The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting Up Tournaments

5 posters

Go down

Setting Up Tournaments Empty Setting Up Tournaments

Post by electro324 February 9th 2011, 12:50 am

Okay I am going to begin a tournament for XBOX Live and I have found tournament trees online like so attached.
If I want to change it up a bit and still be able to put it on my website without a scanner how would I do it?

OR

If I want to make my own and upload it how do i make one?
Hint: My tournament is for Black Ops, and it will be 4-man free for alls so I want to make a tree to match thatSetting Up Tournaments Regional%20Champion%20%28onsite%29%20tourney%20tree
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Male Posts : 73
Language : English

http://leslielfforum.forumrama.com

Back to top Go down

Setting Up Tournaments Empty Re: Setting Up Tournaments

Post by Mark84311 February 9th 2011, 1:39 am

Edit: Kirk
Link removed and warning put in place.

Help plss http://help.
Mark84311
Mark84311

Male Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket February 9th 2011, 5:29 am

electro, you will need to redo those images. Make a graphic request or do it yourself.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 February 10th 2011, 1:57 am

Sanket: I got the image from google as an example I need help on how to make one that I can edit and use on my website, with full image

Mark84311: Why do uu keep POSTING ON MY THREADS WITH A QUESTION??
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket February 10th 2011, 6:11 am

You can create such a graphic on a photo editing tool.

Or else, on word you can make this.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 10th 2011, 6:24 am

electro324 wrote:
Mark84311: Why do uu keep POSTING ON MY THREADS WITH A QUESTION??

Mark84311 is getting a warning for this.
i have told him yesterday and he had this in three threads i think.
So enough is enough.. it's rude to come in and step on someone else thread.

Warning in place for Mark84311 continuing to to post his link in others threads.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 February 11th 2011, 1:23 pm

wat kind becuz i dnt own a mac
and thank u kirk
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket February 13th 2011, 4:38 am

Adobe photoshop or paint or gimp. Whichever you know to use.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 February 15th 2011, 3:21 am

photoshop i guess but i just need help for a page not images really

and kirk where wuld i put this URL from podbean on my portal becuz i want it at the bottom
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 15th 2011, 7:48 am

For the podbean. just put it in a portal widget at the bottom.
or if your using punbb or phpbb you could always put it in the portal template.

As far as creating this thing at the top.
You should get Kompozer, i was using it for some stuff with the magazine, but now have dreamweaver and incorporating a lil both.
However, dreamweaver cost a fortune and is a lot of stuff to be learning,
To where you can get composer free and set up your tables among, adding your images links etc.. to get something like you are requesting.

I may be able to come up with a general outline of what you want with everything marked where you would need to add your content, but other then that,This is something that is general web page development for all you are requesting, so you would have to play around with it and perfect things as you go along.

But the good thing about Kompozer is that most is self explanatory and you will be able to create your layout tables you would need to do something like this.. but of course it will take time and you will have to understand the software a little bit before you can perfect it.

http://kompozer.net/

Unless someone else has a few ideas or suggestions,, i could probably think of a few ways of setting something up like this, but you would just have to try and go with whats best for you.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 February 16th 2011, 12:40 am

kirk do u mean me to create a new widget on my portal with the embed code?

also the tourney thing I want to place it where the calender is on my portal except on my tournament page All I need to know is how to write on it myself and put it back on the page?
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 23rd 2011, 9:37 am

Look at the size of this chart.

Setting Up Tournaments Regional%20Champion%20%28onsite%29%20tourney%20tree

what you are asking in all the pm you and are sending me may be possibility.
but i dont understand at all what you mean by setting it up in a portal or what you even want on your page of news and or what widgets would have to do with it????,

then what about this chart, you want all the info in them blocks and to be click-able and updated to.. sure you may be able to get that to.. but the updating part you going to have to add content manually, and even creating a chart on this scale and adding all the content links etc.. is a heaping load of work.

'So all i can say is explain everything once again.. because right when i think i understand what your asking, you throw me for a loop with this whole portal and widget thing.

i would just forget the portal and set the whole thing up on a html page.
But i mean sure we are support mods and here to help, but i do not understand anything about gaming and setting up torments like you are saying.

You should get together with your staff,come up with an outline and draft of what you want and how it will work, then may be we can help and suggest the best things to accomplish what it is your asking.

And go to the FAQ IN my sig and find everything about the portal, that will explain things and how to add your page of news as well, but i cant realy go out a limb here and try to begin to help until i fully understand or at least have a general out line how this whole tournament will work.

It seems to me that the whole thing would have to be something that you and your staff would have to be involved in to maintain and run the whole tournament???? dunno

But what ever the case it seems like it's a big project to put together.. and we do not do that here we can only suggest,help and guide you to the best of our abilities.

if i fully understood how the whole thing is supposed to play out,appear and work, then i am sure i can give you a few ideas and suggestions.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Xx Pwn3d xX February 23rd 2011, 1:14 pm

I think he wished to make a new link, which re-directs the page to the Tournament Table for people to view?
Xx Pwn3d xX
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 February 28th 2011, 1:15 pm

YES!! thats what I mean but the link would be that tournament tree but smaller size and the html page would have it enlarged with the names on it
but i don't mean an automatic update I'd just want to write on it and post it up myself
as for creating an html page would that be easier to make? or would it just be less trouble?

And is there anyone out there who does know about setting up tournaments? because I have no staff its just me working on this site
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 28th 2011, 8:34 pm

Well you know this would be a lof of work involved but could be done.

Fist you would have to get photoshop gimp or some kind of photoshoping software.

you are going to have to break the tree up and start puting them in as singel or double images depending.
then you will have to make tables for them alone with the placement of how the content will be in the tabe, to where you will add the image with the link included to the block.

it's hard to explain and will take a great deal of work. i will see if i can help with a couple examples but there is no way i can create this whole thing/page for you at this time, i just have to much stuff going on with my sites,school work and working on the magazine,

But i think i can still try to give a few examples to help, or at least break down this pic for you so you can get an understaning on what i mean, i am no exspert but i will try to expalin the best i can.

can you make a list to explain if each one of those boxes would be clickable and what they would go to.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 March 2nd 2011, 3:24 am

actually kirk its simpler than that
here's my first step to the page: the tournament tree at the top where the calender would be

1. add a tournament tree that doesn't even have to have names on it just a picture of it with words at the top saying click to see tournament tree

2. once they click it I'd like them to be taken to a html page where only the image would be of the tournament tree and how far it's gotten like if someone lost their named would be shaded in or crossed out, etc.

4. on the page with the tournament tree there would be no link to take them anywhere else just their gamertags in boxes of who they face, like a tournament goes you know

that's it I think people are making this more complicated than it sounds the only thing I think is hard is the page because ive never done one

apologies to kirk for the trouble he's going through on my part salut
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk March 10th 2011, 5:02 am

do you need all 15 of those blocks on the bottom.
thats going to be a pain hooking all the tables up for that.

I will make a little example with out all of those blocks on the bottom.

INFO ADDED

Here put this on a html page.
It's marked out in the code and in red in the blocks where your links would go.

Now with a lil more photoshop, you can cover those blocks and add new text for what you want it to say.

For the links, you could either use and invisible image. Of course you will have to size up the images big enough to cover the small area in the box,to ensure it will click when they hover over the box.

Now if you realy wanted to get into it.. you can do a color hover over on each box.
But that will take more photoshop.. and a lot of fine tuning to get them in the boxes perfect or near perfect.

So you have the general out line on how to go about this and things can be fine tuned and adjusted to your needs in this code.But thats about as much i will be able to help you with.. i just dont have the time to create this whole thing.

If you would like a couple more examples on how it would be with the click able boxes.. then i can set up a few examples.

But you dont even need a tree like this.. you can just use tables and have them set up how ever you want.

But in order for me to get that tree and the tables.. the tree is nothing but the background image, using a html back ground code rono created.

But the boxes, are all tables i created and placed over them as close and as best i could.
But you realy wont notice any of that if you do invisible images to have the click-able links/boxes.

But if you want them to highlight.. then yes that will take some adjusting and it still wont be perfect but close.

So check it out.
on the html page the red may be a little hard to see in the boxes.
But you can tell what goes where in the code, it's marked out in the table order.

Code:

</BR>
</BR>
</BR>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
  <title></title>
  <meta http-equiv="content-type"
 content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
  <meta name="author" content="rono/chazz">
  <meta name="description" content="My Custom Page">
</head>
<body
 style="background: transparent url(http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4432/newtreek.png) repeat fixed 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"
 alink="#000033" link="#000033" vlink="#000033">
<meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
 http-equiv="content-type">
<title></title>
<table
 style="width: 479px; height: 108px; text-align: left; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; color: red;"
 border="0">
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <td style="text-align: center; vertical-align: middle;"><big><big>

champion

</big></big></td>
    </tr>
  </tbody>
</table>
<br>
<table
 style="text-align: left; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; width: 590px; height: 141px;"
 border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <td
 style="vertical-align: middle; text-align: left; color: red;">

</td>
      <td
 style="text-align: right; vertical-align: middle; color: red;">

</td>
    </tr>
  </tbody>
</table>
<table
 style="width: 1104px; height: 123px; text-align: left; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;"
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <td
 style="text-align: center; vertical-align: middle; color: red;"><big>

s1

</big></td>
      <td

s2

</big></td>
      <td

s3

</big></td>
      <td

s4

</big></td>
    </tr>
  </tbody>
</table>
<br>
<table
 style="text-align: left; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; width: 862px; height: 108px;"
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <td style="text-align: center;"><span
 style="color: red;">

Q2

</span></td>
      <td style="text-align: center; color: red;">

Q3

</td>
      <td style="text-align: center; vertical-align: middle;"><span

Q4

</span></td>

Q5

</span></td>

Q6

</span></td>

Q8

</span></td>
    </tr>
  </tbody>
</table>
<h2></h2>
</body>
</html>

Prview no click-able links yet
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 March 10th 2011, 11:47 pm

ok thats a general idea and you're right i could just usee boxes but id have to that at the library with their photoshop but how would the work i did on photoshop be put on my site

and besides the tournament tree wat about the side images that link to the tournament
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk March 11th 2011, 1:28 am

well check it out.
i can photoshop some new images to go right over those boxes and you can add what ever text you need on them.

But i need to know what text is going on what boxes,
and what do you mean side images.. you will be able to click to what ever torment right from the box.

what ever text you have on the box a link can be added that will redirect you to the page of what the box says,

so I'll set up another example, and have some click-able dummy links in there.
I can try to add some hover to it, but am not going to go crazy perfecting it if it's going to take to long or be to much work.

so check back here in a bit. and i will have a new example up.

and as far as adding images on the side, well you may have to settle for a drop down menu that people can open and click to go else ware.

because that whole thing is set up with the tree just being a background image and the boxes are just tables added over them... yeah thats why some are a lil off set, but it wont matter because you will not even see that.

oh and whats the link to your forum, i mean if you going to go with something like this then i should at least try to make it look cool and go with your forum theme and colors a lil.
info added
what game are you playing?

anyway something like this would look better.
Jut have to add the test to the blocks and what ever links they are going to click to.

I am working on adding some dummy links now, and s1 i can move to the center more.

PREVIEW

Ok now this is the harder part.
you see the fist box with no number, mouse over that.
Now you will see a semi transparent image come up, that is your mouse over and you can click that to go to a blank page.( It will go to your links when ready/fished)

But now the hard part is getting it to line up in the box.
i am going to try to do it with spacer codes.

So i will try to do it that way, if not i will have to pm rono to see if he can suggest the best way to fine tune these images to fit in the boxes as best as possible. they may not all be 100% perfect,but will be damn close, if not perfect Smile i hope... lol

So then it will just be a matter of adding the text on the boxes and the links to where they are going to go.

it will be easy to change backgrounds you just have to make it with the text you want on the boxes, i will give you some blanks and can make a few different backgrounds.

because remember this grid is actually part of the background, it's just an image with the tables placed over them.. so yeah crazy shiat... hahah
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 March 15th 2011, 12:40 am

Here's the sitch. Lls:

- The link to my site is http://lesliesforum.forumrama.com/

- What I mean by side images is that when on the left hand side where like the recent posts widget is, there will the words "Current Tournament" and under it will be the image of the tournament going. If clicked, it will take the person to a page that will have all the details of the tournament (rules, game play, what to expect, etc). Under that will be "Upcoming Tournaments" which won't be up yet because I want to see how the first one runs.

- The game I am going to do first is Call of Duty: Black Ops for XBOX 360 and people have started to sign up on the site to register, so I'll have the names of the participants soon.

- As for the tournament tree, it can be small if you'd like but as long as the names are legible and you can see who has won the each match (such as an X or shade over those who have lost) and who moves on (their name being in the next space or box above them), I;m cool with that.

- On the right side, there will only be the names of the participants of the current tournament, NO LINK TO IT! Just their names in a list is all.

- I don't want posts I put on the forum to show up on the tournament page like it does on the portal. I want to be able to add individual posts to the page directly to that page somehow.

Then my page should be complete. As you can see on the site I already have the format out, just don't have the things on it yet.
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 March 19th 2011, 10:58 pm

ok when i posted it all that happened was that words appeared not a way to add he image and such so what now?
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 March 23rd 2011, 1:40 am

wat do u mean image link i don't have an image yet
can i get one frm google?
and what you mean tournament topic link?
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk March 23rd 2011, 2:21 am

i am lost?

I am going to take the in progress icon out of this thread because i dont know what he wants,
He wants something in the widgets that can be clicked to the pages,
well i dont see what the big problem is with that, all he has to do is get the images he wants,add the links to the pages, then set up the images in a row punting a line break <br> after each linked image.

So i tried to explain all i could to him with the widgets before,then i went on to this other project above because i thought he wanted something like that, and now back to widgets.

The bottom line is we are only here to help and guide members in the right direction or to make suggestions to better help them.We are not going to set up and or create the whole tournament ,plus there are no links provided or images to even give an example to how to set it up in a widget.. you dont even have the links or images to provide for us to even give you any examples.

To make things easy, just put everything in text with links below it then it will be done and over with. then when you have to time to experiment and learn how to improve it you can always add it then.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by electro324 March 25th 2011, 12:50 am

i don't know how i confused you but the other guy that started replying kinda threw me off bt the problem I said I had and still stands is adding the image to the left of the page and if I can add an image from Google im nt saying anything about widgets unless thats the only way because the other member gave me something to add to my site and I asked if i culd add an image there
electro324
electro324
Forumember

Back to top Go down