The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Backup/Restore

2 posters

Go down

In progress Forum Backup/Restore

Post by Micahmic September 6th 2011, 8:45 pm

I have looked around this forum and have seen many people ask for their forum backup, only to be rejected by an admin.

I have an idea. Why doesn't forumotion allow downloadable backups, but with some type of encryption that only forumotion has the key for? (I assume it would be similar to the encrypted proprietary .bbtheme files.) Then, you don't have to worry about any data that may leak out in the backup, and people can have the peace of mind that they have their data safe on their own hard drive, and that they can backup into a really old backup, if they really have to.

Or have I been ignorant, and not understood another reason why it is not done? It really bothers me that I cannot keep a backup safe with me, and I would feel much better about using forumotion if they allowed this. Can it please be seriously considered?
Micahmic

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Forum Backup/Restore

Post by Base September 6th 2011, 10:26 pm

Hi, the reason why it is not possible to download backups of your forum is because Forumotion does not hand out its databases. But you shouldn't worry, backups of your forums are made frequently and are stored online in which you can use the forum utilities to restore your forum should there be a problem. Smile
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Micahmic September 6th 2011, 10:36 pm

But if someone didn't trust how well it was stored, then why doesn't Forumotion hand out a deeply encrypted database that only Forumotion can decrypt, for restoring and such. I understand the backup and restore features, and have used them in the past.

I know that the servers are probably very safe. But I'm saying that there is no reason people shouldn't be able to have their own data secure with them. It doesn't have to be readable by them is what I'm saying. Because from what I have heard, that is why they don't want people having copies of the databases, because people will be able to see forumotions data as well.
Micahmic

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Base September 6th 2011, 10:41 pm

I'm not sure why Forumotion doesn't let you, but it's their policy and that's just the way it is I suppose. I can't do anything about it. You can read more about the database here: https://help.forumotion.com/t6668-forumotion-s-forum-databases

Smile
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum