The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Member login problem.

3 posters

Go down

Member login problem. Empty Member login problem.

Post by Biker December 6th 2010, 5:27 pm

A problem with one member of my forum occured today.
Even though he logs in, and shows his name in the connencted members he can't write in any category and only has permission to see some forums open to guests.
I told him to clean the browser for cookies but nothing happened. Then i synchronized both him and the forum but no luck again. As a final solution i told him that i would change hiw log in password with a new one but again nothing happened.

I should also tell you that i checked the members permissions and i found them to be the same as any other member.

What can i do to solve this problem?
Biker
Forumember

Male Posts : 96
Language : greek

http://www.mototrail.net

Back to top Go down

Member login problem. Empty Re: Member login problem.

Post by Guest December 6th 2010, 5:29 pm

Try tell him to clear the forum cookies (:

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker December 6th 2010, 5:37 pm

I told him to clear all the cookies (of all the forums, passwords etc) in his PC and he did, but nothing happened.
Is there another place other than his browser tools that cleans the forum cookies?

Biker
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 6th 2010, 5:37 pm

What about another browser? (:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meepster December 6th 2010, 5:40 pm

Is it definitely just him, as a member, that cannot login? Otherwise, try what Gangstar said, and double check the permissions are correct. Try checking the Forums' permissions rather than the user permissions. Smile
Meepster
Meepster
Forumember

Female Posts : 29
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 6th 2010, 5:41 pm

be sure to tell him to make sure his computer and browswer are up to date as well. but even with different browsers i do not see why he would not have access if the permissions are set correctly. so be sure to check all permissions once again.

If you like you can try to put him in his own hidden group and set the permissions that way.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker December 6th 2010, 6:13 pm

The permissions are the same for all with "member" status. I checked with the members online at the moment and everything seems to be ok.They can view the hidden from guests forums and post in every category.
I called the member that can't log in, and told him to clean again all his cookies (and not only last weeks activity) and also to try with another browser.

I'll notify you if this works in order to lock the thread as solved.

Thanks for your help. Hope this works...
Biker
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 6th 2010, 6:26 pm

what is it telling him when he goes to log in?

May be try changing his pass, send him the new pass you changed it to then tell him he can changed the pass again once he is logged in.

if he is trying to log in and can not then it must be that it's coming up as him not adding the right user name pass combination or that the members dose not exist?????

So be sure to ask it when it is telling him when he goes to log in and if he can send you any screen shot of what is happening.

Or if you have contact with this person try creating a different account for him to see if he can log in that one.

you can always change user name,pass email address if you have to.. oh be sure he account he is trying to log in with is indeed activated as well

Last edited by kirk on December 6th 2010, 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker December 6th 2010, 6:51 pm

His account is activated. He is an active member of the community,with about 200 posts. He could log in last friday but could not today.

The problem is that both him and me can see his name in the members that are online at the moment. I see his name among the others members, and if i count members and guests he shows logged in as a member.

Other than that everything in his screen seems like he is not logged in. Like he is viewing the forum as a guest.

If his name was not in the logged in users i could figure something out, but it shows him logged in.

Biker
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 6th 2010, 11:30 pm

i dont know it dose not seem to make sense to me?
If everthing is the way you are saying then he is logged in, has he tried posting or sending a pm.. it just dont add up. you are not telling us what the problem is he is haveing, other then it seems he is in there like a guest? if he is logged in then he is not a guest? if he was not logged in or haveing problems when trying to log in then it would be telling him something like he is not providing the correct information when logging in?

try this
temporarily take away all the guest permissions and see if he has access then.

or better yet. change his pass and you log in the account and see what happens. you can always give him a new pass then let him change it once he is logged in.

oh what kind of operating system is he useing? windows,Linux mac?

do you allow members to log as being hidden? i might be logging in that way?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker December 7th 2010, 1:39 am

Exactly! He looks like he is logged in, but can not see hidden forums, and can't write posts or send a p.m. He is not having another problem other that he canot write a post or send a p.m or have the right to see the hidden from guests forums.

Now what we have done:
1.I synchronized him
2. I synchronized the forum
3. I changed his password
4. I triple checked permissions of the forum
5. He cleared all his browser cookies (he uses chrome)

None of the above worked...

He never tried to log in as hidden user, and the member that log in that way had no problem

In the end i told him to download firefox or use the preistalled IE (his P.C is running windows7).
He tried with IE and managed to log in properly an write post (in a thread i have opened earlier to ask the other members if they are experiencing the same problem) and answer to my p.m.

By the way, none of the other members that were online at that time experienced any problem whatsoever.

Though he can log in now (using IE) the problem with chrome still remains.
Can it be a bug in the specific browser? I don't know...

Practically the problem is solved. I told him to reinstall chrome or continue using IE, but i don't think that this is a proper solution.

Anyway, thanks for all your advises. They helped me figure out where to look first. thumleft
Hope this won't bother any of my members again.
Biker
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 7th 2010, 3:18 am

some browsers will show certain things one way another browser may not.
or in a lot of cases things like music players,video players might not show up on something like IE but show on all others.. (just one example.) out of many. it all depends on coding and if a browser is going to read recognize it.

but as far as this problem this member is haveing. i do not see what would make a browswer do that. but i guess anything can be posibil.

I'll leave this open a Lil longer just to make sure everything is alright
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum