The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[CSS Professional Requested] Members only code and a chat box change questions

2 posters

Go down

[CSS Professional Requested] Members only code and a chat box change questions Empty [CSS Professional Requested] Members only code and a chat box change questions

Post by AliiciaC January 6th 2012, 4:19 am

So I haven't actually made a forum yet, I just made a test one because I was recommended this place to make a forum by a friend, and I do like all the customization over InvisionFree which I'm using right now. So while playing around with PHPbb2, as I read around here that is more customizable than PHPbb3, I am trying to figure out a few things I was able to do in Invisionfree with a lot of javascript codes.

My main concerns are being answered by the admin panel and me searching the forums, but I cannot find an answer to these two things.

One, how do I make specific things members only. I don't mean like threads and topics, I know how to set permissions for that, what I don't get is how to block things on the homepage that you make, like I was playing around on test forum and made an announcement on the homepage, and I could still see it as a guest, I want to hide that announcement from the homepage from Guest, but I want members only to see it. So how do i do this?
I know with Inivisonfree I had to make a div ID and stuff and use some scripting, but I am not sure how to do that here as I was using invisionfree scripts from the forums.

So if anyone can just tell me a way to make announcements members only, that would be great, rather it be through javascript and div id's or whatever.

Secondly, the chat box, short question here, anyway to extend your sending box? The place where you type your message, it's far too tiny and can only see a little of what you post at a time. I'm OCD like that..I'd just like it bigger so I can see more of what I'm typing for longer messages, as you can tell I talk/type a lot...haha

Last edited by AliiciaC on January 7th 2012, 3:33 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : title change)
AliiciaC

Language : English

Back to top Go down

[CSS Professional Requested] Members only code and a chat box change questions Empty Re: [CSS Professional Requested] Members only code and a chat box change questions

Post by Codyy January 6th 2012, 11:52 pm

AliiciaC wrote:So I haven't actually made a forum yet, I just made a test one because I was recommended this place to make a forum by a friend, and I do like all the customization over InvisionFree which I'm using right now.
Welcome to ForuMotion! Smile

AliiciaC wrote:One, how do I make specific things members only. I don't mean like threads and topics, I know how to set permissions for that, what I don't get is how to block things on the homepage that you make, like I was playing around on test forum and made an announcement on the homepage, and I could still see it as a guest, I want to hide that announcement from the homepage from Guest, but I want members only to see it. So how do i do this?
I know with Inivisonfree I had to make a div ID and stuff and use some scripting, but I am not sure how to do that here as I was using invisionfree scripts from the forums.

So if anyone can just tell me a way to make announcements members only, that would be great, rather it be through javascript and div id's or whatever.
Since you are wanting to use phpBB2, you can do this using templates! However, the template codes do not work outside of the template. If you could manage to make a homepage out of your templates, this would be made possible to make it to where only logged in members can see particular content. It's pretty complicated at first, but it gets so much easier, after you've learned your basic codes!

AliiciaC wrote:
Secondly, the chat box, short question here, anyway to extend your sending box? The place where you type your message, it's far too tiny and can only see a little of what you post at a time. I'm OCD like that..I'd just like it bigger so I can see more of what I'm typing for longer messages, as you can tell I talk/type a lot...haha
I'm pretty sure this can be done using CSS codes. However, I am not sure of that code.
Codyy
Codyy
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1032

http://leprym.com

Back to top Go down

[CSS Professional Requested] Members only code and a chat box change questions Empty Re: [CSS Professional Requested] Members only code and a chat box change questions

Post by AliiciaC January 7th 2012, 1:44 am

Thank you for the welcome! And while that's nice to hear, that's far too much work just to hide announcements from guest..haha. I know how to hide nav bar links and threads from guest, just anything I put on the homepage messages or announcements, seem to show up when not logged in, and being a guest.

As for the chat, good to hear it can be done in CSS, I don't know how to do anything in that, but if someone knows a code that'd be great, that small little single line typing box is annoying..
AliiciaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Codyy January 7th 2012, 3:14 am

AliiciaC wrote:Thank you for the welcome! And while that's nice to hear, that's far too much work just to hide announcements from guest..haha. I know how to hide nav bar links and threads from guest, just anything I put on the homepage messages or announcements, seem to show up when not logged in, and being a guest.

As for the chat, good to hear it can be done in CSS, I don't know how to do anything in that, but if someone knows a code that'd be great, that small little single line typing box is annoying..
Haha, I understand your frustration with the chat. In your subject line, put something to the similarity of '[CSS Professional Requested]' and that should speed up your answering process. Also, I'm very sorry to hear about the homepage issue. If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask us! Smile
Codyy
Codyy
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1032

http://leprym.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AliiciaC January 7th 2012, 3:32 am

Thank you, I added what you said to the title in hopes for some coding help. Smile
AliiciaC

Back to top Go down

Post by AliiciaC January 8th 2012, 6:11 am

Bump up in hope for an answer..
AliiciaC

Back to top Go down

Post by AliiciaC January 9th 2012, 6:31 am

Going to give this one last bump. Don't want to fill my topic with just my bumping. If I don't get an answer, both of these problems I suppose I can live with, haha. But thanks in advance if someone can stumble across this.
AliiciaC

Back to top Go down