The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Remove Nav links (revisited)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Remove Nav links (revisited)

Post by DBThanatos on April 30th 2011, 3:51 am

This might be redundant, since the answer has been given already, and Im sorry if Im violating the rules of the forum, but I think this is a valid question. Razz

Im trying to remove the register button from the main bar. This is because even with captcha enabled, I still keep getting quite a few spam bots around. My forum is quite small, and somehow the bots like to go there.

Anyway, in my "research" I found an interesting, though a bit old method here. It works wonders, except in the point where it asks me to put a link redirection (in this case in the "Register" button). I found out someone had this same issue, and for what I saw, what Im trying to do is not possible.

I kept looking though, and came across this possible solution. I was able to "hide" it as the 1st reply suggest. But considering my total inexperience in forum editing, Im wondering if Im just "hiding" it, in the sense that it's not displayed, but is still there, in a way a bot can still access it as a link (you know, invisible though present); if that's the case, well, it doesnt do any good. That's my 1st question.*

Then, I saw this reply in the same topicand while interesting, I have absolutely no clue of how to do it. For what I managed to see by searching the term "CSS" that means literally changing the source code of the forum, and that's something Im not willing to do just yet, since Im far too new in this stuff to try to mess with that. Heh, while the code presented there is simple enough, I dont even know where to start, I mean, how do I even edit it? That'd be my second question.*

*Now, I actually wanted to manage this through PMs asking directly, but I realized I must have a minimum of posts around in order to send PMs, and I dont feel like spamming other areas in the forum just to "unlock" the PM feature.

DBThanatos

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove Nav links (revisited)

Post by Base on April 30th 2011, 10:37 am

Hi, so basically you want registration to be disabled on your forum? Also, the requirement to send PMs is two posts and you are not allowed to ask for support through PMs. Wink

Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DBThanatos on May 1st 2011, 12:48 am

Oh! good to know. I was about to start a PM rampage Razz Somehow I missed that part in the general rules. I only saw about abusive/insulting/advertising PMs, though not about support. Thanks for the heads up.

Now, Im not trying to completely remove the registration feature, just to somehow redirect from "/register" since bots seem to access it without problems, and even though I have the captcha on, they still pass through. The idea was to change the navi link to have it redirect to the image verification solution I linked in the original post, but Im starting to fear this might not be possible at all.

DBThanatos

Back to top Go down

Post by Base on May 1st 2011, 10:30 am

Then I'm afraid it's not possible to redirect from "/register", your best bet would be to IP ban the bots or simply ban them on site.

Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DBThanatos on May 5th 2011, 5:13 pm

That's a shame Sad

Is there another way to add some extra security in the forum?* I can ban the bots, but the idea is to keep them away from even registering Razz

*I guess this could be a new thread if derailing it a bit is against the rules. In which case, I guess we could say the thread has been solved Smile

DBThanatos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on May 8th 2011, 12:08 pm

Bots don't need to register.

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down