notice of this poll.

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Shakespeare on August 22nd 2012, 5:08 am

I'll be voting yes- I could completely understand how this would be useful.

Shakespeare
Forumember

Female Posts : 55
Reputation : 10
Language : English
Location : America

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on August 22nd 2012, 5:14 pm

@Shakespeare wrote:I'll be voting yes- I could completely understand how this would be useful.
Cheers mate thumright

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Bully on August 22nd 2012, 6:17 pm

I think that this is a good idea, wouldnt work if the users has a dynamic ip however not everyone does, so ip banning would be really helpfull.

Bully
Forumember

Posts : 81
Reputation : 2
Language : English

http://carp-on.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on August 22nd 2012, 6:57 pm

Cheers thumright

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Beastly on January 17th 2013, 12:58 pm

voted yes, this is needed.

Beastly
Forumember

Posts : 49
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on January 17th 2013, 2:42 pm

Thanks for your vote Thecodinglounge thumleft



TECH'S OR ADMINS - can this suggestion please be escalated?

We have 100 votes now and have been waiting 2.5 years for a response!!!

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Bangernomics on January 28th 2013, 5:06 pm

Just voted YES Very Happy

Bangernomics
Forumember

Female Posts : 144
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on January 28th 2013, 5:53 pm

Thank you Bangernomics Very Happy

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by FIB on January 28th 2013, 11:51 pm

Good idea its a yes from me. Laughing

FIB
Forumember

Male Posts : 482
Reputation : 2
Language : English
Location : UK

http://ourbulgariaforum.freeforums.eu/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on January 29th 2013, 12:00 am

Thanks FIB Laughing

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on March 1st 2013, 12:34 am

116 votes so far... so how many do we need before a tech seriously takes a look at this suggestion?

Anyone know?

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by DragonMaster Jay on March 2nd 2013, 10:50 am

Amazing you've worked on this since 2010. Razz

Spam attacks are not easy to deal with and having that IP address right away can save a lot of work.

I wish a final verdict would be issued on this.

DragonMaster Jay
Forumember

Male Posts : 36
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Ohio, US

http://www.helpmyos.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on March 2nd 2013, 2:24 pm

@DragonMaster Jay wrote:Amazing you've worked on this since 2010. Razz
I know, the patience of a saint, eh? lol

@DragonMaster Jay wrote:Spam attacks are not easy to deal with and having that IP address right away can save a lot of work.

I wish a final verdict would be issued on this.
Me too! Thanks for your support.

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by musket on March 2nd 2013, 2:52 pm

I voted yes as well Smile

musket
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1129
Reputation : 131
Language : English
Location : Northern Ireland

http://hemmingsdaman2.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Guest on March 2nd 2013, 6:04 pm

Yes this is much needed on the forums.
As you say at the moment admins cannot see the IP address of new users unless they post.
On my forum I had problems with banned members registering on my forum again.Even though I had account activation by the admins enforced.
Because we could not see the IP of the new user until they posted and it was only then we found it the IPs matched that of a previously banned member.So we had to ban them again,then they would come back with yet another account.
Another problem is that if you have to ban a member and delete all of their posts for whatever reason. You have no record of their IP address as it is only recorded in their posts not in their actual account.
Having this feature could change all that.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Fender on April 1st 2013, 4:56 pm

I had posted a different thread about something similar to this in November 2012 & it was locked because it's similar to this thread.

In the "Registration Information" on a user profile it would be nice to have the IP that they person used when they registered. This way we can do IP checks on them to see if it's someone that was banned or check for a similar IP.

This suggestion was started well over 2 years ago & it's not something that has been implemented (& should be VERY simple to implement), I thought a new suggestion might be worth while.

Fender
Forumember

Male Posts : 47
Reputation : 4
Language : English
Location : Hudson Valley, NY, USA

http://www.begonebrotherhood.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by tazbazuk on April 1st 2013, 5:17 pm

Ive said yes this would be a good idea

tazbazuk
New Member

Posts : 17
Reputation : 1
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Guest on April 1st 2013, 6:20 pm

Well they already have this on Proboards forums and also on Free Forums.org I read.
As I said it would be helpful if they had this on FM.Then we won't have to wait for a member to post to see their IP.
Also if you have account activation by the admin enabled as I have. If you know it is a previously banned member,then you know not to activate their account.
I would rather be able to see the IP on registration than wait for them to post something.
Though even then, I have noticed that the first few posts did not show the same IP, but the later ones did.
Probably because they were using a proxy to hide their IP in their first few posts.
Also most people have Dynamic IPs which constantly change making banned members harder to spot,if they come back again.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by anthonyHobbs on April 2nd 2013, 4:36 am

I'm going to say yes to this idea. I too have had members register again that were banned but without the IP address, is hard to tell if it's a new member or a banned member trying to get into the forums again.
This feature REALLY needs to be implanted, it would help the admins and mods alot with forum security (sorry for the caps)

anthonyHobbs
New Member

Posts : 3
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SLGray on April 2nd 2013, 5:50 am

@anthonyHobbs wrote:I'm going to say yes to this idea. I too have had members register again that were banned but without the IP address, is hard to tell if it's a new member or a banned member trying to get into the forums again.
This feature REALLY needs to be implanted, it would help the admins and mods alot with forum security (sorry for the caps)
Even if you know the IP address, it will not help to stop banned members from registering again because some IP addresses change. I notice my IP address on my forum is not always the same.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35622
Reputation : 2372
Language : English
Location : United States

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Guest on April 4th 2013, 10:20 am

@SLGray wrote:
@anthonyHobbs wrote:I'm going to say yes to this idea. I too have had members register again that were banned but without the IP address, is hard to tell if it's a new member or a banned member trying to get into the forums again.
This feature REALLY needs to be implanted, it would help the admins and mods alot with forum security (sorry for the caps)
Even if you know the IP address, it will not help to stop banned members from registering again because some IP addresses change. I notice my IP address on my forum is not always the same.
That's true. I have notice the same thing on my forum. As I said in an earlier post most people have Dynamic IPs that keep changing.
So even if you do ban an IP,they can still come back on the forum with another one.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on April 6th 2013, 4:02 pm

@musket wrote:I voted yes as well Smile
Thanks Musket thumleft

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on April 6th 2013, 4:07 pm

Andrea Borman wrote:Yes this is much needed on the forums.
As you say at the moment admins cannot see the IP address of new users unless they post.
On my forum I had problems with banned members registering on my forum again.Even though I had account activation by the admins enforced.
Because we could not see the IP of the new user until they posted and it was only then we found it the IPs matched that of a previously banned member.So we had to ban them again,then they would come back with yet another account.
Another problem is that if you have to ban a member and delete all of their posts for whatever reason. You have no record of their IP address as it is only recorded in their posts not in their actual account.
Having this feature could change all that.

Andrea Borman wrote:Well they already have this on Proboards forums and also on Free Forums.org I read.
As I said it would be helpful if they had this on FM.Then we won't have to wait for a member to post to see their IP.
Also if you have account activation by the admin enabled as I have. If you know it is a previously banned member,then you know not to activate their account.
I would rather be able to see the IP on registration than wait for them to post something.
Though even then, I have noticed that the first few posts did not show the same IP, but the later ones did.
Probably because they were using a proxy to hide their IP in their first few posts.
Also most people have Dynamic IPs which constantly change making banned members harder to spot,if they come back again.

Thanks Andrea. thumleft

I'm having a problem lately with certain people registering for an account and if I had their IP address, I wouldn't bother activating them (yes, I have Admin activation enabled, too).

Of course, if they have dynamic IPs, it might not necessarily be helpful, but many people do have Static IPs (I do) and many people are potentially troublesome to a forum but not tech savvy enough to mask their IPs, so having a notification of their IP at the point of their registration would be extremely helpful.

(I'm hoping someone on the staff will take note of this!)

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on April 6th 2013, 4:09 pm

@anthonyHobbs wrote:I'm going to say yes to this idea. I too have had members register again that were banned but without the IP address, is hard to tell if it's a new member or a banned member trying to get into the forums again.
This feature REALLY needs to be implanted, it would help the admins and mods alot with forum security (sorry for the caps)
It really does need to be implemented, Anthony, I agree. thumleft

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Festina Lente on April 6th 2013, 4:18 pm

If somebody has dynamic IP this feature would be useless

Festina Lente
Forumember

Male Posts : 279
Reputation : 20
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on April 6th 2013, 4:27 pm

Can I just reiterate...

The IP address would be harvested at the time the person registers and is then included in the standard email that Admins receive, which advises them that a new member has registered.

Admins could then keep the email and/or make a note of it for future use.

Incidentally, on one of my static websites, I have set up an online form for people to complete. As part of the processing of that form, a script is included to harvest the IP of the person.

When I receive a notification, it starts like this:

The form below was submitted by IP Address: ***.**.**.** on April 6, 2013 at 12:32


-------------------------------------------------------------------------


.... (and then it lists the form response fields)

This is what we need, and NOW! We've been waiting long enough!!!


The Admin notification from FORUMMOTION could look like this:
Hello,

The account owned by "*******" has been deactivated or newly created, you should check the details of this user (if required) and activate it using the following link:

(profile link here)

The account was created by IP Address: ***.**.**.** on April 6, 2013 at 12:32

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by Jophy on April 6th 2013, 4:52 pm

@SophieDophs wrote:
@musket wrote:I voted yes as well Smile
Thanks Musket thumleft

@SophieDophs wrote:
Andrea Borman wrote:Yes this is much needed on the forums.
As you say at the moment admins cannot see the IP address of new users unless they post.
On my forum I had problems with banned members registering on my forum again.Even though I had account activation by the admins enforced.
Because we could not see the IP of the new user until they posted and it was only then we found it the IPs matched that of a previously banned member.So we had to ban them again,then they would come back with yet another account.
Another problem is that if you have to ban a member and delete all of their posts for whatever reason. You have no record of their IP address as it is only recorded in their posts not in their actual account.
Having this feature could change all that.

Andrea Borman wrote:Well they already have this on Proboards forums and also on Free Forums.org I read.
As I said it would be helpful if they had this on FM.Then we won't have to wait for a member to post to see their IP.
Also if you have account activation by the admin enabled as I have. If you know it is a previously banned member,then you know not to activate their account.
I would rather be able to see the IP on registration than wait for them to post something.
Though even then, I have noticed that the first few posts did not show the same IP, but the later ones did.
Probably because they were using a proxy to hide their IP in their first few posts.
Also most people have Dynamic IPs which constantly change making banned members harder to spot,if they come back again.

Thanks Andrea. thumleft

I'm having a problem lately with certain people registering for an account and if I had their IP address, I wouldn't bother activating them (yes, I have Admin activation enabled, too).

Of course, if they have dynamic IPs, it might not necessarily be helpful, but many people do have Static IPs (I do) and many people are potentially troublesome to a forum but not tech savvy enough to mask their IPs, so having a notification of their IP at the point of their registration would be extremely helpful.

(I'm hoping someone on the staff will take note of this!)

@SophieDophs wrote:
@anthonyHobbs wrote:I'm going to say yes to this idea. I too have had members register again that were banned but without the IP address, is hard to tell if it's a new member or a banned member trying to get into the forums again.
This feature REALLY needs to be implanted, it would help the admins and mods alot with forum security (sorry for the caps)
It really does need to be implemented, Anthony, I agree. thumleft
Hi, kindly use the EDIT button instead of double/triple posting, you can also use the multi quote button. Thanks Smile

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Reputation : 835
Language : English
Location : Somewhere

Back to top Go down

Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs on April 6th 2013, 5:01 pm

Thank you for your reminder. I was in fact replying individually to those members, but I will bear this in mind the next time I post. thumright


Incidentally, whilst you are now looking at this thread and whilst you are a STAFF member, it would be extremely helpful if you would raise the topic of this thread in the Staff Room and expedite the process of actioning our request. Many thanks.

Thanks.

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum