The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MellowGold on September 3rd 2011, 8:08 am

App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

I try to make my forum is to App on Facebook as
Canvas URL: http://davaomixdjs.nice-album.com/
and the result is http://apps.facebook.com/pinoymixdjs/

but facebook will required a Secured Canvas URL with https this Oct 1...
I try, Secured Canvas URL: https://davaomixdjs.nice-album.com/
and the result is https://apps.facebook.com/pinoymixdjs/

ERROR!!!

What will I do to make my Facebook App still working??

MellowGold
New Member

Male Posts : 11
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Philippines

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by Sanket on September 3rd 2011, 8:16 am

To get a https
http://techbasedmarketing.com/blog/how-to-get-https-on-your-domain/902/

For this, you will need to get in touch with The godfather if you got the domain name from Forumotion. Or from wherever that you got the domain name from.
Although, i am not sure if this is possible to do via Forumotion. However, you can ask.

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Reputation : 2819
Language : English
Location : Mumbai

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MellowGold on September 3rd 2011, 9:37 am


Thanks for the reply!!! I hope there are other ways and options...

More input please???

MellowGold
New Member

Male Posts : 11
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Philippines

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by mdoyle on September 4th 2011, 1:55 am

ya i need this soon as well..

mdoyle
Forumember

Male Posts : 68
Reputation : 0
Language : nyc

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MellowGold on September 29th 2011, 3:52 pm

facebook will required a Secured Canvas URL with https this Oct 1... ANY BODY KNOW HOW??? ...

MellowGold
New Member

Male Posts : 11
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Philippines

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MrMario on September 29th 2011, 11:32 pm

You can't get Https:// on forums.

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Reputation : 1830
Language : test

http://test.com

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by Guest on September 30th 2011, 2:37 am

On October 1st, you will no longer be able to use your forumotion board as a canvas app on Facebook. Forumotion boards do not use SSL, even for logins, so there is no hope even for the future. The best you can do is to create a PHP-based app on a secure server that uses CURL to load and display your board's homepage.

I know this works because, just last week, I did something similar for a page tab for Facebook Forum's fan page.

(I'm waiting to see whether Facebook Connect breaks on the 1st. If it doesn't, kudos to the tech who rewrote the Facebook Connect PHP script to make it OAuth2.0 compatible...)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

how to get ssl certificate for fb fan page

Post by cmconsidine on September 30th 2011, 9:14 am

Link Removed ~ MrMario

cmconsidine
New Member

Female Posts : 10
Reputation : 0
Language : english
Location : Victoria

http://wowpetsocietygroup.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by cmconsidine on September 30th 2011, 9:16 am

Link Removed ~ MrMario

cmconsidine
New Member

Female Posts : 10
Reputation : 0
Language : english
Location : Victoria

http://wowpetsocietygroup.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by musket on September 30th 2011, 10:06 am

Link Removed ~ MrMario

musket
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1129
Reputation : 131
Language : English
Location : Northern Ireland

http://hemmingsdaman2.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by Guest on September 30th 2011, 8:19 pm

The last three posts are advertising, and false advertising at that. But you know, if someone wants to fall prey to hoaxes, so be it...

Facebook is offering free cloud apps that are hosted on secure servers. If one is developing an app or page tab, this is the way to go if one doesn't want to pay for secure hosting.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MrMario on September 30th 2011, 8:24 pm

No need to post those urls. They will be removed and result in a warnings. Wink
cmconsidine no double/triple posting.

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Reputation : 1830
Language : test

http://test.com

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by kirk on October 1st 2011, 4:24 am

Dion do you know if this is going to effect facebook connect or other Facebook developers tools such as comment box,like feature and and live stream comment box.

I suppose it will because all of the codes require the page link in them.
This bites, all the hell i had to go through with Facebook to get my id and pin numbers to add FB developer tools and now this.
So i am done with FB, i was never a big fan anyway and only incorporated the stupid options to pages because for others.. so yeah i am not a happy camper.. I can only hope this is the beginning of the end of Facebook, but fat chance of that Sad

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Reputation : 651
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by Guest on October 1st 2011, 7:18 am

Social plugins such as the like box and comment box weren't affected by the recent changes unless you were requesting special permissions from users (profile access, stream/publish access, etc). We won't know about Facebook Connect for another few hours.

The problems are mostly in the other direction, where people were doing things like creating an app using a forumotion forum as a canvas page. That's no longer possible, despite what you might have seen in the hoax videos that were (temporarily) posted here. I actually feel sorry for those who did what those videos stated...at best they now have malware on their system, at worst they will be in legal trouble.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by kirk on October 1st 2011, 7:06 pm

@dion wrote:Social plugins such as the like box and comment box weren't affected by the recent changes unless you were requesting special permissions from users (profile access, stream/publish access, etc). We won't know about Facebook Connect for another few hours.

The problems are mostly in the other direction, where people were doing things like creating an app using a forumotion forum as a canvas page. That's no longer possible, despite what you might have seen in the hoax videos that were (temporarily) posted here. I actually feel sorry for those who did what those videos stated...at best they now have malware on their system, at worst they will be in legal trouble.

Right all the options i use seem to still be ok so thats cool.
The main reason facebook did this is because there was to many fake apps out their with people putting their info in, or at least thats what i heard.. I went and started a thread in the office in case we got blasted with a zillion facebook things today, but seems not to be the case so far, so thats good news, However i still feel the same as i always did about FB. i was just never a big fan... LOL

Thanx bro

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Reputation : 651
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MellowGold on October 5th 2011, 11:45 pm

Yes there is CloudServices tied up with facebook and I tried it.
The problem now i don't know about programming language from the dropdown: PHP, Ruby, Node.js, Python... hu hu hu. just a hobbies making forum

I found Social-Server who convert our http:// into https://, it an apps also of facebook.. I don't know if its real or fake/scam apps...

Please help me evaluate this >>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yEh_Fa-2VQ&NR=1
https://www.facebook.com/SocialServer

Thanks for the help and support!!!

bwi

MellowGold
New Member

Male Posts : 11
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Philippines

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by cmconsidine on October 6th 2011, 2:24 pm

whoa!! firstly I apologise for posting 'fake' videos on how to get a secure (https) url in order to meet the requirements facebook demanded by October 1st.

What I dont understand is, if the videos were hoaxes as you say, why did they work to change our url from a http to a https?
I'm no techhie, and having come to this thread to find an answer to this myself and finding nothing but questions from other members like me, I posted the youtube links a fellow admin sent me which we used successfully ourselves. I had no idea they were 'hoaxes' , and still don't understand how they can be when they worked... :/
We did not experience any malware or legal problems from following the instructions in the video either, so I am just confused...

cmconsidine
New Member

Female Posts : 10
Reputation : 0
Language : english
Location : Victoria

http://wowpetsocietygroup.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MellowGold on October 6th 2011, 6:04 pm

Yes, Its working at this moment...

We dont know if Facebook discover it maybe it could be block..

Hopely not coz it SOLVE my problem now...

Thanks for the support!!!
:wouhou:

MellowGold
New Member

Male Posts : 11
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Philippines

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by Guest on October 6th 2011, 6:51 pm

@I wrote:I actually feel sorry for those who did what those videos stated...at best they now have malware on their system, at worst they will be in legal trouble.
Caveat Emptor.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by cmconsidine on October 6th 2011, 9:24 pm

@ Mellowgold

yes, thats the same solution (and link I posted which was removed) we used to make our url secure (https), and it worked for us too.

@ Dion
Forgive me if I sound ungrateful, but I was under the impression this was a support forum for forumotion users. Do you have any alternative suggestions that could actually assist? I appreciate your concern that the suggestions listed so far are, in your opinion, 'bogus', but repeating this opinion is really not all that helpful. An alternative suggestion we could try however, would be. Please share them/it here if you have one that is successful, as posting that you found one but not sharing the details with others here seems rather pointless really.... Confused

cmconsidine
New Member

Female Posts : 10
Reputation : 0
Language : english
Location : Victoria

http://wowpetsocietygroup.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by Guest on October 7th 2011, 1:10 am

@I wrote:Facebook is offering free cloud apps that are hosted on secure servers. If one is developing an app or page tab, this is the way to go if one doesn't want to pay for secure hosting.
Doesn't that count as an alternative suggestion?

I think it's pretty amazing that Facebook is offering free SSL hosting...but it seems there are a lot of people who are looking for a solution that requires no effort on their part. And less-than-honest people are more than willing to provide that...at a very steep price, though you won't know how steep a price until it's too late.

I'm trying to save some people from paying that steep price. But hey, if the folks in this topic want to pay that price, go right ahead!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by cmconsidine on October 7th 2011, 6:18 pm

@dion wrote:
@I wrote:Facebook is offering free cloud apps that are hosted on secure servers. If one is developing an app or page tab, this is the way to go if one doesn't want to pay for secure hosting.
Doesn't that count as an alternative suggestion?

I think it's pretty amazing that Facebook is offering free SSL hosting...but it seems there are a lot of people who are looking for a solution that requires no effort on their part. And less-than-honest people are more than willing to provide that...at a very steep price, though you won't know how steep a price until it's too late.

I'm trying to save some people from paying that steep price. But hey, if the folks in this topic want to pay that price, go right ahead!

hi Dion, thanks for the reply. I italicised a line in your reply because I feel this may be where the bone of contention lies, and hence the misunderstanding that has since arisen and is apparent from various posts in this thread.

I can gather from this italicised line in your reply that you have assumed people-like myself, and others who have posted here asking for some assistance-are asking for this support because we do not want to put in any effort into finding a solution ourselves.
Before I ask why you have assumed this, I firstly need to assure you that posting here to ask for help was veritably the very last resort.
No one I know likes to admit they have no other options, nor any clue where to find one, and I am no different.
It is embarrassing and somewhat humiliating to have to come here and admit defeat, by asking for help with a problem which basically translates to make or break for our forum, 'break' in fact, if no solution is found.
After seeking out other sources for information (ever since our forum's inception) proved futile, what other choice was there available to me, or anyone else in the same position, other than ask for some advice here, really?
I explained from the get-go that I have no substantial technical aptitude or experience, as did the other people who posted here asking for the same help with the very same problem.
The reason I chose forumotion in the first place was because this support forum existed and for the ease of use in creating a forum for non-techy types like me.
If I did have the skills required to write the coding etc. for a forum, I would not need to use the very useful template and program features forumotion provides, nor the back-up of a support forum such as this. As it is, my expertise lies in another unrelated field, and using the internet and its many applications is just a hobby for me. My work does not allow me the spare time to acquaint or train myself better in computer programming language, and given the service forumotion supplies that more than adequately meets my minimal requirements, I can't see the need nor feel the inclination.
Perhaps I have missed something here, but I am still under the impression that forumotion was in fact, designed to provide a way for people like myself to create their own forum, and that this site-the forum of the forums, 'the support forum for forumotion' as the tag line explicates, is the site forumotion users are meant to go to when they need support with their forum. So please tell me, have I misconstrued something?
If not, could you elaborate on how your assumption: that typical forumotion users like myself are looking for solutions to manage/save their forums with no effort on their part has a legitimate place in this thread?
It appears from your assumptions, that you hold other forumotion users, with less technical aptitude than you may have, in real contempt.
Not only that, it appears you assume we are out of order to ask for support here, and that we should already know the answers. The fact that we do not know the answers, has led you to wrongly assume that we do not wish to put any effort in .
I have to tell you that the problem we seek help for goes way beyond any amount of effort we may or may not exert, in fact, it goes to the core issue that if we do not find a solution, our forum will no longer exist.
Facebook users are the be-all and end-all for our forum, as our forum is directly related to another facebook app and is designed for users of that app.
Currently I have had to remove our forum, and cannot reinstate it until we find a solution to the problem this thread was created for.
We believed we had found a solution as one of the links I posted here earlier did give us the secure url we needed, and I see it also worked for Mellow, another forumotion user in this thread.
Since reading your posts however that warn we will be looking at legal implications and impending exorbitant costs, we had to make the awful decision to remove our forum rather than take this risk.
If the claims you have made are true, then you can pat yourself on the back for saving us the costs we may have faced somewhere down the track (though no evidence of such has actually been provided by you, other than your disparaging remarks about people who, faced with no other options, try them)
If not, then your posts have done nothing other than deter people from asking for help here (who wants to be judged as being some lazy ignoramus who doesn't want to put any effort in, simply for not knowing the answer to a problem that is beyond that person's technical aptitude anyway?).




cmconsidine
New Member

Female Posts : 10
Reputation : 0
Language : english
Location : Victoria

http://wowpetsocietygroup.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by Guest on October 7th 2011, 8:20 pm

This topic has little to do with forumotion. It has EVERYTHING to do with Facebook and its requirement to have secure canvas and tab URLs. forumotion does not support SSL and doubtfully ever will. That's the end of the story from the forumotion perspective, and I appreciate the staff here keeping this topic open even though this isn't really a forumotion issue.

Facebook offers free cloud apps that satisfy the new requirements. Nothing is stopping you, or anyone else, from creating a cloud app that loads your forumotion board. All it takes is some time and effort.

I'm a little frustrated here because it isn't as though Facebook sprung this new requirement on people -- it was announced MONTHS ago, and there have been notifications in apps since that time. It only seemed to matter when peoples' apps stopped working...hence my comment about not putting any effort. People KNEW this was going to happen and did nothing.

And finally, here's some info: FBML will stop working on Facebook on June 1st, 2012. People have more than seven months to convert their FBML-based apps/tabs to use HTML/PHP/Javascript/etc. If you have an FBML-based app/tab, this would be a good time to start rewriting it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: App on Facebook need Secure Page (https://)

Post by MrMario on October 7th 2011, 9:25 pm

This is no longer needed! cmconsidine you don't need to bicker to Dion this isn't the place nor will it.

Topic locked

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Reputation : 1830
Language : test

http://test.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum