The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Username and passwords

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Username and passwords

Post by ants2795 on September 17th 2011, 11:57 pm

Hello Forumotion,
I have recently made a forum with you guys and I was wondering is there a way to get a list of usernames/emails, passwords and IPs (for protection) of the people registered so I can code a program which I'm going to use for chat-rooms etc and use httprequests for the profile?
If there is, is it connected to the site so I can just use more webrequests? And hopefully no one will be able to emulate/crack it, but you know what they say - "Nothing is un-crackable." xD

ants2795

Male Posts : 7
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Username and passwords

Post by LGforum on September 18th 2011, 2:58 am

Passwords are encoded when they enter the database so there is no way to retrieve them.
Unless you would be able to see everyones personal passwords... which they may use for important things.

LGforum
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2254

http://www.avacweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla990 on September 18th 2011, 10:31 pm

LGforum is correct, you cannot view the passwords of those who have created an account on your forum. Although I don't see a problem with why you can't because misusing the data people have entered could be breaching the Computer Misuse Act and get you into a hefty amount of trouble. Personally, I feel it is up to the owner of the forum to be responsible for the users on the forums they run and any information they share on that forum.

You could find the IP Address of those who have posted by clicking on the "IP" image of whatever that is on the post somewhere where the "Edit", "Delete" and other buttons usually are. However, I'm not sure your idea will work very well because people's IP addresses can change and if they want to log on from a different computer they might not be able to use it due to the way you have coded the program.

Forumotion already has a chat box feature which automatically uses the account name for logging into the forum and comes with a chat log and moderation functions. I'm not sure why you would want to code your own when there is a perfectly reasonable tool for you already created.

Vanilla990
Forumember

Male Posts : 69

http://www.rsglobalchat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ants2795 on September 18th 2011, 10:41 pm

@Vanilla990 wrote:Forumotion already has a chat box feature which automatically uses the account name for logging into the forum and comes with a chat log and moderation functions. I'm not sure why you would want to code your own when there is a perfectly reasonable tool for you already created.
I want a private chat, but don't want to change the permissions on the chatbox because guests/members should be able to see it.

ants2795

Male Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum