The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Suggestion For Backup Downloads

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Make Full Backup Downloads Available

60% 60% 
[ 6 ]
40% 40% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 10

Suggestion For Backup Downloads

Post by StoneRaven on August 19th 2010, 9:41 pm

Not sure if this is the right place if not I'm sorry. I have 1 main suggestion. Provide downloadable zip files to the forum founders. The reason I suggest this is because if someone has been with forumotion for a long time they are going to have a lot of content and if they decide to move to another site then all that content will be lost. There is the option to copy everything over to another site but that would take forever for larger sites. So I say make downloads available to the site owners. so if they ever do move they will not lose their hard work and time that they have invested. Other forum have this option so we need it here as well. Anyone agree?

Also make a backup your complete database and not just tables.

Last edited by StoneRaven on August 19th 2010, 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

StoneRaven
Forumember

Male Posts : 142
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion For Backup Downloads

Post by Saxaca on August 19th 2010, 9:44 pm

Yes. Pretty usefull for me, could even be used as an more "frequent" backup >.<

But i want this limitated to the Founder!

Saxaca
Forumember

Male Posts : 539
Language : Markup.

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneRaven on August 19th 2010, 9:50 pm

Yes Founder only. If you created the site you should have access to a back up download like on the other forum sites.

Last edited by StoneRaven on August 19th 2010, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

StoneRaven
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by terra-outlaw on August 19th 2010, 9:58 pm

yes of course !

terra-outlaw

Language : German / English

http://www.alfa-community.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneRaven on August 19th 2010, 11:17 pm

Keep this bumped up guys.

StoneRaven
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on August 20th 2010, 7:01 am

hi Hello I have some things to say :
1) You posted in the wrong sections TT You must post here

2) Your suggestion is the best suggestion of all suggestions but .... for us , not for Forumotion ! If you can download the backup , you can restore that in another host .... so, I don't think the Forumotion will never accept this suggestion ! I really want this option .... but .....

It would be nice if they would offer us access to the server to upload files on the server , of course we paying for space use . Laughing In this way we can host all the scripts and codes , which would make the pages load much faster mwii

Currently I abstain to vote ... Yet I think this suggestion will be rejected TT

Last Edit : I forgot to mention that this option will increase the illegalities of the Forumotion ! There will be many who will promote piracy or other illegal things , because they having a backup , they can restore the forums even after deleting ....

Regards ,
The God ( Alex ) Lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dumbledore27 on August 20th 2010, 8:18 am

The God wrote:hi Hello I have some things to say :
1) You posted in the wrong sections TT You must post here

2) Your suggestion is the best suggestion of all suggestions but .... for us , not for Forumotion ! If you can download the backup , you can restore that in another host .... so, I don't think the Forumotion will never accept this suggestion ! I really want this option .... but .....

It would be nice if they would offer us access to the server to upload files on the server , of course we paying for space use . Laughing In this way we can host all the scripts and codes , which would make the pages load much faster mwii

Currently I abstain to vote ... Yet I think this suggestion will be rejected TT

Last Edit : I forgot to mention that this option will increase the illegalities of the Forumotion ! There will be many who will promote piracy or other illegal things , because they having a backup , they can restore the forums even after deleting ....

Regards ,
The God ( Alex ) Lol
^^ Everything I wanted to say has already been said.
And last edit in The God's post is completely true :/
I wouldn't really like that option. And if I am not mistaken this has already been refused.

Dumbledore27
Forumember

Male Posts : 632
Language : Online
Location : Error 403 - You do not have the permission to view this item's value

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneRaven on August 20th 2010, 12:04 pm

To be honest regardless if a forum has been shut down or not someone can always go back and remake one with the same content. So the reasons you 2 rejected this makes no sense. I'm talking about if someone wanted to move to another server not if someone wanted to break the TOS. I have been with forumotion for years and have built up a huge site myself. But if I ever wanted to move to another server all those years would be lost. Kind of not really fair to the founder to spend all that time building up a site and not have the option to get a download of their site like all the other forums offer. You would think with this option that forumotion would get even more users, I mean what if someone has a forum on another server and wanted to move over to here. Do you see what I am getting at here. Not only will it help us founders but forumotion as well as far as getting new users. And if this has been refused in the past that just shows the insecurity of forumotion. This is my biggest peeve about forumotion and has made me wonder about if I made a mistake building on it. I mean they have excellent support, but the lack of some of the key features that the other forums have makes it less favorable. More so if the ideas are shot down because they are scared of someone actually having a copy of their own hard work. Anyone with a large database would be crazy not to vote yes on this one. Also if you abstain to vote then why did the no count go up to 2? You 2 are the only ones that didnt like the idea for some reason.

*EDIT*
Can a mod or admin please move this to the proper section since I posted in the wrong section?

StoneRaven
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on August 20th 2010, 12:24 pm

offff offf offfff affraid

So :
1) This suggestion will be rejected ... ( I have already said the main arguments )
2) This is a free services and have limitations ...
3) If you have a backup ( + databases ) you can restore your forum even after deleting , if you break the TOS ! Many people will continue to break the rules knowing that they can recover the forum ...
4) You have access to the backup using Utilities ( http://www.forumotion.com/en/utils/ )
***5) When you decided to have a forum , and you chose this service , you must imagine that something will be impossible Razz
***6) This is a phpBB component , if you restore your forum in other host , you can't install other components ....

I like your suggestion , but this will not happen ... TT

@StoneRaven wrote:I'm talking about if someone wanted to move to another server not if someone wanted to break the TOS.
Maybe you , but others ? This way everyone will eliminate footer , and will break all the rules ...

@StoneRaven wrote:Also if you abstain to vote then why did the no count go up to 2? You 2 are the only ones that didnt like the idea for some reason.
I do not know who voted Sad but I have not voted yet , watch a picture :

However I hope that in future we will have the option to host any type of file directly on the server (not just attachments and images in the gallery) ... There are free service that offers access to FTP server , but can not download the database, which I hope will happen in the future here Wink

Regards ,
The God ( Alex ) fufufu

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneRaven on August 20th 2010, 12:43 pm

When you decided to have a forum , and you chose this service , you must imagine that something will be impossible

Nothing is 100% impossible. It's just a matter of if someone will do it or not. There are ways to implement other mods and such to phpbb type forums if one just had access to the database. I should know I use to be a admin on another forum that was on another server that allowed access to the backend.

StoneRaven
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem on August 20th 2010, 12:48 pm

I'm afraid I'll be voting No as well Wink

You may have honourable intentions; most people out there probably don't. I know from experience that for some people, breaking the ToS is nothing more than a detail. I can talk for instance about a forum that was producing phone numbers of people without their consent, last I checked that forum had been deleted a bare 12 times. If that founder could have a full back-up of his forum, he'd go to another server and continue his illegal activity unpunished TT

Another, small, detail as to why I voted No: I'm more than satisfied with ForuMotion and their free and continued updates. If I moved out, I'd have to do it all myself, and that I do not have the time, knowledge or patience for TT

P.S: Voting No doesn't mean we're waging war agaisnt you, just that we don't think like you Wink

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on August 20th 2010, 12:57 pm

Hi,

Coincidentally, I agree with The God here.

Also, this has been refused several time in the past

@Caihlem wrote:P.S: Voting No doesn't mean we're waging war agaisnt you, just that we don't think like you Wink

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on August 20th 2010, 12:58 pm

@StoneRaven wrote:
Nothing is 100% impossible. It's just a matter of if someone will do it or not. There are ways to implement other mods and such to phpbb type forums if one just had access to the database..

It's 100% impossible because this option would disadvantage the Forumotion ! You can add other component via ftp , but you can't install them in your forum because the Forumotion deleted some functions of phpBB ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on August 20th 2010, 1:07 pm

The God wrote:
@StoneRaven wrote:
Nothing is 100% impossible. It's just a matter of if someone will do it or not. There are ways to implement other mods and such to phpbb type forums if one just had access to the database..

It's 100% impossible because this option would disadvantage the Forumotion ! You can add other component via ftp , but you can't install them in your forum because the Forumotion deleted some functions of phpBB ...

Not 100% accurate here Alex Wink

ForuMotion is a mix up of VBulliton, PHPBB2,3, InVision 2.0(I think 2.0 otherwise its 1.8.2), PunBB and ironically, a few lines of MyBB

hence the reason of the phpbb links; it's the copyright seeing as ForuMotion's base coding is based of true PHPBB. Wink

Wait right here for Caihlem's input, I'm sure he wants to add more info them me

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on August 20th 2010, 1:18 pm

@Darren1 wrote:
Not 100% accurate here Alex Wink

Maybe 90%

@Darren1 wrote:ForuMotion is a mix up of VBulliton, PHPBB2,3, InVision 2.0(I think 2.0 otherwise its 1.8.2), PunBB and ironically, a few lines of MyBB

Because of this , if you restore your forum on other host , you can't add other components etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on August 20th 2010, 1:26 pm

hehe doesn't matter right now.
The suggestion was refused before, and I just realised it's in the wrong section
Jeez, I must be really slow today

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneRaven on August 20th 2010, 2:03 pm

That's why I added the edit to get a mod or admin to move it. So many against this it's really sad that everyone is against learning to do things on their own. That's the main reason most dont want this. They may have to actually work and learn to do things to maintain a forum and god forbid that.

StoneRaven
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem on August 20th 2010, 2:07 pm

@Darren1 wrote:ForuMotion is a mix up of VBulliton, PHPBB2,3, InVision 2.0(I think 2.0 otherwise its 1.8.2), PunBB and ironically, a few lines of MyBB

hence the reason of the phpbb links; it's the copyright seeing as ForuMotion's base coding is based of true PHPBB. Wink

Wait right here for Caihlem's input, I'm sure he wants to add more info them me

I'd have said it differently I love you
ForuMotion's base line code was phpBB, or very very similar hence the (C). The other versions were simply grafted onto the original Smile

Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on August 20th 2010, 2:22 pm

Ive learned from the best Cal ... and boy have I had the time to do that

Darren1
Helper
Helper