The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to extract a members name to call another page with it?

4 posters

Go down

How to extract a members name to call another page with it? Empty How to extract a members name to call another page with it?

Post by vpapadolias October 18th 2010, 4:37 pm

Hi, all..

i hope this has not already been covered. I have an astrology forum and i have an iframe in a widget in a portal page which calls upon another application i have on another server to create astrology charts.

What i want to do is create a database in that other server where each user can store his/her own charts. However in order to do that i need to call on the php code from the other server using a parameter like the member's name or something to access my database.

So my question is: Can i somehow retrieve the member's name in html in a widget in the forum? Or some other information which would be alike (say the email?)

Would appreciate any help...

Thanks in advance...
vpapadolias
Forumember

Language : English, Greek, German

http://newageastrology.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How to extract a members name to call another page with it? Empty Re: How to extract a members name to call another page with it?

Post by vpapadolias October 18th 2010, 4:39 pm

PS: A solution would be to make the user re-sign in in the other application storing his/her credentials, but i would want to do that. I wouldn't want the user to understand this is another site.
vpapadolias
Forumember

Back to top Go down

How to extract a members name to call another page with it? Empty Re: How to extract a members name to call another page with it?

Post by Sanket October 18th 2010, 6:54 pm

May I remind you that double/triple posting isn't tolerated unless separated by 24 hours (Use the edit button) Wink
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk October 18th 2010, 7:08 pm

If it requires access to forumotions data base then no.
Also php codes are not compatible with forumotion. i have seen some basic coding work before. but most likely will not work for what your asking.You would have to test it.
My guess is, it's going to ask you for something that requires access to forums data base. Then No it will not work.

You may be able to hook up a html page and have your other site in a iframe.So then it will just be the page of your other site right here on the forums and all info added would be on your server as it is now for your other site..
That is If your saying you have another site with your own server?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by vpapadolias October 18th 2010, 9:26 pm

Yes, i have already another site and another server. I'm not running PHP on forumotion, i know, it doesn't work. And i also know the database is off limits. I was hoping for a solution which does not include the database. A special keyword or something.
vpapadolias
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 18th 2010, 10:28 pm

Sorry there is no way.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by vpapadolias February 10th 2011, 12:49 pm

It's been some time and since i haven't found a way to substitute the user name with something else, maybe one of you guys has an advice.. Ok, i can't retrieve anything from the database, but how about a unique url? Is there a place in the forum where the url would be unique? I thought the profile would, but i wasn't. A url could also be a key for accessing my foreign server database...

Any ideas?
vpapadolias
Forumember

Back to top Go down