The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Limit to How Long CSS Stylesheet can be?

4 posters

Go down

In progress Limit to How Long CSS Stylesheet can be?

Post by Empire_1 July 24th 2011, 8:29 pm

Hello I can only put a certain length of code in my CSS Stylesheet before it starts cutting off my codes and stuff. Mad It appears I can only add a page length of code and I can't increase any more! Is this a glitch?
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1391
Language : English, Spanish, Mandarin, C++

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Limit to How Long CSS Stylesheet can be?

Post by Nera. July 24th 2011, 10:55 pm

Nera.
Nera.
Energetic

Female Posts : 7078
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk July 25th 2011, 3:44 pm

yeah like the link nera provided above there is a 64 thousand characteristics limit, this is including spaces as well..
But there is no reason you would even have to have that much in a css code.
So not sure what your using but i can almost guarantee over half of what you have in the code would not be doing what you think it is anyway.

Plus i dont even think you would be able to fit it in code tags here if it is exceeding the limit.. so you may have to put it in a note pad and upload to a file host. then i can have a look at it and try to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff that you do not need in there.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 July 25th 2011, 8:47 pm

@Nera: Thanks Very Happy

kirk wrote:yeah like the link nera provided above there is a 64 thousand characteristics limit, this is including spaces as well..
But there is no reason you would even have to have that much in a css code.
So not sure what your using but i can almost guarantee over half of what you have in the code would not be doing what you think it is anyway.

Plus i dont even think you would be able to fit it in code tags here if it is exceeding the limit.. so you may have to put it in a note pad and upload to a file host. then i can have a look at it and try to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff that you do not need in there.

Could it be my skin? I'm using the standard Prosilver Blue one... >.>

Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 26th 2011, 5:21 am

I do know that the good folks at eToxic are adding some useless rules at the end of everyone's CSS, and those rules take up about 1/8 of your allotted space. The rules support BBcodes that no one uses. (I would add that those useless BBcodes are the reason the good folks at eToxic are forcing people using IE9 to view pages in IE8 mode -- apparently those useless BBcodes are more important than allowing IE9 users to view pages the same way they're seen in Firefox or Safari. But I digress.)

I looked at your CSS, and there is no reason why you should have the problems you do with adding additional rules. You're using less than 1/4 of the space that should be available to you.

One thing I would suggest is that you make a copy of your added CSS, then delete what's in the CSS box and save an empty CSS. Then turn off the 'optimize CSS' option and save again. Then turn the 'optimize CSS' option back on and save again. Then finally, paste back your original CSS and save again. I've found that this cumbersome procedure will reset something in the server code and allow more CSS to be added. Let us know if this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 July 26th 2011, 4:56 pm

dion wrote:I do know that the good folks at eToxic are adding some useless rules at the end of everyone's CSS, and those rules take up about 1/8 of your allotted space. The rules support BBcodes that no one uses. (I would add that those useless BBcodes are the reason the good folks at eToxic are forcing people using IE9 to view pages in IE8 mode -- apparently those useless BBcodes are more important than allowing IE9 users to view pages the same way they're seen in Firefox or Safari. But I digress.)

I looked at your CSS, and there is no reason why you should have the problems you do with adding additional rules. You're using less than 1/4 of the space that should be available to you.

One thing I would suggest is that you make a copy of your added CSS, then delete what's in the CSS box and save an empty CSS. Then turn off the 'optimize CSS' option and save again. Then turn the 'optimize CSS' option back on and save again. Then finally, paste back your original CSS and save again. I've found that this cumbersome procedure will reset something in the server code and allow more CSS to be added. Let us know if this helps.

Thanks for writing so much Very Happy

However, I have not activated the "Optimize CSS" option Confused
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 26th 2011, 7:48 pm

You should still follow the steps I outlined:

1) Make a copy of your added CSS, then delete what's in the CSS box and save an empty CSS.

2) Turn on the 'optimize CSS' option and save again.

3) Paste back your original CSS and save again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 July 31st 2011, 12:50 am

I'll just give up on this then Sad
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by musket July 31st 2011, 1:53 am

The CSS limit is 64K ..Although template editing can be much longer I once tried a punBB forum with hidden script and when it was revealed it was 75K Smile
musket
musket
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1130
Language : English

http://hemmingsdaman2.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum