The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Invision - How to adjust the avatar widget size?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Invision - How to adjust the avatar widget size?

Post by Guest on December 29th 2010, 4:50 pm

I am trying to figure out how to make the avatar on the widget display at its default size like it appears on phpBB3. I am using Invision. Any help?

Last edited by SPADEZ on January 2nd 2011, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Marked as solved)

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Invision - How to adjust the avatar widget size?

Post by kirk on December 29th 2010, 7:53 pm

what ever happen to the css you was doing in the other thread?
thanks alot man. i spent almost close to three hours on that last night breaking it down and was almost there. only to come back to get the css because i closed the wrong tab out. then guess what.

it was no longer the same css code. so you know you have to tell people when you are going to do something like that. i had the post marked as in progress at the time as well.

The thread is locked now because you did not have the courtesy to come back and let us know you changed the css that you had posted and no longer needed any help with it.

When a post is marked IN PROGRESS it means that a staff member is working on the problem.

So whatever no biggie it's behind and we move on.

@SPADEZ wrote:I am trying to figure out how to make the avatar on the widget display at its default size like it appears on phpBB3. I am using Invision. Any help?

I am not sure if you can. i think this might only be able to0 be done with phpbb3?
I am not even sure how they got it to work here? i have to try a few things.

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 12:57 am

@kirk wrote:what ever happen to the css you was doing in the other thread?
thanks alot man. i spent almost close to three hours on that last night breaking it down and was almost there. only to come back to get the css because i closed the wrong tab out. then guess what.

it was no longer the same css code. so you know you have to tell people when you are going to do something like that. i had the post marked as in progress at the time as well.

The thread is locked now because you did not have the courtesy to come back and let us know you changed the css that you had posted and no longer needed any help with it.

When a post is marked IN PROGRESS it means that a staff member is working on the problem.

So whatever no biggie it's behind and we move on.

@SPADEZ wrote:I am trying to figure out how to make the avatar on the widget display at its default size like it appears on phpBB3. I am using Invision. Any help?

I am not sure if you can. i think this might only be able to0 be done with phpbb3?
I am not even sure how they got it to work here? i have to try a few things.

Kirk.. My other topic about the CSS Color coding is still an issue, it was not resolved. I created this topic because it is a separate issue that I was trying to figure out with messing with my CSS. I didn't post that I didn't need help with the other topic anymore because I DO still need help with it. I thought the link to my CSS automatically update every time I made a change to it... I didn't know I had to keep providing a link to it whenever I made adjustments, however, I did specify every time I resolved one part of the color issues but then something else needed to be changed because it clashed. I explained further in a PM I just sent you.. As I stated, there was a clear misunderstanding. On both our parts.

I used tried to modify the avatar img to a default size on the widget as it appears on phpBB3, I had no luck with modifying the avatar img width & height. The width DID work, but the height for some reason did not. This is the code I tried to modify:
Code:

.avatar img {
    width: 50px;

}
I changed the width and added a height line to the code. This was the new code I tried:
Code:

.avatar img {
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;

}

That code did not work, but the width, did in fact change. I think I need to use a different value instead of %, perhaps px will work, I am going to try that now. The problem with using a set value is that if a users avatar is small by default, it will stretch the image to the set value and look ugly and lose quality..

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on December 31st 2010, 1:32 am

Your are talking about how the avatar shows here in the side bar/widgets right.

Yeah i am not even sure how to add that on phpbb3. i tried on my test forum and dint see anything for it, unless i am just overlooking something.

So i dont know if it will be posibil to add to invision or not.

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 4:20 am

This should work:
Code:
table .module .avatar {width: auto !important; height: auto; border: none;}
table .module .avatar img {width: auto !important; height: auto; max-width: 100px; max-height: 100px;}
Change max-width and max-height to the values you have set in the ACP for maximum avatar width/height.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 5:20 am

Hey Dion, that code you provided didn't work. However the code I mentioned above worked when I set the height and weight to "auto". The only problem with that is that the friends avatar pictures are also being shown in default size, but cut off, instead of smaller versions, it looks crazy. We need to figure out how we can make only the avatar on the widget be at auto size, without the friends list in the profile corrupting.

This is the code i used:

Code:
.avatar img {
    width: auto;
    height: auto;
}

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 8:24 am

Of course the CSS I provided won't work...you changed your test board from Invision to phpBB3!

Since you seem to change things so often that it negates the help people are trying to give you, I think I'll take a back seat and let you figure this out yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 9:22 am

@Dion wrote:Of course the CSS I provided won't work...you changed your test board from Invision to phpBB3!

Since you seem to change things so often that it negates the help people are trying to give you, I think I'll take a back seat and let you figure this out yourself.
Once again, another misunderstanding.. I am working with my real forum, not my test forum.
my real forum is www.The-EN.com, so yes I am working with Invision, not phpBB3. I set my test forum on phpBB3 to see if I can see how they modified the avatar widget to see if I can copy it over to Invision. So while your guys are providing great help yes, I am also trying to figure this out myself with you guys help. I do post updates on my progress so I am not negating the help I am receiving from this topic. In fact I appreciate the help I am receiving in here as most of the time I do not receive it at all.

Anyways, as I stated, the code didn't work, and I tested it on Invision, so idk why it didn't work unless another code was clashing with it. I removed all other "avatar" codes from my custom CSS and tried that in case another code was clashing. The avatar was still the same small size. The code I put worked when I set the W&H to "auto", however as I stated above, it also changed the friends pix below your avatar in your profile to their default sizes, but cut in half.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 3:02 pm

I don't really get what u r talking about Very Happy
but try this:
Code:

.box-content .avatar img {width: auto !important; height: auto; max-width: 100px; max-height: 100px;}

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 7:08 pm

OK, thanks for explaining. The CSS I originally gave you was for a widget in a portal. Here's the CSS for a widget on the right side of a forum:

Code:
#right .module .avatar {width: auto !important; height: auto; border: none;}
#right .module .avatar img {width: auto !important; height: auto; max-width: 100px; max-height: 100px;}
Change max-width and max-height to the values you have set in the ACP for maximum avatar width/height. If you change widgets to the left side, use #left instead of #right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 7:54 pm

Thanks Dion, that worked, and it didn't affect the friends images like the other code did. I guess that means I can't make the avatar widget on my portal appear the way I want it to without it affecting the friends list images?

If that's not possible, at least we got this far. Thanks for everyones help, this doesn't just help me, but others who wish to know the answer to this question. thumleft

*note: please don't lock this thread just yet until we figure out if its possible to adjust the portal avatar widget without it affecting other things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 31st 2010, 11:30 pm

I already answered your question about the portal...the CSS in the following post will work for the portal:

http://help.forumotion.com/-t83827.htm#541691

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on January 2nd 2011, 8:53 pm

Okay, thanks, my confusion came from another code that was adjusting the size of the friend images on users profiles. I wasn't sure if the code you gave me was doing that because I had your code and this code:
Code:
.avatar img {
    width: auto;
    height: auto;
}
on my custom CSS, but now I see the above code was causing that problem.

Thanks again for everyones help, this topic is now solved. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on January 3rd 2011, 6:53 am

Since this thread is marked solved, I will lock this thread.

Sanket Smile

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum