The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing?

4 posters

Go down

What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing? Empty What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing?

Post by TheListener_ January 18th 2011, 2:29 pm

This may sound a little stupid, but I've never understood how it works. What's the difference between these 2 options, found on Profile > Preferences?

Notify by mail when a new message has arrived in your in-box
Warn me of PM from a PM mailing

Moreover, what's PM mailing?

Thanks in advance.
TheListener_
Forumember

Language :

Back to top Go down

What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing? Empty Damn

Post by Invest January 18th 2011, 2:39 pm

Lost the admin pwd
Invest

Language : English

Back to top Go down

What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing? Empty E

Post by Invest January 18th 2011, 2:39 pm

Why didn't they put pwd in the email
Invest

Back to top Go down

What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing? Empty Re: What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing?

Post by Beno January 18th 2011, 10:20 pm

Invest, please start your own topic and read the rules of the forum here.
Beno
Beno
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3024

http://www.benwhitedesign.co.uk

Back to top Go down

What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing? Empty Re: What's the difference between PM's and PM mailing?

Post by Darren1 January 19th 2011, 2:30 am

Hey Buddeh,

I'm not sure if this is the exact answer, but heck, something is better then nothing isn't it?

• Notify by mail when a new message has arrived in your in-box => Email reminder
• Warn me of PM from a PM mailing => I think that's a pop up message?

Like I said, I'm not too sure, and yes those options are replicated by the other options, so I donno.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by TheListener_ January 19th 2011, 4:29 am

Hey Darren, been a long time! Razz

Well, I proposed a translation and it got changed today. Now instead of Warn me of PM from a PM mailing, we have Notify by email when an Administrator/Moderator sends me a Private Message. However, I made that proposal without really knowing what PM Mailing does... just guessed. But I think it's not the pop-up as you say, since that seems to be controlled by Display a pop-up window on new private messages. Very Happy

Maybe it's a wrong translation. The French and original one is M'avertir des MP provenant d'un mailing (Warn me of PM's which come from a mailing) and the description says Envoi un e-mail lorsqu'un message privé issu d'un envoi multiple vous est envoyé par l'administrateur du forum ou un modérateur (Send an e-mail when a PM is sent multiple times by the forum's administrator or a moderator), which could actually mean that? I'm unsure what it means by "envoi multiple". Maybe when you select several recipients? Mass PM's? What the freckles is a mailing?

Hopefully someone knows. Thanks for your help mate Very good
TheListener_
Forumember

Language :

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 20th 2011, 1:50 am

Yea, I just always figured they were doubling the notifications all this time Razz
Mailing I've noticed on FA tends to mean Emailing
envoi = Sending. Grammar mistake there much lol
Oh, thanks to google, Ive refined my French more lol
Mail = Email, just the 'E' tends to be dropped more often then not.
envoi multiple = Sending multiple = Warn me of multiple instances of a PM.
Example, ur Luky, u need to send a message to say, Beno, (member of both GMod & Gfx) Beno would be alerted that this was sent to both groups I think?

I've actually never tested that option >.<

I just need to ask, is ur French actually that fluent, or are you using a translator?

I hope this help out abit Smile
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by TheListener_ January 20th 2011, 2:06 am

Haha, je parle un petit Français. Mais non, ce ne est pas très bon Razz (Merci bcp, école!). Besides, French is really similar to Spanish, my mother tongue, so I just tend to 'guess' the meanings tongue

After I asked one of the techs, he said that it's (somehow) related with e-mails. Can't find the post now, seems to have gotten lost somewhere. But nobody seems to know for sure what it does! Razz

As for your guess, that sounds possible, but how exactly do we get notified? I have had that setting on for like forever and never gotten a popup, e-mail, PM, or anything like that.

bounce
TheListener_
Forumember

Language :

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 20th 2011, 2:15 am

We'd get notified by, as we call her 'round in Aussie, Snail mail....aka Australia post, as in mail box mail from the post man lol loove

I guess u asked Chapo, or Deculm?
Seeing as ur on better terms than myself with them, why don't you ask them to find out what it's supposed to do and save us both that time Razz
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by TheListener_ January 20th 2011, 2:23 am

The post man comes here. I have a complicated address rabbit But no, no PM mailing today. Just the usual, paybills and magazined nobody cares about, and that we didn't order.... perfect.

I asked both of them actually, and none of them really knew what it means. Guess it should be named "The myserious setting - Turn it on and see what happens!"

I'll try to ask again though. Will keep you posted Very Happy

___

Edit: Found the post!

hi,

"pm-mailing" == "Handle users" i think, this function send an email.

Regards,

What could that mean actually mwii You get notified by e-mail when you delete users massively? That makes sense!
TheListener_
Forumember

Language :

Back to top Go down