Logged out but shown as online. Plse Advise

Go down

Logged out but shown as online. Plse Advise Empty Logged out but shown as online. Plse Advise

Post by Guest on January 6th 2008, 8:37 pm

Hello all,

This has happened to me twice during the last month, but never before (at my own forum).
I logged out.
Everything indicated that I was logged out
(eg: "Log-in" button and panel showing, no link to Admin Panel, etc)
BUT in the "Who is Online" module - my username was displayed.
Refreshed the page several times and still no change.

Then logged-in and went directly to my profile and changed my password.
Then logged-out.
My name no longer showing in "Who is online" - so it seems that change of password solved the problem.

Please could you advise me about this - as I'm a bit naive on these things.

Could this just have been a temporary technical fault?
(though its happened twice now & only corrected when I change my password)
Or could it be that someone has got hold of my password, wait to see when I'm online and then they log in as well???
(or am I getting paranoid!!)
Or are there any other reasons that could have caused this?

I've just read somewhere in this Support Forum that by using a Forums email address, could cause hacking problems?? I did recently create a new email address for my Forum (first one I've ever created with my forum's name) and changed the email address in my Profile to the new one. I've now changed that back to my old email address in my Profile, just in case.

Any advice in relation to any of this would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Cas Hello

PS Just had a thought. Is it possible to have a username and/or password for logging into Administration Panel - different to the one for logging into the Forum only?

Back to top Go down

Logged out but shown as online. Plse Advise Empty Re: Logged out but shown as online. Plse Advise

Post by Luky on January 6th 2008, 10:25 pm

It's probably a little glitch. No need to worry about. And I really doubt that someone is waiting for you to log out and then login since that would have to be done at exactly the same time you log out so.Also if you change your admin password more often and have a good admin password then it will be very hard for you to get hacked.
As for the "Is it possible to have a username and/or password for logging into Administration Panel - different to the one for logging into the Forum only?"
No you can't.
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Logged out but shown as online. Plse Advise Empty Re: Logged out but shown as online. Plse Advise

Post by Skittles on January 7th 2008, 2:05 am

I know that with many other forums that I am a member at or a mod, there is a setting where you can determine how long you want to have your forum to refresh the who's online list. Most forums have it set for 10 mins. So even if you are online, it will still show you as if you are there, even when you are not. Same for other members.

When I set up a forum for some friends who had paid for a hosting site, and we uploaded phpbb3, there was a place in the admin panel where you could change that time. But since this place has their own format, the admin panel looks much different than if u were to put phpbb3 on your own hosting site.

So far I have not found this setting here, so I don't know if that is an option or if there is a default setting for the formation forums, when it comes to how often the who's online list will refresh.
Skittles
Skittles
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

http://moonlightcafe.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on January 21st 2008, 7:08 am

Thanks very much Luky and skittlespc for your reassurance. Sorry for the delay getting back here after I posted that last message, have been sidetracked somewhat with other stuff. You know - as happens Laughing

Anyway - that little glitch doesn't seem to have reoccured since then, so hopefully all OK!! After that little fright, I shall change my password at regular intervals in future to keep on the safe side.

Thanks again

Cas Hello

Back to top Go down

Post by Luky on January 21st 2008, 9:17 am

You're welcome Wink
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum