The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can a forum be private?

4 posters

Go down

Can a forum be private? Empty Can a forum be private?

Post by jbhaber December 19th 2010, 6:39 pm

I currently host a forum at Lefora. But they seem to be having problems, and support has disappeared over the last few weeks. I am the admin for my club's forum over there, and I like it because I can have the forum completely private, just for my members. It is supported by ads, but that's okay.

Can the forums here be set up in a similar way?

Also, I'm wondering if the forums here are really free. A lot of forum hosts boast about how there is no cost to establish a forum. But once you join (which you have done for free), then you find out there are charges.

I'm not opposed to fees. But I just want to know the deal before going too far.

Thanks all.

JB
jbhaber

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Can a forum be private? Empty Re: Can a forum be private?

Post by Agent24 December 19th 2010, 6:43 pm

Yes, you change the forum permissions so guests can't see them...General // Forum // Categories and Forums // Can a forum be private? Perms Permissions
Agent24
Agent24
Forumember

Male Posts : 813
Language : English, Spanish

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Blade December 19th 2010, 9:12 pm

jbhaber wrote:I currently host a forum at Lefora. But they seem to be having problems, and support has disappeared over the last few weeks. I am the admin for my club's forum over there, and I like it because I can have the forum completely private, just for my members. It is supported by ads, but that's okay.

Can the forums here be set up in a similar way?

Also, I'm wondering if the forums here are really free. A lot of forum hosts boast about how there is no cost to establish a forum. But once you join (which you have done for free), then you find out there are charges.

I'm not opposed to fees. But I just want to know the deal before going too far.

Thanks all.

JB
In addition to what Agent24 said - you may also make a group and give them exclusive access to the forum. For example, I made a forum which will only show when members make 1-post and are auto-subscribed to the group with permissions to view the board.

Next - yes, the forums are free. If you want more space than 20MB, a personalized domain name (without one of the .forumotion.com or 1forum.biz, etc. variables), or no ads for guests and members, then you have to pay a fee for those specialized services (or win a contest). Forumotion has been the best provider I've used so far, considering most forums charge money for many of the features that are provided free with Forumotion.
Star Blade
Star Blade
Forumember

Male Posts : 143
Language : English, French, HTML

http://creativitynetworks.team-forum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbhaber December 19th 2010, 11:11 pm

Thanks Agent and Star for your support.

Regarding the fees for space over 20MB ... can you point me to a page that states the fees?

See ... that's what I mean ... there ARE fees. This isn't a complaint or a criticism, I just need to know so that I can report to my all volunteer Board of Directors what the true picture will be down the road.
jbhaber

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Blade December 20th 2010, 1:56 am

jbhaber wrote:Thanks Agent and Star for your support.

Regarding the fees for space over 20MB ... can you point me to a page that states the fees?

See ... that's what I mean ... there ARE fees. This isn't a complaint or a criticism, I just need to know so that I can report to my all volunteer Board of Directors what the true picture will be down the road.
Go to your Administration Panel, then | Misc |, now look under Credits Management, and click "Spend Credits," then Storage. There you will see all the available options and corresponding payments required:

50 Mb : 591 Credits
100 Mb : 1182 Credits
200 Mb : 2364 Credits
300 Mb : 3545 Credits
500 Mb : 5909 Credits

And I may have used the wrong terminology, it is not a fee, but rather an additional service. There is nothing you are mandated to pay for. It is like joining an online MMORPG, and purchasing a membership. You don't have to, but it gives you "extra stuff." Which goes to say, you can make a terrific forum for free, with the existing 20MB and other preexisting services - or you can buy more.

If you wish to receive the prices in actual monetary terms, you may alternatively go to "Buy / Obtain Credits," instead of "Spend Credits." From there select PayPal and click validate. You will be redirected to a list of prices in various currencies - choose your currency.

In American dollars, the prices are as follows:
500 Credits ( 5.95 USD)
1000 Credits ( 11.90 USD)
2000 Credits ( 21.42 USD)
3000 Credits ( 30.94 USD)
4000 Credits ( 40.46 USD)
5000 Credits ( 49.98 )

With these credits you may purchase "No Ad's," "Additional Storage," and a "Personalized Domain Name."
Star Blade
Star Blade
Forumember

Male Posts : 143
Language : English, French, HTML

http://creativitynetworks.team-forum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by MarioBro December 20th 2010, 2:51 am

You Have Unlimted Posts,Bandwidth Its allways Free Ive seen people lock forum down so users are forced login then forbid new users from joining the forum
MarioBro
Forumember

Male Posts : 144

http://www.dsirage.com

Back to top Go down