The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Same person keeps joining my forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Same person keeps joining my forum?

Post by bob8972 on December 5th 2010, 4:15 pm

I don't know if it is true or not, but recently for no reason, a LOT of people have been joining my forum. I'm pretty sure it's the same person because with every new user, the e-mail is always from France, and the user puts it's location as a bunch of random letters (Ex. jidjdijfdsofjdiog). However, I don't know the IP of the user because he is not making a post on any of the accounts made.

Is there a way to ban this persons IP without having him make a post?

bob8972
Forumember

Male Posts : 460
Language : English

http://gamingforum.free-message-board.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Same person keeps joining my forum?

Post by Tilum on December 5th 2010, 4:16 pm

No, you can only see his IP when he is on-line or if he posts. If he is causing that much trouble. Put account activation onto User or Admin.

~ Tilum

Tilum
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1759

Back to top Go down

Post by bob8972 on December 5th 2010, 4:31 pm

Thanks!

Problem Solved.

bob8972
Forumember

Male Posts : 460

http://gamingforum.free-message-board.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilum on December 5th 2010, 4:33 pm

No problem Smile

Tilum
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BearvilleLuvas on December 5th 2010, 4:53 pm

If they keep joinig i would ban there ip adress for. so in so

BearvilleLuvas

Language : english
Location : DUUUUUUH the world! what do you think i am? an alien... " 5 horus later" bleep bloop XD

http://bearvilleluvas.forummotion.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilum on December 5th 2010, 4:55 pm

Try reading the question.

~ Tilum

Tilum
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BearvilleLuvas on December 9th 2010, 12:09 am

Ohhh. umm i'm not sure. if there was a button that showed all members with a box beside it and there was a button saying " ban members marked" that would work. but they don't have one Sad

BearvilleLuvas

Language : english
Location : DUUUUUUH the world! what do you think i am? an alien... " 5 horus later" bleep bloop XD

http://bearvilleluvas.forummotion.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DigitalCyanide on December 9th 2010, 2:49 am

You can ban an IP and that person will not be able to gain access to your forum again. Period!
But, it's not that hard to reset an IP right from the modem. Or, the person can simply call their ISP and request a new IP. All they have to say is the modem isn't functioning properly, request a new modem with an entire new passport, and presto, they have a whole new IP and ISP address.
Another issue, more then one computer running off the same modem can display a different IP. So, say you have a modem that allows 4 computers, you can actually have 4 different IP's if you know how to set it up right. This is a good precaution when you have more then one person using computers. Not when you have trouble makers. They can just log to a new pc in the house and keep on with the crap.
Use the IP, go online and figure out what provider ( all IP's have a specific number for that actual ISP ( Internet Service Provider )). Report them.
This falls under the whole "Cyber Bullying" issue.

DigitalCyanide
Forumember

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Neurotoxus on December 9th 2010, 3:32 am

That doesn't always work, Digital. There's a lot of people who prefer to use some kind of different IP, which enables them to join no matter what.

Even if it wasn't fake info, it still wouldn't work if the user was IP banned.

Neurotoxus
Forumember

Male Posts : 59

http://ntgamers.darkbb.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on December 9th 2010, 5:06 am

if you set up a proxy then you can get around bans and keep joining.

They best thing would be to do what was mentioned above. set the acp for admins to activate the accounts.

Or you can always create a welcome board to where your members must introduce there self first to gain access to the rest of the forum. this way you can always check ip's and if you have a member creating multiple accounts you will know what ip or other users the same ip is coming from.

That being said. i know the post was marked solved. but since i have mentioned that i will leave it open a lil longer incase anyone has a question for that.

But it's pretty simple. you create a group called members, then have it set for the members to be auto added to the group after making one post.
then set all your forums permissions for the new members group and all other groups accordingly how you want it set.

there are even scripts you can find that you can add to your forum and it would block anyone useing anonymous proxies or ip changers.. but you get someone that knows there stuff there is always a ways around things like that to. it's all part of the geme... Wink

info added

shiii Tilum got's some skills he may know a few ways or scripts out there to help prevent stuff like ip changers or anonymous proxies.. damn hacker... hahaha just kidding.

but Tilum dose have some skills,
i'll see if i can dig something up, i just seen a few things like that a couple months ago.

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum