The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat logs

+35
Ape
SerahNoel
Kaynil
cHaSwWind04
Sir Chivas™
Jophy
Nekare
Niko
Cyborg112233
PorkyPine V10
Jellydonut
ZekromFan1997
Rainbow Zebra
XxForumGirlxX
ThomasPhillips
Jakeb
LGforum
ElementalPride
Raze
Lillia
Stargamer96
TruthSayer
bHulleT.w
TechGeek
Mr DarkHaxers2
littlemiss
Xanthis
!_NICK_!
MrMario
Empire_1
UltimateShinobi
Sanket
LH Justin
Ninja frog
AMRES
39 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Do you like the suggestion?

Chat logs Left1196%Chat logs Right11 96% 
[ 67 ]
Chat logs Left114%Chat logs Right11 4% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 70

Chat logs Empty Chat logs

Post by AMRES July 30th 2011, 12:27 pm

I was thinking if the administrators of a forum could access "chat logs" because chat moderators would clear chat archives if something "silly" happens in the chatbox.

The purpose of this to check whichever member is disrupting the chat instead of manually asking fellow chat mods.

Chat logs should only be seen by administrators.
AMRES
AMRES
Forumember

Male Posts : 30
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Chat logs Empty Re: Chat logs

Post by Ninja frog July 30th 2011, 2:43 pm

yes that is a good idea
Ninja frog
Ninja frog
Forumember

Male Posts : 34
Language : english

http://funnypics.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin July 30th 2011, 9:40 pm

Eh, my general idea is if something is cleared in the chatbox, no one should probably see it. Razz
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3686

Back to top Go down

Post by AMRES July 30th 2011, 10:34 pm

LH Justin wrote:Eh, my general idea is if something is cleared in the chatbox, no one should probably see it. Razz
AMRES wrote: The purpose of this to check whichever member is disrupting the chat instead of manually asking fellow chat mods. Chat logs should only be seen by administrators.
With the use of chat logs, we would be able to retain proof of any member misbehaving in the chatbox.
AMRES
AMRES
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by AMRES July 31st 2011, 12:54 pm

Come on guys, need more people to vote in this poll ya know. Razz
AMRES
AMRES
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket July 31st 2011, 12:56 pm

May I remind you that double/triple posting isn't tolerated unless separated by 24 hours (Use the edit button) Wink
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 1st 2011, 12:02 am

AMRES wrote:
LH Justin wrote:Eh, my general idea is if something is cleared in the chatbox, no one should probably see it. Razz
AMRES wrote: The purpose of this to check whichever member is disrupting the chat instead of manually asking fellow chat mods. Chat logs should only be seen by administrators.
With the use of chat logs, we would be able to retain proof of any member misbehaving in the chatbox.
It's a forum, if you think someone did something bad, ban them. I firmly believe that people shouldn't be monitored like that, even if it is your site. I'm sure whatever members and moderators are doing in the chat it has no threat on the safety or reputation of your forum.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateShinobi August 1st 2011, 10:33 am

LH Justin wrote:
AMRES wrote:
It's a forum, if you think someone did something bad, ban them. I firmly believe that people shouldn't be monitored like that, even if it is your site. I'm sure whatever members and moderators are doing in the chat it has no threat on the safety or reputation of your forum.

Not all people believe in that policy Justin, the severity of the behaviour is what I'd base my punishment off and I'm sure many feel the same and sometimes I can not judge on the severity of the behaviour because my staff clear the chat, is this something I've spoken to them about? Yes and in most cases they'll do what is right but in the heat of the moment sometimes people forget it and it should be acceptable for administrators to look back on these sorts of things if the situation demands it.
UltimateShinobi
UltimateShinobi
Forumember

Male Posts : 118

http://www.ultimateshinobi.org/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 1st 2011, 10:42 am

UltimateShinobi wrote:
LH Justin wrote:
AMRES wrote:

Not all people believe in that policy Justin, the severity of the behaviour is what I'd base my punishment off and I'm sure many feel the same and sometimes I can not judge on the severity of the behaviour because my staff clear the chat, is this something I've spoken to them about? Yes and in most cases they'll do what is right but in the heat of the moment sometimes people forget it and it should be acceptable for administrators to look back on these sorts of things if the situation demands it.
To me, archiving a chat is like recording a phone call. Just not something that should be done. I mean sure, chatboxes aren't really private but neither are phonecalls if you think about it.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateShinobi August 1st 2011, 10:59 am

LH Justin wrote:
UltimateShinobi wrote:
LH Justin wrote:
AMRES wrote:

To me, archiving a chat is like recording a phone call. Just not something that should be done. I mean sure, chatboxes aren't really private but neither are phonecalls if you think about it.

Here on Forumotion when we want to talk to somebody personally, we would private message somebody. The chatbox is a public area and if you're behaving like an idiot or doing something inappropriate that needs to be addressed I think its fair for the administrators to have access to some sort of archive. In a phone calls case, you usually call to speak to somebody specifically so yes in more a private matter than a chatbox and if somebody is a criminal, the authorities may trace their calls if its severe enough. So why shouldn't administrators have the permission to see the logs of their chatbox?
UltimateShinobi
UltimateShinobi
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 1st 2011, 11:16 am

UltimateShinobi wrote:
LH Justin wrote:
UltimateShinobi wrote:
LH Justin wrote:
AMRES wrote:

Here on Forumotion when we want to talk to somebody personally, we would private message somebody. The chatbox is a public area and if you're behaving like an idiot or doing something inappropriate that needs to be addressed I think its fair for the administrators to have access to some sort of archive. In a phone calls case, you usually call to speak to somebody specifically so yes in more a private matter than a chatbox and if somebody is a criminal, the authorities may trace their calls if its severe enough. So why shouldn't administrators have the permission to see the logs of their chatbox?
Because people shouldn't be held accountable for something they typed in a chat. If it is something serious then your moderators should be able to handle it and report the offense to you. If you can't trust your moderators then maybe you should pick your staff better.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateShinobi August 1st 2011, 4:13 pm

LH Justin wrote:
UltimateShinobi wrote:
LH Justin wrote:
UltimateShinobi wrote:
LH Justin wrote:
AMRES wrote:

Because people shouldn't be held accountable for something they typed in a chat. If it is something serious then your moderators should be able to handle it and report the offense to you. If you can't trust your moderators then maybe you should pick your staff better.

I think you fail to address the diversity of forums that Forumotion is host to, to some places the chatbox is a key feature to their site and needs to be utilized accordingly but at the same time it isn't the reason why I or anybody else would hire moderators, though it is necessary people grasp the conditions the administrators set out for the chatbox, they are exactly that - people. At times people forget to do these things when in the actual moment and when see absurd or offensive material, they would clear it straight away. People should indeed be accountable for what they say in the chatbox. We have the ability to think about what we are writing properly before we send it, edit and change things before we hit that enter button, even now I can do so. If I decided to then insult you for no particular reason I could be held accountable for that, the chatbox should be no different. We want to promote the chatbox as a friendly place but its hard to fairly punish those who break the rules if their crimes are not recorded.
UltimateShinobi
UltimateShinobi
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 August 1st 2011, 4:33 pm

Definitely Yes. We certainly, certainly need this feature, as sometimes, my forum has up to 60 users or something like that in the chatbox during "parties" and there is absolutely no way for Admins to monitor the conversation(s).

And great argument UltimateShinobi thumright
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1391
Language : English, Spanish, Mandarin, C++

Back to top Go down

Post by AMRES August 1st 2011, 7:01 pm

The Divine Clutch wrote:Definitely Yes. We certainly, certainly need this feature, as sometimes, my forum has up to 60 users or something like that in the chatbox during "parties" and there is absolutely no way for Admins to monitor the conversation(s).

And great argument UltimateShinobi thumright
This.

I agree, UltimateShinobi has said what I was trying to say. Razz
AMRES
AMRES
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 August 1st 2011, 7:12 pm

So how about it MrMario? Godfather? Very Happy
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AMRES August 2nd 2011, 3:53 pm

The Divine Clutch wrote:So how about it MrMario? Godfather? Very Happy
Yeah MrMario!

How about it? :wouhou:
AMRES
AMRES
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario August 2nd 2011, 7:41 pm

If you don't trust your staff, I think its about time you find someone who you can trust.

The Divine Clutch please stop adding wood to the fire to arguments and what not; it doesn't help.

AMRES wrote:
The Divine Clutch wrote:So how about it MrMario? Godfather? Very Happy
Yeah MrMario!

How about it? :wouhou:

How about what? If your talking about install this to forums I can't do anything. If you mean by giving out warnings and closing this topic because its turning into an argument then I can do that. We really need to respect people's views and not start a fight here.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 August 2nd 2011, 7:51 pm

MrMario wrote:
...If you mean by giving out warnings and closing this topic because its turning into an argument then I can do that. We really need to respect people's views and not start a fight here.

Sorry that's not what I meant. I meant could you install it?? Though based on this quote:
How about what? If your talking about install this to forums I can't do anything.

I guess you can't? Sad
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja frog August 2nd 2011, 9:59 pm

their are limited amount of members for an admin to make into chat moderators so they may not be compleatly reliable also it is a good way to rate their performance based on the accuracy of their punishments and any warnings that were given

also who is it that can add functions to the forums?
Ninja frog
Ninja frog
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 2nd 2011, 10:03 pm

Ninja frog wrote:their are limited amount of members for an admin to make into chat moderators so they may not be compleatly reliable also it is a good way to rate their performance based on the accuracy of their punishments and any warnings that were given

Only the Pro Staff has the ability to add features to our forums. We are the Volunteer Staff. We have one Pro Staff here, The Godfather.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninja frog August 2nd 2011, 10:10 pm

thank you
Ninja frog
Ninja frog
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by AMRES August 2nd 2011, 10:30 pm

The Divine Clutch wrote:
MrMario wrote:
...If you mean by giving out warnings and closing this topic because its turning into an argument then I can do that. We really need to respect people's views and not start a fight here.

Sorry that's not what I meant. I meant could you install it?
This was merely intended to be a suggestion; not an argument or a fight. Sad
AMRES
AMRES
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateShinobi August 3rd 2011, 9:30 am

The staff derailed this thread, can we address the concerns in this topic instead of the technicalities please?
UltimateShinobi
UltimateShinobi
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 August 8th 2011, 4:41 pm

LH Justin wrote:
Ninja frog wrote:their are limited amount of members for an admin to make into chat moderators so they may not be compleatly reliable also it is a good way to rate their performance based on the accuracy of their punishments and any warnings that were given

Only the Pro Staff has the ability to add features to our forums. We are the Volunteer Staff. We have one Pro Staff here, The Godfather.

Didn't Typlo used to be Pro Staff?
-sigh-
Wish he was here Razz

Only one pro staff though? Hmm maybe you should work on getting more >.>
Anyway, I'd really like to see this thing get approved since it is very useful. I would pay credits for this.
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LH Justin August 8th 2011, 5:07 pm

The Divine Clutch wrote:
LH Justin wrote:

Didn't Typlo used to be Pro Staff?
-sigh-
Wish he was here Razz

Only one pro staff though? Hmm maybe you should work on getting more >.>
Anyway, I'd really like to see this thing get approved since it is very useful. I would pay credits for this.
Yes, but he left Forumotion and is now sort of a Volunteer Staff member himself. Either that or they seized his account. Razz

As for more Pro Staff, it's not our decision.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by !_NICK_! August 10th 2011, 1:40 am

Voted yes.

I think it's a good Ideal.
!_NICK_!
!_NICK_!
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1505
Language : English, HTML, and CSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Xanthis August 10th 2011, 2:34 am

If all chat logs hosted by Forumotion were recorded, wouldn't this take up massive amounts of database space?
Xanthis
Xanthis
Forumember

Male Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post by AMRES August 11th 2011, 9:37 pm

Reminder - Sometimes the chatbox could get active and staff members may not be there at the moment.
AMRES
AMRES
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 August 11th 2011, 11:38 pm

Xanthis wrote:If all chat logs hosted by Forumotion were recorded, wouldn't this take up massive amounts of database space?

Well, many forums are already massive Razz

Besides, if needed, you can have a feature where it only saves the previous 7 day's stuff.

C'mon let's vote yes ~ this a needed feature! Smile
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by littlemiss August 12th 2011, 2:32 am

I totally agree, it is something needed, with out proof it ends up being a he said she said debate, we cant be on 24/7 to monitor the chat the only other thing is to disable chat when not on ,but then this is unfair to our members that don't abuse the chat function.

Maybe forumotion could add a feature where as you by credits to utilize this area , then those that feel it is inappropriate or not needed can op out of it,
littlemiss

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next