The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to upload a document and keep it editable?

Go down

How to upload a document and keep it editable? Empty How to upload a document and keep it editable?

Post by Nabus December 6th 2011, 6:24 pm

Hello, I am in need of uploading a document to my website. I would like to post it in either a post or create a HTML page for it.

I can upload the document as an attachment but that doesn't allow me to open it and view it, only for another person to download it. Also I would like for it to keep it's editable properties so that others can view the changes and make changes themselves.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way and others may have a better idea.

I run a RPG forum. Since the Chatbox doesn't have dice roller I have tried to create my own live game board. I have written a page where it is linked to the chat box in half the page where the other half links to a forum where players make their rolls.

This is a bit clunky and I have players complaining about not being able to see the whole board. (I know this has to do with my code) Truthfully though it is just a pain to run a live game this way. It takes forever and the players get frustrated going back and forth.

So an Idea I came up with is to build a spreadsheet that can create random numbers in specific fields. I know I can upload this spreadsheet to another site and link to it from my site but it doesn't keep all the specific properties that I included in the spreadsheet.

So I would like to place it in a HTML page and link that to a button on my home page and when we play a live game everyone just has to go to that page and log in. I would also have the sites chatbox iframed into it but it will be a much smoother process than what we currently have.

So that is basically what I am trying to do. Please help if you have any idea how to accomplish this.

Thank you.
Nabus

Language : English

Back to top Go down

How to upload a document and keep it editable? Empty Re: How to upload a document and keep it editable?

Post by Guest December 6th 2011, 6:34 pm

Nabus wrote:Hello, I am in need of uploading a document to my website. I would like to post it in either a post or create a HTML page for it.

I can upload the document as an attachment but that doesn't allow me to open it and view it, only for another person to download it. Also I would like for it to keep it's editable properties so that others can view the changes and make changes themselves.
I'm sorry, it's not possible!

Nabus wrote:I run a RPG forum. Since the Chatbox doesn't have dice roller I have tried to create my own live game board. I have written a page where it is linked to the chat box in half the page where the other half links to a forum where players make their rolls.

This is a bit clunky and I have players complaining about not being able to see the whole board. (I know this has to do with my code) Truthfully though it is just a pain to run a live game this way. It takes forever and the players get frustrated going back and forth.

So an Idea I came up with is to build a spreadsheet that can create random numbers in specific fields. I know I can upload this spreadsheet to another site and link to it from my site but it doesn't keep all the specific properties that I included in the spreadsheet.

So I would like to place it in a HTML page and link that to a button on my home page and when we play a live game everyone just has to go to that page and log in. I would also have the sites chatbox iframed into it but it will be a much smoother process than what we currently have.

So that is basically what I am trying to do. Please help if you have any idea how to accomplish this.
Sincerely, here I'm a little confusing, can you explain what do you mean by spreadsheet and maybe post a screenshot, or a link that will describe your problem?

Back to top Go down

How to upload a document and keep it editable? Empty Re: How to upload a document and keep it editable?

Post by Nabus December 6th 2011, 7:53 pm

How to upload a document and keep it editable? Screen10

When I say spreadsheet I mean a mathematical database type of document.

My problem is that I can't upload a document to the site and have other players be able to view/edit it.

If the chatbox had a dice roller function in it I wouldn't have any issues.
Nabus

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum