The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Issue: Building a forum for all resolutions

5 posters

Go down

Big Issue: Building a forum for all resolutions Empty Big Issue: Building a forum for all resolutions

Post by viho1 June 18th 2011, 1:13 am

I've had my forumotion forum for about 2 or 3 years now. I have done all of the layouts mostly by myself and the one thing that bugs me more than anything is that users with different resolutions see my website differently. I find it ridiculous that forumotion seems to have no solution to this, and any thread regarding this issue is completely ignored. I build my layouts according to my resolution, 1680 x 1050. However people who have smaller resolutions see images mostly cut off or overlapping, while people with larger resolutions see giant spaces, or images repeating/tiled.

Here is my forum www.undead-xbox.com

Problems:
- The center image is cut off on both sides for almost all users
- The chat box image is too big for some and too small for others
- The banner overlaps the forum line for smaller resolutions

I shouldn't have to change my layout to solve this, there has got to be way to establish a fixed view for my forum. Please respond.
viho1
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Big Issue: Building a forum for all resolutions Empty Re: Big Issue: Building a forum for all resolutions

Post by Guest June 18th 2011, 9:58 am

You need to make some changes in your CSS. First, find the #wrap rule and change the min-width to 975px. Then add this to your CSS:

Code:
#logo img {max-width: 100%;}
You won't see any difference with these changes, but I guarantee you, those with screen widths of 1280px or smaller will see a BIG difference...

Back to top Go down

Big Issue: Building a forum for all resolutions Empty Re: Big Issue: Building a forum for all resolutions

Post by sgeorge June 19th 2011, 3:45 pm

I can see everything perfect... I have 1024x768 resolution...
sgeorge
sgeorge
Forumember

Male Posts : 556
Language : Greek - English

Back to top Go down

Post by ElMuggs June 23rd 2011, 1:10 pm

I'm not sure how this is Forumotions fault at all? I know designing our forum skin I worked on a number of screens right from a tiny 3" handheld android mobile right up to a widescreen 17" laptop and never had a single issue with it.

Truth is that the problem lies in your graphics and css, so it's not Forumotions responsibility.

Outside of pure flash(and even then not 100%) there is no way to guarantee that every forum visitor will have the right resolution or software, so you need to design for it like everyone else.

using percentage based sizes and choosing when to scale or repeat images will go a long way to ensure your site scales and looks good for everyone Smile
ElMuggs
ElMuggs
Forumember

Language : CSS / HTML / BBcode / Javascript / Graphics and Tech Support yeech..

http://wizardswb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cipollone88 June 24th 2011, 2:01 am

sgeorge wrote:I can see everything perfect... I have 1024x768 resolution...
I have the same resolution (1024x768) but have to scroll over to see the right side of the forum. I tried to view it on my android phone but it crashed my browser Rolling Eyes Quote below is a valid point.

ElMuggs wrote:I'm not sure how this is Forumotions fault at all? I know designing our forum skin I worked on a number of screens right from a tiny 3" handheld android mobile right up to a widescreen 17" laptop and never had a single issue with it.

Truth is that the problem lies in your graphics and css, so it's not Forumotions responsibility.

Outside of pure flash(and even then not 100%) there is no way to guarantee that every forum visitor will have the right resolution or software, so you need to design for it like everyone else.

using percentage based sizes and choosing when to scale or repeat images will go a long way to ensure your site scales and looks good for everyone Smile

I have a similar problem involving different resolutions and my headerbar background image, just can't find an answer here.

Thanks ElMuggs for the last statement I've let my frustrations get the better of me, back to W3Schools online.....
viho1, here is the link http://www.w3schools.com/
cipollone88
Forumember

Male Posts : 27

http://mmwl.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by VNinjaV June 24th 2011, 10:31 pm

I have 1024 x 768 and I have to scroll right to see the whole forum. I know what you mean though I've been designing websites for years not just forums and this has always been a challenge due to the wide variety of screen resolutions used. It all depends on the size of the forum banner. The majority of internet users have 800 x 600 resolution, or they did a few years ago maybe it's higher now use Google to find this out. Then make your banner to fit the most used resolution. My forum is is designed to fit 1024 x 768. Anyone viewing this with less resolution will have to scroll right and anyone with an higher resolution will see space left to right of the forums. There isn't much you can do this is just the way it is and certainly nothing forumotion can do about it.
VNinjaV
VNinjaV
Forumember

Male Posts : 100
Language : English

http://www.gearsofwar3chatforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cipollone88 June 25th 2011, 3:24 am

Yes, I wish ElMuggs would share a bit more specific info about what to try with CSS as I have tried numerous suggestions and been researching this topic for a couple of weeks..... ...

I haven't tried dion's suggestion above yet, when I get to it I will reply back with results.
cipollone88
Forumember

Male Posts : 27

http://mmwl.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down