The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Password protected forums

2 posters

Go down

Password protected forums Empty Password protected forums

Post by cgould June 20th 2011, 8:36 am

I have had had a forum with forumocean for many years (http://alchemymoon.heavenforum.org/).
Forumocean is in my view by far the best service - by far.
There is one BIG lack - and that is in the ability to password protect forums. Users have been asking for this facility for years, and yet the issue has never been properly resolved.
I did read the post about how to use HTML to insert passwords - but I am not a programmer and it is beyond my level of understanding.
It seems, that all other forum providers have this facility as standard - why not here?
I also realise that you can have security by using groups, but this is clunky and requires constant monitoring and simply does not meet my requirements (i.e. members can have their own rooms and give out passwords).
I have reached a stage in the life of my forum where having passwords is essential.
Unfortunately I am having to look at moving to another forum provider, indeed I have started work on this.
Now, besides this single point I am very happy with forumocean -also a lot of work has gone into my forum - so the last thing I want to do is leave here.
So my question is - is there any chance that this can be resolved?
....please!
cgould

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Password protected forums Empty Re: Password protected forums

Post by Sanket June 20th 2011, 9:33 am

Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by cgould June 20th 2011, 10:05 am

Thanks for the reply.
I did see this post, unfortunately, as I pointed out in the original post, if you do not have and experience with programming, it is of little use. I simply have no idea how to use it.
Maybe someone can post an idiots guide, however, in the alternative forum provider I am working in it is so simple - you just put the password you want into the dialogue box when you set up a forum.
The point that I am making is that this must be so easy to implement, and so basically important to a forum, that I cannot understand why this has not been developed.
I really do want to stay with forumotion - and if someone can tell me in laymans terms how to implement the code from the post - I really would be grateful.
However, there is a serious suggestion here, made by many over the years.
Otherwise - I love this place and again thanks for the advise sankit.
cgould

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket June 20th 2011, 2:15 pm

Well, there is no automatic way currently then. You can vote for the suggestion.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

Back to top Go down