The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased.

4 posters

Go down

The one month expiry period on the extra personal gallery space purchased should be removed. Instead, it should be a permanent addition to your total available storage space and should accumulate as you purchase more space.

Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Left1193%Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Right11 93% 
[ 13 ]
Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Left117%Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Right11 7% 
[ 1 ]
Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Left110%Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Right11 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Empty Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased.

Post by TasV Sat Jan 08 2011, 13:35

'Why can't I add any images to my personal gallery?'

This is one of the most frequently fielded questions I get on my forum.

'Where have my photos gone'

This is the next most frequently fielded question.

People love to upload their photos to share and my membership is not internet savvy enough to use the servimg function and using photobucket, or some other image hosting service is beyond their capabilities. Telling me there are other services out there that do the same thing is not the point. I know there are. I have been running internet forums for 20 years dating back to the old first Bravenet forums. The personal gallery is quick and easy for people without much computer literacy or time but it also seems like it is 'bottomless money pit'.

As it stands the gallery function is not very useable. There is 20MB of space to service the whole membership. I have members that have uploaded nearly 100 photos on their own and even with a size cap on the uploads it doesn't take very long to fill up. When you spend the credits you have paid for to purchase extra space you can only access this for one month and then it expires along with all the images uploaded to this extra space during this time period. If you want them to stay you need to buy more space every month. This is pretty much what I mean by a bottomless pit of money and a poorly designed service. It's not like phone credit that runs out each month. People are uploading their photographs to share with the other forum members and deleting them only results in more broken links appearing on the forum and disgruntled forum members (and admins). I can tell my members to make sure they back their images up but this is not the point.

Advice given to me recently about why it is like this was that it was designed that way.. there's not much you can do about it... :/ Well... if the suggestions forums are at all taken seriously maybe the design can be tweaked.

My proposal is that when you purchase extra gallery space it is a permanent allocation of space that has no expiry date. As you buy more space it gets added onto what you already have. This page, https://www.forumotion.com/en/nature-and-escape/flora-garden-52.htm , on the forumotion web site has a list of forumotion forums, the first of which has a small camera icon whose alt text says 'Pro Gallery Enabled'. Maybe a new product can be designed that people can financially subscribe to called the 'Pro Gallery' which runs along these lines of cumulative space, because apparently at this time no such service exists. What I am not after is work arounds... I know them all... this is a design issue.
TasV
Forumember

Male Posts : 101
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Empty Re: Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased.

Post by TasV Wed Jan 26 2011, 06:12

Two votes??? Are you serious?
TasV
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased. Empty Re: Remove the one month expiry period on the extra gallery space purchased.

Post by TasV Thu Jan 27 2011, 11:29

Slowly creeping up... do people understand what I'm asking?
TasV
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem Fri Jan 28 2011, 10:56

Reading your suggestion, I was prepared to vote No. Nothing personal, but I generally start off with a No vote until persuaded the suggestion's actually worth a Yes vote.

As you might see, there's no No vote because I'm persuaded by your suggestion Smile
When the gallery was created, the techies had thought of it as a gadget for GFX. But, as its name implies, it was quickly used by users for other purposes. Extra space should be at least still availiable for show.

I agree with your concept, and hence my Yes vote Smile
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by TasV Sat Jan 29 2011, 21:23

Thankyou Caihlem. I appreciate the reply and support. There is, however, one no vote and I would appreciate any feedback, be it positve or negative as there may well be other issues I am not aware of affecting people's decisions. How many votes need to be accrued before a suggestion is taken seriously?
TasV
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Measha06 Mon Feb 07 2011, 23:00

I think your suggestion makes sound common sense and I would like to see it out into action. I am not sure with the 'bottomless pit' how you ensure space and images are not lost at the end of each month. How do you make sure nothing is lost and everything remains posted?
Measha06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy Thu Jan 02 2014, 17:44

Suggestion for your forum section clean up! (2/1/2014)

Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down