The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help!!!!

4 posters

Go down

Need help!!!! Empty Need help!!!!

Post by Kain Reaver November 28th 2010, 3:01 am

I have a possible security threat to my forum site. I'm continuously seeing a guest from Japan hack into my site and access forums that are not accessible to guests. I've managed to ban multiple IP addresses from Japan, but there's got to be a way where I can block ALL IP addresses from that domain. How can this be done? Is there a forumotion administrator that can help me find a solution to prevent my site from being breached? I REALLY REALLY need help and would appreciate immediate assistance!

Thanks!

- Kain
Kain Reaver

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Need help!!!! Empty Re: Need help!!!!

Post by Kain Reaver November 28th 2010, 3:16 am

Yes I have done that with just about every forum except for the ones I do want guests to access. The ones that are NOT accessible to guests have been viewed by someone in Japan who is not a registered user on my site. This should not happen according to other topics here in the support forum, but it has happened.
Kain Reaver

Back to top Go down

Post by YanOri November 28th 2010, 3:53 am

Kain Reaver wrote:Yes I have done that with just about every forum except for the ones I do want guests to access. The ones that are NOT accessible to guests have been viewed by someone in Japan who is not a registered user on my site. This should not happen according to other topics here in the support forum, but it has happened.

as a guest, are you able to view the forums you've blocked ?
YanOri
YanOri
Forumember

Male Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Kain Reaver November 28th 2010, 4:02 am

I have tried that option, and no, I cannot access guest-restricted forums as a guest.
Kain Reaver

Back to top Go down

Post by YanOri November 28th 2010, 4:04 am

ok, how do you know the guest from japan is accessing those forums ?
have he made any posts in the restricted areas ? or has he threatened you of something like that ?
YanOri
YanOri
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kain Reaver November 28th 2010, 4:14 am

Dimon wrote:ok, how do you know the guest from japan is accessing those forums ?
have he made any posts in the restricted areas ? or has he threatened you of something like that ?

I have seen this guest from Japan visit my site several times over the past month or so, and I have been able to see wherever this person is in my site by viewing the "who is online" section in the ACP home. It displayed that the guest from Japan was viewing a forum not accessible to guests. I clicked on the IP address and was taken to ipgetinfo.com and that's where I was able to find out they are from Japan. I've seen this happen several times and I keep blocking the IP addresses, but it continues to happen frequently. I'm constantly checking my site for guests from Japan and if guests are accessing member-accessible forums.
Kain Reaver

Back to top Go down

Post by YanOri November 28th 2010, 4:19 am

since he is not able to post anything or such, you only have to rely on the "who is online" list.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or some other problem.
Lets wait for an official answer though, i would recommend you to check the permissions again though as i don't find this a common issue
YanOri
YanOri
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kain Reaver November 28th 2010, 4:24 am

I'm checking the permissions as we speak for anything I may have missed, however, the forums that were accessed are restricted for sure. But I'm checking them again.

Thanks for your help. I'll be waiting for an official response concerning this.
Kain Reaver

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 November 28th 2010, 4:53 am

Hi,

It seems like you want to ban an IP Range.
Caution: Doing this could restrict legit users who have their IP as part of the range you ban, consider this before saving the ban, it could be banning users from a different country a well.

When you ban an IP, change the last new numbers to *.
Example: 158.981.*.* (or if you rather ban anyone with the IP starting with 158 do 158.*.*.* )
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Kain Reaver November 28th 2010, 4:55 am

That may do it. I'll give that a try but I'll still wait for official help. Thanks for that Darren.
Kain Reaver

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy November 28th 2010, 10:11 am

I'm not really sure, but this sometimes happen on my test forum, even if I restrict all of my forums to the guests, a guest comes and views some part of the hidden forums, but it doesn't really hurt to the forum, it may just a spider/engine bot.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Kain Reaver November 28th 2010, 10:15 am

True, but anyone not registered to the site shouldn't be allowed to breach that security. I've tried out the IP range as suggested above so I'll keep watch and see how well that does.
Kain Reaver

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum