The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about chaning default rules to own

4 posters

Go down

Question about chaning default rules to own Empty Question about chaning default rules to own

Post by Diana December 8th 2010, 11:43 pm

https://help.forumotion.com/tricks-tips-f32/changing-the-default-rules-to-your-own-t52766.htm
How do I change the "I agree..." and the "I don't agre..." bits? I put my own rules there but the agree link says "I am at least 13 years or above...". I want to change that cause I don't want the age to be there. And I think if there is no age limit on forums that are in english then I shouldn't have the limit on my forum either.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Question about chaning default rules to own Empty Re: Question about chaning default rules to own

Post by Guest December 9th 2010, 12:07 am

In the "agreement" template find:
Code:
{AGREE_OVER_13}
Replace it with what you want (:

Back to top Go down

Question about chaning default rules to own Empty Re: Question about chaning default rules to own

Post by kirk December 9th 2010, 5:48 am

Um actually you can add additional rules, but the forumotion and the age thing has to stay.. because forumotion is a free forum host for the public. So you cant make your forum for adults 18 or older. and by law you have to be at least the age of thirteen to join a forumotion forum. which is the same age for a lot of free hosting sites.. i believe myspace,facebook just about all sites.

Of course unless it's an a adult site that is only for adults and mature content of those 18 years or older.

So i am not a 100% sure if you cant take that, but i do know you can add your own set of rules in there as long as it would be nothing that would conflict with or violate forumotions TOS.

what did you want to change it to say?

And you said there is no age limit on the English forums?
I'll have to look into this because i know you have to be atleast of the age of thirteen to join.
And like i said this is pretty much the law for all public free sites.. it's pretty much a international law if i remember correctly.

unless it's like some country that dose not follow international computer laws??

Yeah i will have to send this to typlos office or try to pm luky.
Because it may be something that comes with the skin and recall seeing many forums registrations that dose not say this.. so i would hold off on changing or taken out any of the age or forumotion thing until i can get an official answer..

I know this is also an older thing that was originally from the regular phpbb forums. and the paid versions as well..
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana December 9th 2010, 12:51 pm

These are the default rules in an english forum:
Question about chaning default rules to own Rule110

And these are the rules in my language:
Question about chaning default rules to own Rulee10
The first blue link says "I agree to these terms and am exactly 13 years old or above"

I would either take the age out or change it to 11.

My forum is for teenage girls and I have younger than 13 year olds on my forum.

Having said that though, if I could change the age in the link I would add to the rules that the forum is for underage girls and girls only.

Just checked it in Spanish and German and it doesn't state an age limit there either.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 9th 2010, 7:45 pm

11 year old's??

Ummm? i am not sure because you have to be at least thirteen to join a forumotion forum.

I think if they are there with a parent or have some sort of written permissions then it would be ok. but then you would have to confirm the information is true.

So i am not sure, this is something typlo would have to answer.

But i would think it would be in violation if you are allowing 11 year olds join your forum without being accompanied by a parent.

See i actually created a forum for my niece when she was only ten.
But my sister runs it along with other parents that all know each other,
they will not and do not allow anyone they do not personally know or another parent can valch for.

Plus a couple of the parents are also law enforcement agents.

But having a forum for all girls that are thirteen and under that can go there and join out of the blue with out any parents knowledge or permissions.

That seems a lil odd to me and you dont know who would be registering.

And i am not saying that you are doing anything wrong or anything like that.

But there is a lot of creeps out there, so a open public place for children/girls under 13.. there is no telling what kind of people a site like that may attract..

so dunno. i think you will just have to keep them 13 and older since most international law requires persons to be 13 and up to join public sites such as forumotion and many other things.

And what ever they case. be sure you have good mods and are monitoring and moderating around the clock.
You have to be extra protective. and if see anyone that you think or feel may not belong, keep a records of all that is posted and dont hesitate to ban them.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana December 9th 2010, 8:55 pm

I have very strict rules and the girls have complaied but I won't budge.
I don't allow any kind of revealing of the identity - no names, places, schools, links to some other sites they're on.

And I keep reminding the girls not to reveal any information via pms either but I have stated that if they do so then it's their own responsibility.

The youngest member I know of is ten. But it was only one girl. And I check every user before letting them on the forum. And I have banned everyone who seem dodgy. There is one boy that I know of on the forum and he is quite active but I already told him that it is a girls' forum and if he's looking for a date he's not getting any. Plus, sending PMs is possible after 50 posts.

And to give me a very good reason to ban boys off the forum would be putting it into the rules. Now I know it doesn't mean the pervs won't sign up cause of it but the girls like boys and they would be pretty mad if I just randomly started banning them. Unfortunately the girls don't quite get it that it's for their own safety and good.

And why I think letting this young members on the forum is okay is cause we were on another forum before where I was a mod and there was absolutely no administration, no one to look after the young girls and to warn them not to give out any information. And it was an official website for young girls' magazine.
I understand that this server has it's own rules but I opened a thread a long time ago asking why it was possible to change the age on the profile to less than 13 when the rules state you have to be thirteen or older. And in that thread I said, to my defence, that I have asked about it and didn't get a warning or anything, so I hope nothing will happen to my forum.

Most girls on my forum are 14 and up but there are quite a few younger ones.

And the forum itself deals with teenage girls' problems. And I've also stated that whatever advice is given on the forum can be taken as support but not as the ultimate truth and if they have something serious going on with them they need to contact a professional care taker.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilum December 9th 2010, 9:42 pm

Kirk is right, (obviously).

It is international law that you have to be 13 years to join an internet group without parent permission.

Forumotion wouldn't make exceptions for this, however, i do believe it is in the 'grey section' of law. Its one thing saying that you are 13 year old girl wanting advice, it's another thing being one.

I know there are people on this forum under the age of 13. Youngest i have seen is 10.

For that reason; i would say that you cant change the age limit, but you don't have to remove accounts if they are under 13.

~ Tilum
Tilum
Tilum
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1759

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana December 9th 2010, 9:48 pm

Alright.

But why is it like that only in my language then and not for anyone else? I think it's a bit discriminative even if it's better that this particular rule is pointed out.

It's not the first time I hear of this rule but I just saw there was no age limit in other languages and figured it was okay for other nations to have members younger than 13.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilum December 9th 2010, 9:57 pm

We all have the rule that you have to be over 13.

~ Tilum
Tilum
Tilum
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1759

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana December 9th 2010, 11:32 pm

Where does it state it in your rules?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 10th 2010, 12:13 am

Weel it would be in violation if you change the age to to 11.
So you have to keep it at 13.. but here is thing with minors and even young preteen kids, so many have there own computers these days and if they want to join a site they will just lie.

But by you enforcing and keeping the rules that forumotion has in place stating you have to be at least thirteen to join, then if someone did lie then you cant be held responsible for someone lying about there age.

But now if you know they are underage and allowing them, that changes things and will show that you are allowing children under 13 years of age when it is not permitted. And god forbid if something awful were to happen, then you can be held responsible for allowing children under the age of thirteen on your site in the first place. you cant tell a 11 year old not to share personal information and if they do then it's their responsibility, they are just a child and not responsible such actions as that..And look at this way adults are manipulated and tricked into scams etc.. so kids are only human as well and could be more vulnerable to someone trying to trick them into something.

And once again, i do not know what your site is about or saying there is any harm being done.I believe your best interest is in their safety first.But they have the law that you must be 13 or over for a reason. dose that mean a 13 year old could not be in any danger from a predator.. no of course not, anyone of any age could put themselves in danger/harms-way if they are not responsible or just get mixed up with the wrong person online.
So the international community just came out with the age of thirteen, they have to have a age and draw the line somewhere.And at 13 you are now a teenager so it separates it from being a child any longer. even though they are still children in many others eyes.

So i mean it realy sucks for young children not be able to have a place to go on there own. but this day age and with computers there are just to many bad people that would lie pretend to be someone they are not just to try to get close and or bring harm to children or adults alike.

So i mean the first priority above all would be the safety of any persons.
With children first right at the top.

but you know you have kids on myspace, facebook stickam all kinds of sites they just lie. but any one of these places if they got a complaint or staff came a across a profile that you can clearly see they are just a child and not of the age 13. then their account would be banned and shut down.

there is one place.. i cant remember the name of.. but it's like a stickam video chat host to where they do allow children.. but they also have there own moderators go around and moderate all rooms.. so if they see any indications of something inappropriate,corrupt or harmful going on, whether it being someone in the room. or the persons account it's self, then they are gone.and depending on circumstances of what ever may occur,they will provide all info to the appropriate authorities.i cant remember the name of it. but they also have a section onlyfor adults as well.

But the point i am getting to other then that place is, Just about all free host such as forums,myspace,facebook most likely youtube etc.. all have to be of the age 13 or older.
Even paid host would have this in place as well.

So i really did not want this to turn into a full blown conversation, but the protection of children is and will always be priority number one.

My niece used to cry and get mad because her mommy would not let her go on the computer and talk to her friends etc.

That's why i sat down with my sister and said.. look we can create a place for her and her friends.. but you will have to get some parents involved as well and you to run and control the site and only allow kids and parents you know.

so thats what they did. two years latter they are still there and happy. and the parents put many different activities and other stuff for them to do and feel safe knowing it is them running the site and there are no outsiders. plus the kids still have their own accounts and own pm.. shit you have to give em some freedom.. lol

So thats that.. just keep it 13 or if there is another skin that dose not say that then go with that skin. but remember law requries all persons must be the age of thirteen or over to register.. unless supervised by a parent.

Is there anymore questions or points befor i lock this? I think all has be pretty much summed up.And do not want to leave this open to turn into a legal matters thread or discussion.
You know what i mean. i can see something like this on yahoo or something, pages and pages long with all sorts of points and opinions. so lets please rap it up here.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana December 10th 2010, 1:23 am

Okay, I won't change it.
And say I change everything to 13 but get to know someone is younger than that would I need to ban them?
Cause I really don't want to ban anyone that is on the forum already.

Would I be breaking the law if I had under 13 year olds on my forum and I knew about it and I'd let them be but in the rules I had that only 13 year olds or older ones can be on the forum?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket December 10th 2010, 7:54 am

Those are difficult questions.

See, to be honest no one knows if someone is a 13 year old or not. However, its your responsibility to not allow 13 year olds to join your forum as you had accepted the TOS. But, forumotion cannot really go onto every forum & investigate all these matters.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 10th 2010, 2:15 pm

yeah like sanket said they are difficult questions. And of course we are not lawyers, i am not telling you you have to ban anyone just keep the age at thirteen and be sure to keep an eye on anyone you think may be under thirteen.
Not only on their actions and what they do on the forum but others actions and what they may post or say.

i mean that can be like saying my sister and all the parents that run the forum i created for my niece and her frinds are breaking the law.
LOL when there are even some parents that are cops on there... lol
But i think if parents are involved then it changes things.

So anyway just keep it thirteen,and continue to monitor and moderate the forum fluently and you should be fine.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down