The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing user permissions

5 posters

Go down

Testing user permissions Empty Testing user permissions

Post by Syina February 7th 2011, 11:27 pm

Is there any way to actually test out a specific user's permissions?

I have admin access, so I never see what users or moderators see, or what options are available to them....I only know what they should/should not have access to. It would be nice if there were a way for me to view the forum with the user or moderator permissions so that I can verify it's what I want.
Syina

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Testing user permissions Empty Re: Testing user permissions

Post by Vlajki February 7th 2011, 11:28 pm

Create a new user called like Bot or Example or whatever you want. And if you want to see what do moderators see, add him to moderators group and check.
Vlajki
Vlajki
Forumember

Male Posts : 724
Language : Serbian & English

Back to top Go down

Post by Syina February 7th 2011, 11:32 pm

I thought of that, but was hoping to not have to do it that way. I had an old forum where I used to be able to click a "test user permissions" link in the ACP, and it would open a new tab with me "logged in" as that user - although without access to their PMs, and any posts i did there were dummy posts that didn't affect the actual live site. Nothing like that here, huh?
Syina

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlajki February 7th 2011, 11:43 pm

No, nothing like that :S
Vlajki
Vlajki
Forumember

Male Posts : 724
Language : Serbian & English

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 8th 2011, 4:23 am

Syina wrote:I thought of that, but was hoping to not have to do it that way. I had an old forum where I used to be able to click a "test user permissions" link in the ACP, and it would open a new tab with me "logged in" as that user - although without access to their PMs, and any posts i did there were dummy posts that didn't affect the actual live site. Nothing like that here, huh?

No.
I think that's an option on the paid phpbb3 boards from phpbb if i am not mistaken.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by russhim March 6th 2011, 4:20 pm

hi. im not sure this is actually a reply ... but ive been having a look round as something is bothering me about the security.

in the tutorial here it refers to this n that and user names for login .. but not board names (that i could find)

my Q.
IF your username is 2222 for ex .. and your email address is known by other people fred@whatever.com .. and maybee those using the forum .. eg. an old friend that may just want to mess up the board .. not life threatening but a pain ... all hes got to do is give my username 2222 offer my known email address fred@whatever.com .. and ask "please can you supply my password?" am i right? whatever way i see it .. if the other person has my email address he - she is 1/2 way to cracking the login.

is there a way to have a separate username on the board?
that would be logical.
then if such a offending person signs up to the board at least they would get a different name for the admin ... than the login name.?? Confused
russhim

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario March 6th 2011, 4:38 pm

russhim wrote:hi. im not sure this is actually a reply ... but ive been having a look round as something is bothering me about the security.

in the tutorial here it refers to this n that and user names for login .. but not board names (that i could find)

my Q.
IF your username is 2222 for ex .. and your email address is known by other people fred@whatever.com .. and maybee those using the forum .. eg. an old friend that may just want to mess up the board .. not life threatening but a pain ... all hes got to do is give my username 2222 offer my known email address fred@whatever.com .. and ask "please can you supply my password?" am i right? whatever way i see it .. if the other person has my email address he - she is 1/2 way to cracking the login.

is there a way to have a separate username on the board?
that would be logical.
then if such a offending person signs up to the board at least they would get a different name for the admin ... than the login name.?? Confused

Emails providers have questions/security rules to follow. So they aren't going to give a password reset to a random if they can't answer their questions.
Make a new account?
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by russhim March 6th 2011, 6:14 pm

mmm . maybee i havnt been in such a situation yet but several times lately ive had to ask for my password (because my list now is huge) .. but never had to answer any questions regarding passwords for my emails ... least i cant think of any.
ok .. thanks for your fast reply. ive decided on another strategy for now. wink wink. Wink
russhim

Language : english

Back to top Go down