The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post?

4 posters

Go down

how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post? Empty how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post?

Post by Diana September 15th 2010, 9:43 pm

I had a thread about it before but I couldn't find it so...
Anyway, how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post?
And the "trick" is that I want the group to be able to see only that subforum and nothing else.
I need to check the users' IPs before letting them into the rest of the forum.

And I've tried it several times - it's not as simple as changing the permissions.
When I have members ticked in other forums the usergroup automatically has the same permission.

I don't want to put all the other users into a group cause it'll take forever, I have about 1700 members. Or is there a way to put all the other users into a group together, not one by one?

Please please, somebody say something helpful cause I am so tired of banning the bad members who keep making new accounts or using other peoples' users.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286
Language : English

Back to top Go down

how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post? Empty Re: how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post?

Post by Adiex September 15th 2010, 10:16 pm

Hi,

Im sorry I dont really get you there. Do you mean to let certain group to be able to post in certain sub-forum while the rest of member can only able to read but can not post?

If that's you mean here I think it can simply done using forum permission. I mean you just create special usergroup for thoseyou want to allow access and posting on your sub-forum. Then modify this group permission to view,read,write and reply for this sub-forum while others has set to view and read only.

I'm sorry If I don't really answer your question there Smile
Adiex
Adiex
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1014
Language : er?

Back to top Go down

how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post? Empty Re: how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post?

Post by kirk September 15th 2010, 10:24 pm

Well all you do is create the sub forum then set the permissions for a group.
If it is only for new members, then you can have the forum set up to where you have to approve all new members first,(until your able to work out all embers in the groups you want) then for all new members place them in a group with only permissions to the sub forum.. once they post you can then move them in another group to have access to the rest of the forum.

It's the only way you are going to be able to do this.
As far as getting all your current members into a new group at once.. just have it as an open group and send out a news letter and place an announcement on the forum for all members to join the group.. then once the majority are in.. you can close the group and you and your staff will have to add the rest.

Then once that is done it will be easy to add any new members the way you want or in any groups you want them in.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana September 15th 2010, 11:40 pm

Gah, call me blonde, but, kirk, can you explain the first par of your post in... a more simple manner.

Here's what I've tried and how I want it:
A person signs up.
I, the administrator, activate the account.
And at the minute after I've activated it, the user has access to the whole forum.
What I want is a little subforum where the new members can be after I've activated them.
So, it's like, they sign up, I activate them and put them in a group that can only see that subforum. And once they've posted in there I'd remove them from the group and let them in the normal forum.

And I think that's what you, kirk, were telling me to do.

But what I don't understand is how to set the permission so that the usergroup - the one where I put the new member in once I've activated them - can only see that one subforum.

Let's say I have a subforum For New Members - the one that only new users should see cause they're in the usergroup.
And then I have a subforum For All Members - that is like the main forum then, for normal members.

See, when I go to set the usergroup's permissions in the For New Members then I can set them so that only the usergroup sees it and noone else.
But when I want to hide the For All Members subforum - set it hidden for new members - I can't.
Cause when I want to untick the "Read the topics" box for example, then I have to untick the Members' box first cause otherwise the box for the usergroup is ticked and greyed out. So basically that means my normal members won't be able to read the For All Members subforum either.

Or have I misunderstood the whole thing?

Just a pic for explanation:how do I make a subforum where only a certain usergroup can post? Allmyu
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Adiex September 16th 2010, 2:39 pm

Well I think there is pretty easy solution for your problem there. Its just needed little trick to make work.

first you need to create a new group and named it 'Active Member' or whatever. Then you need to move all your current member into this group. After that, make your default member group for new member only, that mean what left in your default member group is those are new member only.

Secondly, you need to set permission for your 'New user sub-forum' accessible for new member only. And set the other 'sub-forum for normal member' accessible with 'Active member' group.

Third, After the new user made a single post on New member sub-forum you can moved them manually into active member group.

I think it kinda pain to do if you got large community but I see no other solution for your problem there.

GL!
Adiex
Adiex
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1014
Language : er?

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana September 16th 2010, 2:55 pm

Yeah I know you can do it this way, but I was thinking maybe there is a more logical way to do it.
It's such a hassle adding them all one by one, as I said I have about 1700 members.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana September 17th 2010, 9:39 am

Okay, I guess I will be adding all of my current members to a group.
But I cannot think of anything for the new members to post about in the new subforum. Any ideas? If it is like an introduction subforum then what should I tell them to post about themselves?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket September 17th 2010, 9:42 am

Well, did you check our introduction thread on here? We have a few set of questions. You can use the same template.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana September 17th 2010, 9:43 am

Hm, can you post the link please?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket September 17th 2010, 9:44 am

Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana September 17th 2010, 10:02 am

Thanks! Is there a limit on how many members you can have in a group?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket September 17th 2010, 10:13 am

No there isn't.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana September 17th 2010, 12:01 pm

Okay, thanks for replies.
It's still not how I want it, though.

Is it possible to have a sub forum that only newly registered members can see?

Now I have a subforum that can be seen by new members and older ones. The new members can only see that, but I don't want the older members to see it.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket September 18th 2010, 8:51 pm

Well not really, unless they are all in different groups.

So make a group for Senior Members & Newbie Members based on posts.
Change the permissions for both the groups related to that single forum.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down