The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banning by IP address

3 posters

Go down

Banning by IP address Empty Banning by IP address

Post by ASOF Fri 15 Apr - 14:17

Can someone clarify how we use members IP details for the purpose of banning members in the future should we need to do so?

We have noticed some members show more than one IP address? May I firstly ask why a member shows more than one IP address as I understood each IP address was unique to each internet user / account? also if they are showing several different IP addresses and I ban all of these how can I be certain this wont effect our other users?

One more question, if I ban an individual by IP address can they still view the forum as a guest? Ideally I would like to prevent them viewing as a guest if this is possible?

Many Thanks

ASOF

Edit: Thanks Nera, we know how to implement the banning of IP's we just want clarification on our questions above.

Last edited by ASOF on Fri 15 Apr - 16:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated)
ASOF
Forumember

Male Posts : 41
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Banning by IP address Empty Re: Banning by IP address

Post by Nera. Fri 15 Apr - 14:28

1. To bann an IP go to Users and groups >> Bann control >> Bann an IP adress Banning by IP address 518F
Mostly they all have dynamic IP adresses, adresses that change every cca 24h.
They always can enter your site through proxyes.
Nera.
Nera.
Energetic

Female Posts : 7078

Back to top Go down

Banning by IP address Empty Re: Banning by IP address

Post by Jophy Fri 15 Apr - 20:14

There's a guide on how to ban Ip's here:
https://help.forumotion.com/t10774-banning-a-member

Almost all of us changes IP addresses everyday I guess, it usually changes if you reset your modem/internet provider system etc.

For banning IP addresses, I'm sure you won't be able to ban other members if you ban a certain IP of a member even if it changes, there would be many complaints if this would happen.

If you IP ban a member, he won't be able to view the forum, once he access the forum, he will receive a 'Critical Error' message.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down