The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Banning dynamic IP - different solutions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Banning dynamic IP - different solutions

Post by Diana on June 8th 2011, 6:40 pm

Hello. Now, I want some people off my forum. The problem is they have dynamic IP. Can I like contact some internet provider business and tell them to block the person from entering the forum or anything like it?
What kind of information can I get froma user's IP address that I can use somehow to block them?

Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Banning dynamic IP - different solutions

Post by Diana on June 9th 2011, 10:44 pm

rhe wrote:Hello. Now, I want some people off my forum. The problem is they have dynamic IP. Can I like contact some internet provider business and tell them to block the person from entering the forum or anything like it?
What kind of information can I get froma user's IP address that I can use somehow to block them?

Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on June 9th 2011, 11:07 pm

Ban the members' IP addresses. If they have more then one, you will have to ban all their IP addresses.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35649

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nera. on June 9th 2011, 11:18 pm

Hi rhe,

There is practicly no solution. They can always enter through proxies. If you have a serious problem with someone every net service provider (at least here) has an abuse button on their official sites where you can fail a complaint agents someone by providing their I.P. and pointing out your problem.

Nera.
Energetic

Female Posts : 7077

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 10th 2011, 1:42 am

Hi rhe.

for your forum i think the best solution would be to set up a dog house.
The dog house in a particle but effective method i have came up with to try to keep banned people using ip changers or proxies at bay.

All you do is create a hidden group, then create a forum called the same thing.
Instead of banning someone, you will simply put them in this group and they will not have permissions to anything on the forum nor any permissions on the dog house board.. so they are basically stuck there and can not see or do anything.

Now if you have a introductory forum set up, to where all new embers must reply and say hi first before gaining access to the rest of the forum.This will allow you to check ip's first. so if you have a member in the dog house and they are trying to get back on the forum with a different account. it will show you any ip's and or any other members that match with it.. so then you know not to give them access and to send to the dog house.

Of course nothing is 100% but i can garunty thyey will get sick of trying to get back on to the forum and eventually just go away.. or at least you hope.

But just be sure to always check the ip of any new member when they introduce their self on the intro board, and you should be fine..
And if a new member dose not post and say hi?? well it looks like they will not have access to the rest of the forum.

And iof for some reason a former banned member dose get around it without coming up on the radar when you check the ip, just be sure to send them to the dog house and never ban anyone again... keep them at bay in the dog hose.

I would rather have them stuck on a board with no permissions then them keep coming back causing problems.

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum