The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visitors

5 posters

Go down

Solved Visitors

Post by dough_be October 21st 2010, 9:46 pm

Orignal topic i started no longer exist. I did the "view all my topics" and it wasn't there. Wanted to see if i got any feedback from my update to the "topic"

Here is my delima. I want to have it to were when I put a individual in "Visitor" group they are only allowed to the forums for "visitors" , Someone said it could be done but I tried that with the forums , 1 by 1 , and when I uncheck the "members" box , I realized that then members couldn't read/view/reply to those forums.

So please can someone give me a tutorial on how to do this step by step.. I think im missing a step or adding one in.

Dough_Be

PS- Much apprecitated btw.

dough_be
dough_be

Male Posts : 24
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Visitors

Post by MrMario October 21st 2010, 9:49 pm

You just need to make a group for members which has access to the rest of the forums and have another group have account to certain forums.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by dough_be October 21st 2010, 9:55 pm

MrMario wrote:You just need to make a group for members which has access to the rest of the forums and have another group have account to certain forums.

Now I have a lot of forums in my "website" , now how do I go about doing that???

dough_be
dough_be

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario October 21st 2010, 10:05 pm

MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by dough_be October 21st 2010, 10:37 pm

I went to admin>general>catagories and forums>

Then I went to each forum seperately and went to "MOTIFY" them and clicked on PERMISSION tab.

Then it gave me a list of Moderators and Groups I created, and check marks in some box's and other box's were empty but all was shaded.

I unchecked members then checkmarked "vistors" , now the rest of the "MEMBERS" can not go into that forum to reply or even view it. Because I unchecked the box next to members. If i but the check mark next to members then all gets shaded and I can't put a check mark next to "visitors"

Hope this better clarifies my delima.
Thanks

dough_be
dough_be

Back to top Go down

Post by Agenda October 21st 2010, 10:58 pm

I know this will sound redundant, but you'll have to create another "Members" group. The default "members" permission field you're seeing represents ALL users on your site, no matter what usergroup they are under. I usually create an actual group labeled "Members" in order to send mass PMs to everyone rather than worry about e-mails. Its pretty useful for details classification as well.

Forumotion allows you to automatically assign registered users to a usergroup of your choosing. Create your official "members" group and then set it to automatically assign users at '0' posts. This way, new users will be instantly added when they register.

Next, go back to your forum permissions and then unselect your default "Members" group, but select your new, official "Members" group. Next, select your new "visitors" group and any other group you want to modify the permissions for.

That should have you all set. Very Happy
Agenda
Agenda
Forumember

Male Posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post by dough_be October 22nd 2010, 1:32 am

Wait, (Sorry for late reply) but you said make another "MEMBERS" group? affraid

I don't think I even made a group called "Members"

I was referring to members in general on the site.
dough_be
dough_be

Back to top Go down

Post by patiogardener October 22nd 2010, 2:25 am

If you want to do what you have said you want to do ie have a Visitors group separate from the Members group, then this is what you will have to do.

Do not use the Modify function in Categories & Forums for permissions, use the X/tick function to organise the permissions for each group. My forum has seven different groups. It is very easy to make new groups & makes it simple to run your forum.

You can set it up so that your Members group can have access to the Visitors' forums without the Visitors having access to the Members' forums.

It is all a matter of getting to know how to use the functions available to you in the Admin Panel.
patiogardener
patiogardener
Forumember

Female Posts : 351

http://apatiogarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dough_be October 22nd 2010, 5:51 am

joybells wrote:If you want to do what you have said you want to do ie have a Visitors group separate from the Members group, then this is what you will have to do.

Do not use the Modify function in Categories & Forums for permissions, use the X/tick function to organise the permissions for each group. My forum has seven different groups. It is very easy to make new groups & makes it simple to run your forum.

You can set it up so that your Members group can have access to the Visitors' forums without the Visitors having access to the Members' forums.

It is all a matter of getting to know how to use the functions available to you in the Admin Panel.

I have 19 forums and 4 catagories. Now what is this X/tick your talking about please clarify with a walkthrough on how you did it, i'd apprectiate it.

OR

Can you make it to were the Catagories are Members only and any forum in that catagory can't be accessed if you are a "Visitor".??
dough_be
dough_be

Back to top Go down

Post by patiogardener October 22nd 2010, 6:16 am

You cannot give permissions to a category, it has to be done for each forum within that category. Only having 19 forums will make it easier for you as each will have to be done individually. I believe I have run through this for someone else before. Smile

Go to your Admin Panel>General>Forum>Categories & forums>X/tick (this is the second icon in from the right in the forums' icons). Click on it & Advanced for each forum you want to change permissions.

You will see Guest & Members above a little row of boxes with a green tick, a red cross & a couple of small boxes. If you uncheck both the Guests & Members ticks, the boxes of the groups beneath will become grey & you will be able to check those which you wish to give your desired permissions to. Check Save for each forum permission changes.

You will easily get the hang of it once you have done one forum. Repeat for all your forums.
patiogardener
patiogardener
Forumember

Female Posts : 351

http://apatiogarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dough_be October 22nd 2010, 7:21 am

Okay, thanks for all your help joybells, Agenda, and MrMario

You can now "solve" this and lock it.

dough_be
dough_be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket October 22nd 2010, 8:11 am

Since this thread appears to be solved, I will lock this thread and mark it as solved.
Visitors  2j4t5a8

Sanket Smile

Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down