The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

+123
imperialgunnery
Kiekeboe
brij
WHITESABBATH
Plancker
MissLikeICare
Fred1000
Codyy
Gandalfar
Proteas
katarina
magnuse74
Keltic
brenda
BC Staff
psaras
adoz80
see you
Nico©
mcoy
MrMario
adminplpl
Kalliopi
Raziel21
danubius
sgeorge
Bokssha
Nomee
Saxaca
majky
Maki1
tihon4o
kcbban
lindamarie
Queen Julien
lillulu
vonbon
Honor
paor
randi.philleo
Paranormal Dawn
Asteroid35
Goldman26
Doctor Inferno
Shadow
BellaMay
Holyangel
Emma8432
SophieDophs
Mio-chan
Franchise
Cody!
shintre
TheListener_
LBDR
^Glyndwr^
matt_m
mulder_fbi
RAFAJulie
Master Marc
Blaster1
Evanbuddy16
TimV
jjaxd
Prizm
Sanket
Guruland
Darkwing
Yonni
STEELHED
DigitalCyanide
Firdous E. Bareen
th4nhc0n9
TM
Angi
Agenda
Bundy
Linkzeldafan4
rebstew
Tracian
Azuolas
Astrid Landsaat
disdreamer
endless013
esoterica
efbe
jhuggett
Rich Stone
alicia
JP Cloud
kirk
dark_wizzie
fredhoggin
Shikadi
Valerio
Diana
Parrot
livescore
Glad E Olah
Einsteinean
JCC1004
thames 300e
oggbad
Raptor@TDC
Violetstar
Made
Homemadelife
DebconLady
Kabbalien
Darren1
Pontifex
nguyenart
ivan137
wow99
Nina
patiogardener
baldy
Ras
leamarieuk
wildsurfer
Laughing Assassin
ifekt
maiquang
127 posters

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Important [Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

Post by maiquang November 10th 2010, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

I have a great time with the other members but Why advertisement column reappear.

Made an Only Topic

Typlo wrote:Dear user,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused, the ads are here to support our developers and the staff so we can offer you new features.

This is only a test for the moment. Wink

Latest Update:
Typlo wrote:We have taken into consideration your complaints, and due to popular demand we will add back the option "guests" in your admin panel.

So everything will be back to normal on your forums, but if you want to support us please keep the option as it is. Wink

We are sorry for the inconvenience, and will be studying new revenue ways for next year, the option Goldman26 mentioned on Page 10 seems a nice alternative.
maiquang
maiquang
Forumember

Male Posts : 199
Language : VN

Back to top Go down

Important Re: [Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

Post by Made November 10th 2010, 9:43 pm

Sorry Einsteinean but I don't think that's the best way to handle this. Should I tell my 4,000 members to clutter this thread pointlessly? Evil or Very Mad
Made
Made
Forumember

Female Posts : 180

Back to top Go down

Post by wow99 November 10th 2010, 9:43 pm

Violetstar wrote: m,embers understand that sometimes things happen,

That's not what we've been told. We've been told that they are testing these ads, not that it is an error or mistake.
wow99
Forumember

Language : a few

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia November 10th 2010, 9:46 pm

Well I don't need the stress. I have paid for 6 months removal of the ads, it's not that expensive.

hopefully when the 6 months are up this will be sorted out.

I am not prepared to jeopardise the well being of the members on my forum, they come first for me.
alicia
alicia
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Stone November 10th 2010, 9:48 pm

Several people have said that moderators / admin cannot see the ads. I can and I'm both!

Not only are these ads ruining the look of my forum, but it is likely to make members look at alternative forums as there are several in my particular field all cempeting for a captive audience and none have adverts of any description.

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned this before, but many of my forum members view the forum with smartphonws. Looking at my forum on my iPhone shows me nearly all of the initial page as an advert and no actual forum content! How rediculous is that?

I'm eagerly awaiting a fix on this like many others. Otherwise I might have to consider moving the whole thing elsewhere, which would be a shame as I've actively promoted Forumotion to others wanting to start up a forum with a solid support network...
Rich Stone
Rich Stone
Forumember

Male Posts : 53
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by wow99 November 10th 2010, 9:49 pm

alicia wrote:Well I don't need the stress. I have paid for 6 months removal of the ads, it's not that expensive.

Perhaps you could let us know how much it is?
wow99
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia November 10th 2010, 9:55 pm

Go to your admin panel, select Misc then select 'buy credits' . Select your payment option.

select your chosen currency (mine is pounds sterling) and then select 'validate'. The drop down menu tells you how much each block of credits is. ie 500 credits £3.95 (pounds sterling).

If you want to know what each block of credits will buy you then select 'use credits' from the menu on the top left.

Good luck.

you do not need to go any further if you do not want to buy credits at that point.
alicia
alicia
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Made November 10th 2010, 10:06 pm

Thanks, Alicia! I'll check that Smile
Made
Made
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 10th 2010, 10:08 pm

True, true. But if more people tell forumotion they're upset with the ads, maybe they'll work to get rid of them quicker. I'm not trying to start a riot, I'm trying to get things moving in the right direction (perhaps in the wrong way?)
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Male Posts : 60
Language : English, limited Latin

http://fujiplanet.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptor@TDC November 10th 2010, 10:08 pm

I just went to my page and a rapidly flashing a hot pink background came up. I was senior staff on a gaming site at one time that had to change their graphics due to people who played there being prone to seizures.

My biggest fear is someone will unknowingly open one of our pages and be thrown into a seizure due to the flashing ads. :-(
Raptor@TDC
Raptor@TDC

Male Posts : 14

http://debatecenter.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 10th 2010, 10:10 pm

Alright, I have told our members to disregard the PM I sent telling them to come and make noise.
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Made November 10th 2010, 10:11 pm

Einsteinean wrote:True, true. But if more people tell forumotion they're upset with the ads, maybe they'll work to get rid of them quicker. I'm not trying to start a riot, I'm trying to get things moving in the right direction (perhaps in the wrong way?)

Right direction, wrong way, that sounds better, lol.

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 4 Great10
Made
Made
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by jhuggett November 10th 2010, 10:18 pm

I just went to check on pricing for having the ads removed and they now have two options. To remove them for registered users and another set of pricing for removing them for guests as well.

This tells me this isn't a test and is how it's going to be from now on.
jhuggett

Language : en

Back to top Go down

Post by patiogardener November 10th 2010, 10:21 pm

There is a problem with that as at least one person has stated that they are getting the ads even though they had previously paid for their removal. It is not all that expensive to pay for ad removal. $AUS15, $US15 or 9.9 euros for a year but that is not the point. I was even getting ads in my admin panel & I am the only one with that access.

When I checked again this morning I found that all the ad options had disappeared. Later they reappeared but only with the option to check either All or Members & Guests without the Guest only option. Also found that the new option for "Reduce the number of displays for image advertisements" had been changed from Yes back to No. I hadn't done this. Our "Adjust time" had also been altered from Summer time (which we are on) back to Winter time!?!?

We are concerned because Forumotion usually notifies us of any changes but this time we have all been left in the dark & are thoroughly perplexed. Especially due to the suddenness of all of this.
patiogardener
patiogardener
Forumember

Female Posts : 351

http://apatiogarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe November 10th 2010, 10:26 pm

So in the last week, forums have gone from text type google adverts to flashing banners and the option not to have flash banners removed. Now we have the guests only option for adverts removed. No pre-warnings from Forumotion.

The way this has been handled is very amateurish indeed.
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Male Posts : 455
Language : english

http://www.chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 10th 2010, 10:28 pm

jhuggett wrote:I just went to check on pricing for having the ads removed and they now have two options. To remove them for registered users and another set of pricing for removing them for guests as well.

This tells me this isn't a test and is how it's going to be from now on.

I would have to agree. I wish I had founder access, as our founder is almost never one.

joybells wrote:There is a problem with that as at least one person has stated that they are getting the ads even though they had previously paid for their removal. It is not all that expensive to pay for ad removal. $AUS15, $US15 or 9.9 euros for a year but that is not the point. I was even getting ads in my admin panel & I am the only one with that access.

When I checked again this morning I found that all the ad options had disappeared. Later they reappeared but only with the option to check either All or Members & Guests without the Guest only option. Also found that the new option for "Reduce the number of displays for image advertisements" had been changed from Yes back to No. I hadn't done this. Our "Adjust time" had also been altered from Summer time (which we are on) back to Winter time!?!?

We are concerned because Forumotion usually notifies us of any changes but this time we have all been left in the dark & are thoroughly perplexed. Especially due to the suddenness of all of this.

The Eastern Time Zone of the US is in Winter Time now, so that isn't a problem for me. I think your last paragraph joybells sums this up in the best 2.5 lines possible. Nice job.
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by patiogardener November 10th 2010, 10:34 pm

Thanks Einsteinean, Smile What concerned me about the time zone change is how many of my other settings have been altered??
patiogardener
patiogardener
Forumember

Female Posts : 351

http://apatiogarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 10th 2010, 10:42 pm

I reviewed my entire settings and they were normal. I don't know if this is universal, but nothing else was changed.

Call me Ein, btw.

Last edited by Einsteinean on November 10th 2010, 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptor@TDC November 10th 2010, 10:42 pm

If this was done as a "scare tactic" to get several site owners to pay before taking it down and declaring "test over," then it is certainly accomplishing that.

I'm not paying anything - at least not until this is explained and addressed. I chose Forumotion over other hosting services for my new site due to the clean look of their boards. If they go forward with installing mandatory ads without so much as allowing us any options on the type and placement, then I will have to rethink my decision.

I'm going to wait and see how this plays out before doing anything rash.

Last edited by Raptor@TDC on November 10th 2010, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptor@TDC
Raptor@TDC

Male Posts : 14

http://debatecenter.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 10th 2010, 10:45 pm

I agree, that is probably the best thing to do. Wait and see.
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by esoterica November 10th 2010, 10:47 pm

I'm curious if I have the option to have my forum exported so that I can take it to another host?
I left a forum host previously because they thought they had the right to start doing things on my site and spamming my members without my permission.
If I had received notification that things would be changing on Forumotion, I could have assessed my options and acted before it affected my members, but this didn't occur.
I do feel that this has been handled quite poorly.
We need a clear answer as to if the change with ads is permanent, as well as to if paying to remove them will actually work as some reports state that it isn't working.
I would also like to know if Forumotion plan to start surprising us with other offensive invasions of our communities and trust?
Regardless of how this ends, the people who have supported your forum hosting service, through paying, promotion and/or use, really do deserve an apology for having this done to them without warning, followed by a terrible lack of clear and concise response to questions.
I came to Forumotion due to their wonderful response to clients and respect for all their client's members... I hope it will continue despite this hiccup... although if I have to simply close my forum and start again, I will.
I will not stay with a host I feel is bullying me with their business practices.
esoterica

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana November 10th 2010, 10:49 pm

Raptor@TDC wrote:
If this was done as a "scare tactic" to get several site owners to pay before taking it down and declaring "test over," then it is certainly accomplishing that.

I'm not paying anything - at least not until this is explained and addressed.
I'm going to wait and see how this plays out before doing anything rash.
Ditto.

I'd like to know about exporting aswell.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post by wow99 November 10th 2010, 10:53 pm

It's £7.90 apparently to remove the ads for members (not bothered about guests) for a year.
wow99
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabbalien November 10th 2010, 11:01 pm

Right, I see the end of this story !!!
We are all going to agree in pay to remove the adds , wish is the main reason FM start all this.

A game well played FM but if I have to pay to remove the adds, I will move all members to another forum and start from scratch (wish is something advised by experts, when you want make things fresh again)

I will not pay for remove adds and I want my forum as it was.
PEOPLE, DO NOT BE SUBMISSIVE !
We just want back what was taken from us.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Kabbalien
Kabbalien
Forumember

Male Posts : 179
Language : English / Portugues / Brazilian / Spanish

http://trancemoon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wow99 November 10th 2010, 11:05 pm

Is anyone interested in setting up a facebook group to discuss things?
wow99
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 10th 2010, 11:09 pm

Like I've said, if it goes back to normal, I'll pay to have the ads removed for guests. However, I am not willing to pay to have them removed for members. However, someone on my forum said that Forumotion won't allow us to move because they don't allow us to download the forum database. I don't know if this is the truth, but if it is, we're screwed.

I am willing to get a Facebook account to discuss this. I don't have one right now, but this is good enough reason to get one.
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by endless013 November 10th 2010, 11:13 pm

Einsteinean wrote:However, someone on my forum said that Forumotion won't allow us to move because they don't allow us to download the forum database. I don't know if this is the truth, but if it is, we're screwed.
its true and there are a ton of topics about it, come to think about it over the last couple years theres a ton of "why do I have ad's" topics too. The first one they wont do anything about, we'll never get the DB but the second should be fixed soon-ish
endless013
endless013
Forumember

Male Posts : 450

http://www.darkrealm13.com

Back to top Go down

Post by esoterica November 10th 2010, 11:15 pm

Forumotion have promised that exporting of the forum would be possible in the future, but then haven't enacted it.
I'll pay them to allow me to export the forum if it means I can avoid poor treatment in the future Sad
esoterica

Back to top Go down

Post by JP Cloud November 10th 2010, 11:16 pm

Einsteinean wrote: However, someone on my forum said that Forumotion won't allow us to move because they don't allow us to download the forum database. I don't know if this is the truth, but if it is, we're screwed..

The only option would be starting again and take the members over with us. I hope it doesnt come to this, as Forumotion has been good in the past but to have to leave over something like this would be a shame.
JP Cloud

Male Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk November 10th 2010, 11:31 pm

rhe wrote:Er. What am I supposed to think then when one person says it is a bug, then another says it's some sort of a test, then one says the ads are just to earn money and then you say everything is like it's supposed to be? When you say things are like they are when they clearly aren't then technically it is a lie.

And it is not my fault you're stressed out or busy because of your tests. And what will banning me give you? A chance to let off steam by being mean to someone? I am not here to offend anyone personally I want this thing to be like it was. You can ban me all you want but you're still in the wrong when you say things are like they have always been and I haven't said one bad thing about you whereas some other people have said things about you personally and it's okay. Seriously, don't overreact.

First thing.. what dose me having taken test have to with being stressed. i am not stressed about anything.. i was merely explaining that i only logged in before after not being on very long for the last few days and was not aware of the situation.. I mean just because i log in dose not mean i know everything that is going on at once. i am not a mind reader nor are staff miracle workers.

And my replies to the other post would have been the correct answer considering this problem was not taken place, to which i did not know it was at the time.

But what ever the case? I nor any other staff will not tolerate someone calling me/staff out and saying we're liars..

Plus even if was not directed at me,I would not tolerate anyone saying this to any other staff member as well. We understand people are upset,but i have forumotion forums as well and am in the same boat.So i am also hoping everything is fixed and resolved ASAP as well.

@wow99 yeah ok ???
all bashing ,flaming stops now. anymore comments reflected to staff as bashing, disrespecting or starting a flam war, will be warned or banned from support.
Now that i am aware of the problem and i am sure all other staff are by now. let us please stay on topic and focused on the issue/problem. disrespecting staff calling them/me liars etc.. will not help resolve anything.
Thank you

I will message typlo and luky.
When we know something it will be posted.
As far as merging the other threads.. they are locked with the link to continue over here.

Last edited by kirk on November 11th 2010, 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by disdreamer November 10th 2010, 11:55 pm

Both my forums are geared towards kids and there is now what I feel inappropricate ads being shown to my members. I try to keep a very safe forum for all and really want to keep it that way. Can't we go back to choosing who see the ads and who don't. We no longer can just set it to guests, it's now members and guests.
disdreamer
disdreamer
Forumember

Female Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next